PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy now or wait till BREXIT

Options

Comments

• MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    everyone is being silly with houses priced by over ambitious agents and owners. But nothing is selling.

And yet 100,000 properties are being bought and sold every single month and that's been consistent for years so your anecdotal experience is not what's happening across the rest of the UK.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Here’s one

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5953884

Post #6 out of context.

Sorry I could back it up during working hours, I’m not here 24/7 but job done now I think.

Context is super important.

Post 6 is something the seller should ask themselves, Post 9 is something they can ask the EA. What is your point?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Post 6 is something the seller should ask themselves, Post 9 is something they can ask the EA. What is your point?

The seller asked what questions they should ask the EA.
    You replied with something they can ask themselves (without making that clear).
    That's out of context (of their question).

You asked me to back up where you'd taken something out of context and I have done.

If you are going to answer a different question to the one being asked them it would be extremely helpful if you could make the context clear as it would make your posts a lot easier to understand.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    The seller asked what questions they should ask the EA.
    You replied with something they can ask themselves (without making that clear).
    That's out of context (of their question).

You asked me to back up where you'd taken something out of context and I have done.

If you are going to answer a different question to the one being asked them it would be extremely helpful if you could make the context clear as it would make your posts a lot easier to understand.

You consistently discuss your experiences of buying in the early 90`s in relation to people buying now, at the tail end of the biggest property bubble in history. IMO that is well out of context.
  • GarethEmc2
    Options
    IMO, there may be a small decline in prices directly after Brexit, however experts are all suggesting the market could rise by between 1-4% by the end of the year.

Banks are also still lending a fairly high LTV at the same rate as has been for quite some time now. If they were predicting a housing crash, they would be currently preparing - by decreasing max LTV and increasing rates.

Also, demand for housing is still high. This should therefore mean that prices will remain fairly safe from a market crash. Plus, this is nothing like the crash of 2008 - banks now have much stricter rules to pass when providing mortgages than pre 2008.

If you're in the market for the long-run, I don't think there's any reason not to purchase property now - Brexit may go on for months past the March 29 deadline
  • Monkeysocks42
    Options
    Out of interest, does anyone else literally just skip past any comments from Crashy Time? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a "glass half empty" kind of person but my glass does at least have something in it!
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    GarethEmc2 wrote: »
    IMO, there may be a small decline in prices directly after Brexit, however experts are all suggesting the market could rise by between 1-4% by the end of the year.

Banks are also still lending a fairly high LTV at the same rate as has been for quite some time now. If they were predicting a housing crash, they would be currently preparing - by decreasing max LTV and increasing rates.

Also, demand for housing is still high. This should therefore mean that prices will remain fairly safe from a market crash. Plus, this is nothing like the crash of 2008 - banks now have much stricter rules to pass when providing mortgages than pre 2008.

If you're in the market for the long-run, I don't think there's any reason not to purchase property now - Brexit may go on for months past the March 29 deadline

That`s right, QE won`t work now, and rates could hardly go any lower? (The US could go through the pantomime of dropping rates slowly again until they bump into Big fat Zero once again, but what would be the point?) So don`t expect another bailout like last time, they just don`t have the ammo left IMO.
  • JakeHall
    JakeHall Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    It all depends on your area, what's available and your risk appetite.

I recently exchanged, but it was at a price that for me was comfortably lower than the highest sold on the street. So it met my appetite. But that doesn't mean it would have met someone else's.

I saw many listings where sellers were trying to sell at a new high, the same high, or just under. I moved straight on. I simply don't have the risk appetite to buy something that could be worth thousands less by the time I complete.

A lot of estate agents also tried to show me new builds. That's generally even higher risk in this market as they carry that new premium that immediately disappears and modern designs are very box-like and undesirable, which can limit the reselling market.

However, others may be entirely happy to buy those types of properties. For example it may be their forever home or perhaps it's a property that rarely comes to the market where they live etc.

Just make sure you do lots of research, don't get emotionally attached, and don't fall for any estate agent tricks. Failing at these things is costly at the best of times. In these uncertain times it can be disastrous.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    JakeHall wrote: »
    It all depends on your area, what's available and your risk appetite.

I recently exchanged, but it was at a price that for me was comfortably lower than the highest sold on the street. So it met my appetite. But that doesn't mean it would have met someone else's.

I saw many listings where sellers were trying to sell at a new high, the same high, or just under. I moved straight on. I simply don't have the risk appetite to buy something that could be worth thousands less by the time I complete.

A lot of estate agents also tried to show me new builds. That's generally even higher risk in this market as they carry that new premium that immediately disappears and modern designs are very box-like and undesirable, which can limit the reselling market.

However, others may be entirely happy to buy those types of properties. For example it may be their forever home or perhaps it's a property that rarely comes to the market where they live etc.

Just make sure you do lots of research, don't get emotionally attached, and don't fall for any estate agent tricks. Failing at these things is costly at the best of times. In these uncertain times it can be disastrous.

Very good advice.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Out of interest, does anyone else literally just skip past any comments from Crashy Time? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a "glass half empty" kind of person but my glass does at least have something in it!

Don`t you realise that probably more than half the country will be celebrating a house price crash? The Leave vote is partly a direct result of silly high housing costs propped up by low rates and government schemes designed to help bankers and developers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure