We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We have used copper plumbing pipes (16mm) as arches (used a pipe bender) and red-lead colour paint so no copper leaching. The arches sit over the path between beds 3-4 and 5-6 so we grow climbing beans over the arches. We use these four beds for the traditional four crop rotation.

Today we cleared all the clutter cut down sticks and prunings, and covered prepped beds with old carpets. Then moved to a big (mostly flower) bed where we cut down blackthorn and brambles.

I have had a really hot bath and a long soak and still have so many thorns in my hands, fingers and arms. Other than using a needle or waiting, any effective solution for getting those tiny weeny bits out gratefully received please

edit; After a night of prickles and pain, there are around 6 I can't locate to remove
    Magnifying glass & tweezers - real good long tweezers as used for typesetting or army surplus medical tweezers. Pinch where you think the little blighter is hiding, locate & pull. If you can't see it, gently running the tip of the tweezers over the general area might help you locate & pull it

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have used copper plumbing pipes (16mm) as arches (used a pipe bender) and red-lead colour paint so no copper leaching. The arches sit over the path between beds 3-4 and 5-6 so we grow climbing beans over the arches. We use these four beds for the traditional four crop rotation.

Today we cleared all the clutter cut down sticks and prunings, and covered prepped beds with old carpets. Then moved to a big (mostly flower) bed where we cut down blackthorn and brambles.

I have had a really hot bath and a long soak and still have so many thorns in my hands, fingers and arms. Other than using a needle or waiting, any effective solution for getting those tiny weeny bits out gratefully received please

edit; After a night of prickles and pain, there are around 6 I can't locate to remove

Coat the areas with PVA glue, let it dry and peel.

Or make a bicarb paste, apply and cover with plaster. Leave over night and uncover in morning and they should have been pulled out.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Magnesium sulphate paste (can buy in chemists) over splinters, covered with a plaster, should draw them out. Good luck!

Have transplanted my pea seedlings to larger pots. Moved the rhubarb plant from its pot (should've done years ago, it was so root bound!), and into one of the borders in the garden. I bought one of the raspberry canes from lidl and that is now in the ground also. Picked up a few strawberry plants from garden centre and planted them up too.

Tried to tidy up an old planter we still have in garden. It's like a bag version, and its disintegrating. Plus, the soil was overrun with moss and other weeds where we had neglected them. I was surprised to find some spring onions and shallots growing in there though! Lol DD then wanted to pull them all out (they were too little to harvest really, but couldn't leave them in there either). I only managed to get the top layer of soil, with the moss and weeds out and into the green bin. Still too heavy to lift the bag up. I'm not strong enough, and neither is the bag anymore. I was a bit cream cracked, cold and windswept after all that! Lol

Also transplanted the courgette seedlings into larger pots as they have also taken off. Sowed some cucumbers and the black tomato seeds, and runner beans.

Surprised to see my chillies have germinated already!! They are from seeds I harvested from last years plants. Peppers and strawberry seeds still quiet. Everything else popping up! :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »

Surprised to see my chillies have germinated already!! They are from seeds I harvested from last years plants. Peppers and strawberry seeds still quiet. Everything else popping up! :)

It always amazes and delights me when seeds saved from previous year germinate and give you free plants and then free food. :T

Isnt nature amazing ?

Right so I have a hanging basket and three half moon baskets on my allotment shed. Didnt put anything in them last year and put bedding plants in the year before which looked really pretty but I'm wondering if I can put some summer bulbs in that would come back every year.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Pablosmummy
    Options
    Sowed my tomatoes this week and they've all come up already, sweet peppers and chilli's are nearly ready to !!!!! out, my marigolds and pansies are growing well so should be a decent size to plant out in a month or so.
    Crazy weather today, snow, rain, wind, thunder, sunny, hail and now rain again! Hoping everything is surviving out the garden
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I have got rid of four but as both the remaining two were from blackthorn rather than brambles, the finger and heel of my hand are a bit infected (I always get that) so I am not sure yet if hours of sucking, squeezing and searching is the only problem now. The prickly bit has gone.

It was bitterly cold here today so we collected the chicken wire from the nearby person who advertised it on FB marketplace and then made seed pots from newspaper cups in toilet roll holders (cut in half). Sowed chillies, peppers and tomatoes. Must tell Unwins how disappointed I was that the tomato seed packet from them contained just 6 seeds at 50p each! The Italian packets I bought in the market last year had at least 60 in and cost €1 each. Cuor di Bue - enormous things if there is enough sun!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    Options
    Some seed packets are really stingy! The black tomatoes I was after had only 6-8 seeds from sutton's and the like. At over £3 too! Found a site online selling packets with a minimum of 10 seeds (I got 12), at half the price!
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seed sowing indoors for me today, and will plug in the propagated to get another set of chillies going I think. Nothing happening in the ones I did last month so figure I'll put them in there plus a fresh sowing.
    Going to start off some beans today I think.

All my slates are clean too so a bit of arts and crafts.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Some seed packets are really stingy! The black tomatoes I was after had only 6-8 seeds from sutton's and the like. At over £3 too! Found a site online selling packets with a minimum of 10 seeds (I got 12), at half the price!

I bought a Black Russian trial pack from T&M while cruising their website ( - in fact I changed loads of my preferred varieties this year to take trial packs, children's packs and special offers) and there are about 20 seeds in the 99p packet.

The stingy packet is Sungold F1 (hybrid) so I can't even grow them from seeds I have harvested.

I don't have a propagator so my chillies are on top of the bug-zapper that is nice and warm
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    Options
    That's a good idea. Thanks Suffolklass.

I don't have a fancy propagator. I just got a set of 4 from Lidl for £3.99 last year (and didn't end up using it until this year). Not available online anymore, but there's still some in my local store. Most of my seedlings (including the chillies have done really well in there). Just waiting on the strawberries and sweet peppers to germinate.

Anyone ever ordered from Charlies.co.uk? They have a good elevated deep root planter we want, and they are cheapest available. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of using them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport