NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New

edited 29 December 2018 at 7:58PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
632 replies 42.3K views

Replies

• XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please can you add me to the list CCL? I fell off the wagon in December but am back on it again for January. I will be back later when I have thought about each point.

Thank you for setting up this months challenge.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Wanna_Bee_FreeWanna_Bee_Free Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the new challenge CCL - loads of people joining your party - please count me in!

I’m going to go for 10 NSDs this month. Off to think about the new rules.
    Cutting Down Alcohol: 2020 112. 2021 Target 150 Current Total 96
    20: J12 F11 M03 A14 M07 J13 J08 A07 S15 O07 N11 D04
    21: J12 F13 M14 A11 M11 J07 J13 A04 S11
  • RhiBiRhiBi Forumite
    678 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭
    I'd love to join in with this! I'd like to go for 10 NSD's please. I've signed up for RED January so I've got the exercise bit sorted! I definitely need to use up what is in my cupboards and freezer so food shops should just be fresh stuff plus our weekly, planned for, curry on a Saturday evening!
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the new challenge CCL. I'm in.

I don't do NSD's but I think I will give it a go for January and will try for 15.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • mothernerdmothernerd Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hugs fmess and ee - have been missing you but did not want to hassle you as I know I tend to go quiet when times are tough. Waves to all returning turtles and a warm welcome for new ones.

No turtle gets left behind
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • FmessFmess Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you mothernerd, you are right, I have been wading through the treacle of life/work but I determined to get back to being myself and the end is in sight for work at least. I have more debts but my income is temporarily higher so need to cut back on areas to get more if this debt gone!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • RhiBiRhiBi Forumite
    678 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭
    Can I ask a stupid question? I've seen these threads for a long time but I've never been able to work out what NST stands for!! I know it's going to be obvious when I'm told though :rotfl:
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all :hello:
    I have to say I'm thrilled at how many people want to join in with my little challenge. Welcome everyone, old and new - hoping that this will be a month of survival and a bit of fun as well. Everyone is numbered up to here, and if you have posted and I've left you out please let me know (sorry - I'm not the best organised human on earth).
    Huge congratulations 364ab on becoming debt free. It's a great feeling :D

So, I thought I should set my goals for the month ahead. I had mine in mind when I wrote the post but haven't shared them.

Spend free days (NSD’s) – I'm going for 15. Need to be more mindful of my spending.

Make plans for the month – Regulars on here will know that my divorce should be final within the first week of the month, and I fully intend to celebrate that - either with a night out or a luxury takeaway. I also have my sister's birthday in January so need to be available for that. Should actually be a fun January - I also have a couple of days working in London so a paid for break from the norm :D

Always pay your debts first – I wish I knew what my debt total was but that saga rumbles on. However, I want to reduce food spends and start paying off my fridge.

List your frogs – Write a list of jobs that you have been putting off doing, no matter how big or small.
    I'm already starting on this as it's a big list

Little savings – Even if you’re paying off a lot of debt, you should be aiming to put a little bit of something away as an emergency fund.

Chill out – Crochet, just for me.

Helping others – I donate to cat charities, plus always buy sanitary towels for our stock at work. Heads of Year at our place regularly need to supply these...

Always be grateful – Take time every day to think about and write down three things in life that you are grateful for.

New to You – This will be working my way through my yarn stash :D

Get involved

Exercise – I am just going to make sure I do one outdoors 'job' a day - walking to the doctors or popping to the shop if I need milk or something. I'm not an exerciser and I never will be.

Sort it out – Lots of weird stuff lurking in cupboards here :D

• crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    RhiBi wrote: »
    Can I ask a stupid question? I've seen these threads for a long time but I've never been able to work out what NST stands for!! I know it's going to be obvious when I'm told though :rotfl:

I doubt it's obvious - it stands for Ninja Saving Turtles... :rotfl:
    Named after NinjaSavingKat - the original founder of the thread. I wasn't around in those days but I know some people will be able to explain more for you. :D
  • allie23allie23 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great challenge to start off 2019 CCL. My plans are added below.

:snow_laug NST Join In January Challenge
    :snow_grin

Spend free days (NSD’s) – If you’re an absolute beginner aim for 10, regular player 15, expert 20. I will aim for 10 NSDs in January.

Make plans for the month – Nights out, treats and outings should be planned well in advance, and reduced wherever possible. No popping into coffee shops or takeaways without prior planning – and try to limit yourself to a maximum of three for the month. January is usually a quiet month for us. Only planned outing is with parents-in-law for our belated Christmas night out. This is part of a Christmas gift from them so no cost to us.

Always pay your debts first – Set your budget at the beginning of the month and pay particular attention to areas where you’re likely to overspend (food for me). Make sure that you pay to your debts first. Budget is already set - our month starts on 25th as that is OHs pay day so the budget starts from then. We pay to savings first and this is already done.

List your frogs – Write a list of jobs that you have been putting off doing, no matter how big or small. If you’ve been meaning to make a phone call, or appointment, put some things away in a cupboard, go through a pile of post etc, then put it onto a list. Aim to cross one thing off the list each day in January and you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll feel as the month goes on. I have some decluttering to finish, a blind to repair, a kitchen chair to paint that's been sitting half done for a while.

Little savings – Even if you’re paying off a lot of debt, you should be aiming to put a little bit of something away as an emergency fund. I have decided to do the 1p savings challenge over 2019 with the theory being that on the days I can afford to add a bit more to the pot then I will, and on the days I can’t I should be able to find a penny or 5p piece lying about. I collect loose change as it accumulates throughout the month and bank it when appropriate.

Chill out – Whatever helps you to relax, make time for this – even if it’s only 15 minutes a day. Whether this is a hobby like reading, cooking, crochet or doing something for yourself like a long soak in the bath, or a mindfulness meditation. A small amount of time just for you leads to much better mental health. Quiet time away from the TV reading is my choice. In fact I might try a few no TV days in January as I feel it's always on.

Helping others – If you can, please consider donating to charity or to your local food bank. A pack of Basics sanitary towels costs 25p and would make a massive difference to a woman who needs them. If you are unable to donate money, then see if you can donate your time and/or expertise to someone who needs it. I will be asking lots for recipe ideas over the month. I have several items to donate to the CS.

Always be grateful – Take time every day to think about and write down three things in life that you are grateful for. Will aim to do this each day.

New to You – Before splashing out on new clothes, stuff for your house, magazines etc. consider whether or not you can get what you need by swapping with someone or going to a charity shop, using [email protected] or Fakeb00k. For example, I regularly swap books and magazines with my mam, which saves us both money. If you’re anything like me, you might have a stash of stuff somewhere that you’ve forgotten about – clothes, craft kit etc. It’s worth going through this too, and easily as much fun finding things you’ve forgotten about as it is finding something new in a shop. I am trying to reduce my book buying habit so the library will be a new regular feature.

Get involved – Try and check in on here every day if you can, just a quick hello can be really motivating to others, and you may pick up some helpful hints and tips from the other Turtles. Will try to comment each day, even if it's just with my gratitude list.

Exercise – It’s more important than ever to get outdoors when there are so few daylight hours. If you are an absolute beginner then aim for 10 minutes of walking every day (no matter the weather), if you’re a regular then aim for 1 more session each week than you would usually do. I REALLY need to do this one. I am aiming for at least 30 mins outside every day. Will aim to report progress daily too stay accountable.

Sort it out – Your food cupboards and stores. Someone on the Small Things thread made a ‘use it up’ box of foodstuffs, filled with items that were lurking unloved and unused. I encourage you to do the same and aim to use 1 item from the box every time you cook. If you’re not sure what to do with the item then ask on here, and I have no doubt that the Turtles will be here to help. Will do an inventory with OH this afternoon.

Frugal Living Challenge 2021
    Save £12k in 2021 - Challenger No 4 - £6482/£40k
    May 2021 Grocery Challange £/£180
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides