We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    What did you sow pennys?

You know that summer of 2019 we had a few back :) I went wild.

I planted a cross section of ALL things Toms / Cucumbers / Chillies / Aubergine / courgettes / coriander etc.

I had 5 propagators and used them all :).

The new one that opened I put inside on the windowsill along with a pot full of coriander and the other 4 I left outside in the sunniest part of the garden.

Then the summer ended :)

Nothing has sprouted in any of the containers.

So yesterday, I bought 2 of the 4 from outside inside into the dining room and moved the new one into the living room and gave it pride of place next to the TV.

The wife wasn't impressed and I got some comment like 'you care more about that then me'. She's NOT the gardening type :)

I may get home to divorce papers tonight :) on the grounds of 'he loves his plants more then me':)
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nice hour or so spent sowing.
    I've put in
    Peppers - Sweet California Wonder
    Peppers - Not Cayenne
    Tomato - Green Giant and San Marzano
    Celery - Green Sleeves
    Cucumber - Telegraph Improved
    Broad Beans - Sutton Dwarf

Picked out a few direct some seed packets to take up on my next visit.
    Early birthday present arrived - Mini wooden greenhouse. Might have a go at building it tomorrow.

Wind and rains set in till Saturday - Boo!!!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all!
    Slugs and snails - I keep the stalks from the Loganberry, when the fruited branches have to be removed in the Autumn. They are covered in sharp prickles. I cut them into various lengths, even just a few inches, then put them loosely in a tray to be kept dry over winter.
    I place them around plants the following Summer, and they keep the slugs and snails away.
    Are Raspberry stalks this prickly? If so they could be used in the same way.
    (Recommendation - the Loganberry produces huge crops of large berries)

4 inch slices of large plastic bottles are good too - with a fringe cut around the top and bent in all directions, then placed around individual plants.

There are a couple of plants which the slugs just won't leave alone, such as Courgettes and Climbing French beans. These go in leaky buckets which have a rim, the bucket stands in its saucer, then on a brick standing in a larger shallow dish full of salty water. Even if that dries out, it still has a coating of salt, and it can be topped up easily. I hope I've described that ok. The salt must not get into the bucket containing the plant.
    I also go out with a torch and move the slugs and snails, to somewhere else. I can't destroy them at all.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    How tall do tomato seedlings have to be before they are considered too leggy? DH keeps worrying that our seedlings will be too leggy. They look fine to me! lol
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You know that summer of 2019 we had a few back :) I went wild.

I planted a cross section of ALL things Toms / Cucumbers / Chillies / Aubergine / courgettes / coriander etc.

I had 5 propagators and used them all :).

You might have gone just a teeny tiny bit crazy there :)

Your cucumbers, corgettes and aubergine might bite the dust, be prepard to re-sow those. They're not frost resistant much, and I would normally sow mine about late April, early May, because theformer 2 grow like crazy. Aubergines like heat, I do't tend to grow them much becase they don't fruit that much for me to give them room in the GH. I'm going to try some from Real Seeds this year to see if hey fare better.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    How tall do tomato seedlings have to be before they are considered too leggy? DH keeps worrying that our seedlings will be too leggy. They look fine to me! lol

If they have more than one pair of leaves they can be pricked out (if they are in a pot with others) and potted on. At the point you do this you can build up the level of the soil so that the leggy bit is buried under the surface.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Pennysmakepounds
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    You might have gone just a teeny tiny bit crazy there :)

Your cucumbers, corgettes and aubergine might bite the dust, be prepard to re-sow those. They're not frost resistant much, and I would normally sow mine about late April, early May, because theformer 2 grow like crazy. Aubergines like heat, I do't tend to grow them much becase they don't fruit that much for me to give them room in the GH. I'm going to try some from Real Seeds this year to see if hey fare better.

YUP - me thinks I may need to start again with a few of them.

Plus with the winds last night, the trays of planted seeds that were outside didn't fair too well.

Glad I bought 2 of the 4 trays inside now :)

Onwards and upwards, still only March so there is hope for me yet :)
    :jTo be Young AGAIN!!!!...what a wonderfull thought!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My tomatoes absolutely shot up and were very leggy. I transplanted them into deep soil with only their seed leaves and a root and I can only hope for the best. Next year gro lights!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,511 Forumite
    Options
    They'll be fine, don't worry, they can grow roots along the length of any part of the main stems and secondary main stems anyway, so planting them deep won't hurt them, they'll just grow more roots :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pablosmummy
    Options
    Had a quick walk ( swim) around the garden and everything is starting to wake up! Got new shoots on blackberries, raspberries, the buds on the goosberries, cherry trees and apples are starting to open ( hoping they'll hold.off until this cold weather goes tbh) my calendula has some flower buds showing and my daffodils are finally starting to open!
    Going to be realistic about my indoor seedlings today and get rid of what I don't need as I'm running out of windowsill room!

Ooh also the mixed salad leaves I sowed on Monday are up already! Super fast
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport