NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New

edited 29 December 2018 at 7:58PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
632 replies 42.3K views

Replies

• shabbychic12shabbychic12 Forumite
    223 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Have spent the night sorting out my budget for January ( sticking to it will be the challenge) l am going use to the KAKEBO method of recording, l did this the first half of 2018 but lost momentum after the summer break. My finances and weight went to pot about the same time unfortunately. So focusing on both plus wellbeing. x
    Count down to retirement July 2022 now or never to save.
  • brizzlegirlbrizzlegirl Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hello :wave: I have followed greent over and would love to join in this month..planning to make some big changes and so will post properly tomorrow.

Thanks for setting up

Brizzle x
    DFFW - pay it ALL off in 2020- on track for February 2021 YAY!!!!
    MFW..aim for Dec 2023
    2021 Savings Rate - Goal 40% - best in 2019 66% November 2019
    February Goals LSDs 02/10 NSDs 02/05
    Exercise RT 60km Classes 6/12 12k steps per day pls
    Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
  • edited 31 December 2018 at 2:42PM
    Maisie_MMaisie_M Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2018 at 2:42PM
    Right here goes to a successful January

NSD – 0/15

Make plans for the month – I may have a night out with work in January as we didn’t get anything set up in January so will need to see what happens with that. Other than that days out with the kids will be walks etc or inexpensive days.

Always pay your debts first – budget for food set – no other spends planned as trying to be really frugal this month

List your frogs – have set up a list and I will let you know which ones I complete each day

Little savings – printed of the penny a day sheet and will do that this year. May not do them all in numerical order as I may do a mix during the months so that days I have a little extra I can do that and will put it into my savings account for next Christmas. Good thing is that DH is up for doing this too and thinks between us we can achieve £1000 !!!

Chill out – have been doing a lot of that the past week but will try to continue when I go back to work

Helping others – will do

Always be grateful – 3 things I am grateful for are:

New to You – I am trying not to buy anything in January except food that is needed as I have so much stock in and we really don’t need anything. Also hoping to lose weight so that I can fit into lots of clothes that are too tight.

Get involved – will do

Exercise – aiming for 10,000 steps a day.

Sort it out – love the idea of a use it up box as I have lots of things I have bought for a recipe and then never used again.

• Spend free days (NSD’s) – Aiming for 15 after missing my target for the first time in December.

Make plans for the month – I use a family organiser for this which includes financial plans and meal plans. Wasn't great at meal planning last month, Christmas and travelling got in the way rather. Will try and do better.

Always pay your debts first – No debts. I have no proper income any more, DH saves and I manage joint pots of "rolling" savings. We have a proper budget book this year and will fill it in for January later. May see if we can challenge ourselves to lower the grocery bill (just as I'm trying to get some solids into DD - should be interesting!)

List your frogs – Ah carp. I have so many! I am lucky if I can get to one a week, so to set me off I need to do the filing, tidy out a cupboard of DD's outgrown and to-grow-into things, and a declutter sense check on the living room

Little savings – DH's department but I do make sure ongoing and as hoc costs are budgeted and saved for.

Chill out – I will aim for 30 minutes a week. This usually takes the form of giving DD to hubby at the weekend and having a quick bath. Loved the reading challenge from last month and will try and keep this up whilst DD feeds (a moment of silence when I can do nothing else!)

Helping others – Will do. I tend to find little things to do as I go along. I am not charity shopping this month though, which is my regular contribution!

Always be grateful – will do

New to You – Always do this. The only things I may be tempted by this month are some sticky hooks and a shoe rack!

Get involved – always try, often fail :o

Exercise – I try and get out with DD every day for a walk.

Sort it out – I like the idea of this. I generally know what to do with everything in my stores, but sometimes I don't feel I have the time/space to use things that take longer to work with. I will try and use some of these up an think carefully before purchasing again.
  • iloveteailovetea Forumite
    980 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New year everybody.

NSD's Aiming for 20.
    PLANS FOR THE MONTH. No plans at all.
    PAY DEBTS FIRST. No debts but want to build a good savings pot.
    DD to savings at the beginning of the month.
    LIST YOUR FROGS. Mine is a gigantic elephant. My stash of crafting
    goodies. Going to sell,give away or recycle.Will
    not buy anymore.
    LITTLE SAVINGS. Put small change and 20p's in pot. Don't get many
    as I don't go out spending very often.Will count
    20p's and add them to savings on Wed.
    CHILL OUT. This is rather easy for me :rotfl: Quite laid back.Too
    much at times. Cross stitch is my "thing" at the
    moment.
    HELPING OTHERS. Do a couple of shifts at the charity shop each
    week. Helps them and gets me out of the house
    for a while.
    ALWAYS GRATEFUL. When you look around we all have something
    to be grateful for,however small.
    NEW TO YOU. I don't need anything. My downfall is buying
    crafting magazines. Never make any of the things
    in them,just look at the pictures.
    GET INVOLVED. Will try and check in everyday.
    EXERCISE !!!!!!
    SORT IT OUT. My kitchen cupboards could do with a sort
    out.Maybe tomorrows job.

Went out today for some bananas so that tomorrow will be my first NSD :j

ilovetea xx
    #8 Make £2021 in 2021. £1,884.16/£2021.
    Declutter 1,500 things in 2021 1091/1500
  • craftingmadcraftingmad Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Please count me in :)

January I am going to:-

have 16 NSD's
    only have 1 takeaway or meal out
    Declutter dining room
    Book car MOT
    Cancel unwanted subscriptions/downgrade memberships
    Haggle with sky
    pay £750 into savings account (hopefully left over from end of the month and pay in £250 christmas money gift)
    Read every day before bedtime (hopefully both me and my kids)
    Start donating a monthly sum to charity
    Start and keep a gratitude diary
    Read this thread every day
    Not buy any crafting supplies as I must use what I have
    Exercise every day (10minute walk every day and at leas 30 minute gym or wii fit session each weekday)
    Make a fridge and freezer inventory
    Meal plan all month
    Mortgage - [STRIKE]£125k[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £32k[/STRIKE] £24k OP Made 2010 £29320 OP 2011 £4200
    BTL Mortgage £81K BTL Mortgage £82
    No Craft Spending in 2020 53/366 Stash Busting Challenge 2020 244/2020

1% club member 17,18& 21 - 100% reached 3 times £10k :j New Target £300.57/£5000 6%
    NSD JAN 10/20
  • Kerry_WomanKerry_Woman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spend free days (NSD’s) – Will be aiming for 20.

Make plans for the month – Planning to see 2 films at cinema. Will bring my own refreshments. The cost is £4.99 per film. These are my only plans at the moment.

Always pay your debts first – Budget set. No debt. Do have savings, monthly DD already set up. Will add extra when I can.

List your frogs – So far only aiming to do somethings in the flat. Getting new carpets/lino (free appointment already booked for Thursday for measurements etc) and new curtains. Anything extra is a bonus.

Little savings – Any change from each week I will put coins into coin bags and when full will put into savings accounts. Also am always on the lookout for roadkill.

Chill out – This I already do. Will carry on with self-care, eg meditation, reading, wordsearch. This is very important for my MH.

Helping others – I will be making donation to SA as usual. Will be looking into food bank donation.

Always be grateful – Will do.

New to You – This I will be doing. Got quite a few cross stitch kits that I can start on.

Get involved – Will be checking in everyday.

Exercise
    – I also have joined up for R.E.D. January. Will be walking each day.

Sort it out – Will be making sure I am using everything up. Will be using up my toiletries – these I have really got down and monitoring them closely.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2021
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST September 2021 NSD 11/20
  • laurenh1laurenh1 Forumite
    756 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all :D

NSDS- aiming for 20:eek:
    Make plans- none , we were planning on going to Eureka this weekend but instead we went yesterday using Clubcard vouchers. got in for 60p rather than 44 & took packed lunch :A
    Always pay debts first- we only have the car loan, & it will be paid off this time next year.

List your frogs- I have started a list on my phone :D I am only on 7 so far.
    Little savings- we save £400 pm & currently have 11500 in our help to buy ISAs. However we need 20k ,were on track to get this to 17 by the end of the year. We have agreed any extra goes towards the gap, birthday cash, hub going away for work etc. No more can be saved from our usual pay. I moved £4 into our gap pot today just to make a start :D
    Chill out- this is my biggie. I'm a bit of a "Monica" & it does me no favours.

Helping others- I will do my best :D
    Always be grateful- I will be, I am very blessed.
    New to you- love this attitude & were a fairly "waste not want not family" but there is always room for improvement.
    Get imvolved- will be doing this daily.
    Excersize- starting tomorrow :D
    Sort it out- used some pork up for lunch today & i love the idea of a use up box. Added to my frog list.

Went through my penny box last night & took out all our 2ps for Butlins, I have asked all grandparents to keep them to one side too :D
    I feel ready for the challenge of 2019. Ive startes my budget book to keep a track on spending ,budgets are set. As always nervous about how little we live off but confident we can hit our target this year. our outgoings are about 75% Savings, childcare & the car loan. Hopefully by this time next year childcare & the car loan will be done :money:

Wishing you all the very best for 2019 wherever you are with your journey!!
  • jazzyjustlawjazzyjustlaw Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Please count me in

:snow_laug NST Join In January Challenge
    :snow_grin

The month of January is named after the Roman God Janus, who had two faces in order that he could look at both the future and the past at the same time. Janus is the God of transitions and beginnings and he symbolises changes in life and the universe.
    Many people see a New Year as a new beginning and the opportunity for a fresh start and to make changes in life. This January for me personally with be the beginning of an exciting new chapter in my life, and I am keen to learn from the mistakes I’ve made in the past in order to make the future an improvement.

We cannot stop change from happening, however we can influence it, and increasingly I am finding that small changes can make a big difference to everything. January is traditionally a ‘blue’ month in terms of finances, mood, weather etc and whilst many people start the month with grand ambitions, these can quickly be abandoned once the initial motivation wanes.
    And so, I present Join in January for the Turtles – the opportunity to make some small, sustainable changes that will hopefully add up to big benefits.

Spend free days (NSD’s) – If you’re an absolute beginner aim for 10, regular player 15, expert 20. Spend free days just make us a little bit more aware of needless spending. Yellow Sticker shopping, medication, fuel purchases and milk (greent) do not scupper your nsd’s.

10 for me

Make plans for the month – Nights out, treats and outings should be planned well in advance, and reduced wherever possible. No popping into coffee shops or takeaways without prior planning – and try to limit yourself to a maximum of three for the month.

Plans in the making one consists of afternoon tea already paid for. Another is a baby shower where the items are bought and paid for

Always pay your debts first – Set your budget at the beginning of the month and pay particular attention to areas where you’re likely to overspend (food for me). Make sure that you pay to your debts first.
    Bills will be paid

List your frogs – Write a list of jobs that you have been putting off doing, no matter how big or small. If you’ve been meaning to make a phone call, or appointment, put some things away in a cupboard, go through a pile of post etc, then put it onto a list. Aim to cross one thing off the list each day in January and you’ll be amazed how much better you’ll feel as the month goes on.

Got a few!!

Little savings – Even if you’re paying off a lot of debt, you should be aiming to put a little bit of something away as an emergency fund. I have decided to do the 1p savings challenge over 2019 with the theory being that on the days I can afford to add a bit more to the pot then I will, and on the days I can’t I should be able to find a penny or 5p piece lying about. I’ve printed off this chart and it’s on my fridge ready to go http://www.playpennies.com/media/playpennies-365-savings.pdf

Will do!

Chill out – Whatever helps you to relax, make time for this – even if it’s only 15 minutes a day. Whether this is a hobby like reading, cooking, crochet or doing something for yourself like a long soak in the bath, or a mindfulness meditation. A small amount of time just for you leads to much better mental health.

Will try.

Helping others – If you can, please consider donating to charity or to your local food bank. A pack of Basics sanitary towels costs 25p and would make a massive difference to a woman who needs them. If you are unable to donate money, then see if you can donate your time and/or expertise to someone who needs it. I will be asking lots for recipe ideas over the month.

I’m going to give items to the food bank. I think a few friends will too.

Always be grateful – Take time every day to think about and write down three things in life that you are grateful for.

I’m always grateful for everything.

New to You – Before splashing out on new clothes, stuff for your house, magazines etc. consider whether or not you can get what you need by swapping with someone or going to a charity shop, using [email protected] or Fakeb00k. For example, I regularly swap books and magazines with my mam, which saves us both money. If you’re anything like me, you might have a stash of stuff somewhere that you’ve forgotten about – clothes, craft kit etc. It’s worth going through this too, and easily as much fun finding things you’ve forgotten about as it is finding something new in a shop.

This might be tricky!

Get involved – Try and check in on here every day if you can, just a quick hello can be really motivating to others, and you may pick up some helpful hints and tips from the other Turtles.

I’ll try as and when I can.
    Exercise – It’s more important than ever to get outdoors when there are so few daylight hours. If you are an absolute beginner then aim for 10 minutes of walking every day (no matter the weather), if you’re a regular then aim for 1 more session each week than you would usually do.

I try for at least 8,000 so I’ll try and make it 10,000 steps.

Sort it out – Your food cupboards and stores. Someone on the Small Things thread made a ‘use it up’ box of foodstuffs, filled with items that were lurking unloved and unused. I encourage you to do the same and aim to use 1 item from the box every time you cook. If you’re not sure what to do with the item then ask on here, and I have no doubt that the Turtles will be here to help.

Most cupboards are okay but I’ll have another little shufty!!

As always, the challenge runs from midnight on the 1st Jan 2019 to 2359 on 31st January. Whether you’re going into the New Year with a bang, or more like me and intend to be asleep for the first 8 hours of it – we should all be able to make these small changes for the month ahead.

So - who will join me in January?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    36.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make plans for the month – Nights out, treats and outings should be planned well in advance, and reduced wherever possible.
    I don't really go out at night :o but I do have my local organisation events already written into my diary: U3A, the horticultural society, the healthy walks run by the council, and a few one-offs I've found online. Couple of family and friend meets are in there too, so far.

Always pay your debts first – Set your budget at the beginning of the month and pay particular attention to areas where you’re likely to overspend. I have an annual budget written now, with realistic levels for groceries and rail fares for trips out. Should be £6k a year, but no clothes, house maintenance or holidays in that!

List your frogsSetting the budget, and analysing the pension pots, is fast becoming a frog. I won't list enough for the whole of January, I'll freak myself out if I do that :D

Chill out – this is so sensible, but I don't do it. And I know I'll never stick to 15 minutes every day. I'll go for listening to meditation and/or hemisync tapes on my old portable CD player, 3 times a week.

Helping others – If you can, please consider donating to charity or to your local food bank. I will definitely be donating.

Always be grateful – Take time every day to think about and write down three things in life that you are grateful for. Always.

New to You – Before splashing out on new clothes, stuff for your house, magazines etc. consider whether or not you can get what you need by swapping with someone or going to a charity shop, using [email protected] or Fakeb00k. I'm in desperate need of a pair of nice jeans, but I need a little bit of weight loss to take me back to my autumn weight. Not the kind of thing I buy from CSs, though.

Get involved – Try and check in on here every day if you can. Absolutely :j

Exercise – It’s more important than ever to get outdoors when there are so few daylight hours. I do attend a weekly healthy walking group, though in truth its a saunter :) but I walk on my own as well, and with my sister. And I slave on my hedges in my garden :)

Sort it out – Your food cupboards and stores. Someone on the Small Things thread made a ‘use it up’ box of foodstuffs, filled with items that were lurking unloved and unused.
    I don't honestly need a separate box like that, the only thing I've been really bad on using my stocks is flour, and that was because I wasn't cooking, not at all, just heating things up. Now I'm cooking a couple of times a month, even the flour is going to be used (its very out of date, but I'm not throwing it!).
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021.......... Bunny hugger
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix