We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Under your former conifers, I would probably go for adding some compost, growing potatoes (they "clean" the ground) and planting salad crops (leaves and radishes) this year, then getting going properly next year by putting in the bushes - it really depends where else you could put them this year. If you have blueberries they would benefit from the acid soil that the conifer droppings will have caused.

I read this chap's blog http://www.nodiggardener.co.uk - Roger Brook.

This is quite a good you tube link (and the ones that sprout off it) Grow veg
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    Options
    I've managed to source only a couple of straw bales, I'll be using one for paths and the other I'll be attempting tomatoes in. If the summer is the same as last year, Ihave high hopes for them...although I may have spoken too soon there....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Made a great effort for 3 hours up the plot making a start on clearing the area for the poly. Need a bonfire over the weekend to clear the wood that's piled up now. Ideally before the rains set in next week.

Will try to get up there again tomorrow to clear out the incinerator and chop up the wood a bit. High winds predicted so not sure a bonfire is the best idea tomorrow but hopefully Sunday will be ok for it.

Also used two bed frame ends I rescued as a decoration on one of my beds - which now looks like a bed LOL

Opted to rejig my idea for wearing around my little pond area. Am going to utilise the broken chairs and swing seat to make a potted plant stand feature with. Just need to decide on plants. Something trailing I think, that'll give a nice cascade. Any suggestions?
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    You could try nasturtiums - decorative, attract polinating insects and tasty in a salad. Are you going to grow a climber on your bed frame too?
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm planning to get out in the garden today before the rain sets in. I still need to plant the two blueberry bushes and the rest of the bedding plants. When it rains, I'll stay in the greenhouse sowing veg seeds. I also need to thin out the lettuces in the raised bed at some point.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could try nasturtiums - decorative, attract polinating insects and tasty in a salad. Are you going to grow a climber on your bed frame too?

I was thinking I might try it. That bed is my intended herb garden so anything that fits in with that would be great, or just something pretty LOL

I'm already putting in nasturtiums along my beans but it's be nice to have some for eating that won't come with added black fly protein
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »

Also used two bed frame ends I rescued as a decoration on one of my beds - which now looks like a bed LOL?

Love this! I'd really like to hear what other people have used in their garden that is slightly unconventional. We have the metal rods from a table football game with the players attached to keep the netting in place around the fruit cage. It looks rather fun. We've recycled odd bits of furniture and household items before. The vines are growing up old goal posts that my sons outgrew some years ago. My mum grows flowers in her old walking boots. And I've used those old white metal oval roasting dishes too. They look great.

What have you recycled in your gardens?
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 10 March 2019 at 8:14AM
    Options
    We have used copper plumbing pipes (16mm) as arches (used a pipe bender) and red-lead colour paint so no copper leaching. The arches sit over the path between beds 3-4 and 5-6 so we grow climbing beans over the arches. We use these four beds for the traditional four crop rotation.

Today we cleared all the clutter cut down sticks and prunings, and covered prepped beds with old carpets. Then moved to a big (mostly flower) bed where we cut down blackthorn and brambles.

I have had a really hot bath and a long soak and still have so many thorns in my hands, fingers and arms. Other than using a needle or waiting, any effective solution for getting those tiny weeny bits out gratefully received please

edit; After a night of prickles and pain, there are around 6 I can't locate to remove
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,694 Forumite
    Options
    We said yes to the allotment. I wanted to try the no dig but husband insisted he would dig it. So two hours on a sat and sun, he digs, pulls up roots and rakes. He has done half. I bought a load of seed tapes from lidl,some seed potatoes, bean seeds and got a load of canes.
    This year will be a very much trial and error, but it gets us out into the fresh air.
    Here's hoping we get some produce. I really hope I can have some Christmas dinner veg.

Love reading this thread. Thankyou
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    CAFCGirl....................absolutely love the making the bed look like a BED thing. :T

JIL..........every year is trial and error for me even after 12 years of having an allotment, like to try something new each year and some things just evolve. Good luck with your new plot.

I brought a few sticks of early rhubarb home yesterday and will make a crumble for one night in the week.

Spent the afternoon weeding the rest of the plot. All my bulbs are coming up with a few daffs already in bloom. I love this time of year even though its a busy time getting seeds on the go at home and losing my dining table in the process.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure