PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy now or wait till BREXIT

Options

Comments

• jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Thanks for the link. Interest rates falling still so it seems. Many predicted otherwise.
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Finchy2018
    Options
    We are FTBs. We just exchanged on a property.
    We currently rent a nearly identical property and our mortgage is going to be £200 a month less than our current rent. We don't plan on moving again for at least 5 years, maybe longer so Brexit didn't really put us off, we discussed it and decided we wanted to own a place.

Maybe prices will come down, but that could happen at anytime.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jimbog wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Interest rates falling still so it seems. Many predicted otherwise.

From the link -

"Sykes says it is difficult to see further drops in the near future as the margins that banks are operating on are tight."

Interest rates "falling" is very different to some banks cutting mortgage interest rates, by a tiny amount, because there are no longer enough people out there who want mortgage debt (not at current house prices anyway) The rate that matters is the US rate, and they are raising, and when the inevitable happens in the EZ expect more volatility and rate rises IMO.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Finchy2018 wrote: »
    We are FTBs. We just exchanged on a property.
    We currently rent a nearly identical property and our mortgage is going to be £200 a month less than our current rent. We don't plan on moving again for at least 5 years, maybe longer so Brexit didn't really put us off, we discussed it and decided we wanted to own a place.

Maybe prices will come down, but that could happen at anytime.

Did you get a five year mortgage?
  • letsbetfair
    Options
    Did you get a five year mortgage?

I can't speak for that poster, but another way to mitigate the risk of rate rises is to get a 2yr fix and overpay/save a fair amount. That's my plan, and if rent is substantially less than than mortgage may be an option for others too ..
  • mpr87
    mpr87 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a first time buyer, We've got an offer out there but not agreed yet. We are looking at a 25% deposit and after discussions with a mortgage advisor I think we are looking to go for a 5 year fixed rate. Which atleast as far as mortgage payments are concerned would hopefully give us a bit of certainty/stability.

As far as house prices are concerned whilst I could be a little worried the house we are after is one that we intend to stay in long term so should house prices drop whilst it would be a bit annoying it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think the problem is no one really knows what is going to happen and i've seen house prices go up quote a bit and i can't really see them slumping massively any time soon because there is so much demand in the area i live.

were both living seperately at home with parents at the moment and don't really want to rent.
  • Finchy2018
    Options
    We got a 2 year fix. With plans to over pay for those two years. We are also in a position where we have a substantial amount in savings should either of us lose our jobs (approx 2.5 years of our combined income) or wish to significantly reduce the ltv when the 2 years is up.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    mpr87 wrote: »
    I'm a first time buyer, We've got an offer out there but not agreed yet. We are looking at a 25% deposit and after discussions with a mortgage advisor I think we are looking to go for a 5 year fixed rate. Which atleast as far as mortgage payments are concerned would hopefully give us a bit of certainty/stability.

As far as house prices are concerned whilst I could be a little worried the house we are after is one that we intend to stay in long term so should house prices drop whilst it would be a bit annoying it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think the problem is no one really knows what is going to happen and i've seen house prices go up quote a bit and i can't really see them slumping massively any time soon because there is so much demand in the area i live.

were both living seperately at home with parents at the moment and don't really want to rent.

Really? You believe that it is demand that is holding prices up, not zero rates, HTB and a massive central bank bailout of the financial system? Mortgage approvals and sales transactions are way down across the general market so you must live in a real property hotspot? The loose credit experiment from about 2001 to the bust in 2008 isn`t likely to be repeated, neither is the scale of the bailout (US is now raising) and all that helping out Wall St and The City has done is bring in Trump, Brexit and the European "Populists", so I hope that people who have been braying about rising house prices (not you) can join the dots as we head towards a "No Deal" Brexit :)
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You believe that it is demand that is holding prices up, not zero rates, HTB and a massive central bank bailout of the financial system?

When did we have zero rates?

The "massive central bank bailout" was over ten years ago...

Do you really, really believe it is not supply and demand holding prices up?
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Really? You believe that it is demand that is holding prices up

I do.
    Supply is contrained and people ar being outbid on properties - you can read about it here everyday.

I am not saying the market is booming (as I know you frequently take things out of context).
    Supply is constrained and prices are set at the margins.
    In most areas of the country (London excepted) prices are still rising even though we've have rising rates and brexit uncertainty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure