PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy now or wait till BREXIT

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 January 2019 at 11:11PM
    Options
    When did we have zero rates?

The "massive central bank bailout" was over ten years ago...

Do you really, really believe it is not supply and demand holding prices up?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/01/13/quantitative-easing-reversal-suck-12trillion-global-financial/

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/quantitative-easing
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I do.
    Supply is contrained and people ar being outbid on properties - you can read about it here everyday.

I am not saying the market is booming (as I know you frequently take things out of context).
    Supply is constrained and prices are set at the margins.
    In most areas of the country (London excepted) prices are still rising even though we've have rising rates and brexit uncertainty.

Can you quote an example?
  • Currently selling property at moment. Been on market for 4 days. 1 offer for home report valuation made after less than 48 hours on market. Agent about to set closing date. 4 parties bidding so far. 5 more viewers booked in this week so far. I’m in Edinburgh. Property risen in value over last 4 years and is being sold for correct value not any kind of ‘quick sale’ price.
  • P.s. my bidders so far are 1 investor, 2 first time buyers and 1 parent buying for their child.

No doubt crashy will be along in a minute to tell everyone why my real life example of supply being less than demand is flawed.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 January 2019 at 10:46AM
    Options
    Can you quote an example?

I could, but Im going to choose to help someone else instead with useful questions to ask EAs.
    Happy for others to judge on what they see of your contribution and mine.
  • letsbetfair
    Options
    Currently selling property at moment. Been on market for 4 days. 1 offer for home report valuation made after less than 48 hours on market. Agent about to set closing date. 4 parties bidding so far. 5 more viewers booked in this week so far. I’m in Edinburgh. Property risen in value over last 4 years and is being sold for correct value not any kind of ‘quick sale’ price.

That's similar to the experience of a friend who sold a 1 bed place in Edinburgh recently. No idea what's going on in Dundee at the moment - more places than usual going to a closing date, and prices also being dropped on more places than usual.

There does seem to be a lot of local variation, and just general uncertainty...
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I could, but Im going to choose to help someone else instead with useful questions to ask EAs.
    Happy for others to judge on what they see of your contribution and mine.

:rotfl: But you accused me of making statements without backing them up (even when I posted the links as evidence) now you are making statements (about posters, not stats) and failing to back it up?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    P.s. my bidders so far are 1 investor, 2 first time buyers and 1 parent buying for their child.

No doubt crashy will be along in a minute to tell everyone why my real life example of supply being less than demand is flawed.

Got a link?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :rotfl: But you accused me of making statements without backing them up (even when I posted the links as evidence) now you are making statements (about posters, not stats) and failing to back it up?

Here’s one

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5953884

Post #6 out of context.

Sorry I could back it up during working hours, I’m not here 24/7 but job done now I think.

Context is super important.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    I'm out small town everyone is being silly with houses priced by over ambitious agents and owners. But nothing is selling. There's a pattern - house overpriced, try to rent it out at overpriced amount, neither works, sold at about 20% less than asking price or taken off market. Rinse and repeat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure