Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I realised I haven't worn my animal print shoes yet so I'm wearing them at home.:D
    candygirl wrote: »
    I go missing for a bit, n miss jumpsuitgate:eek::rotfl:

I like to stir up controversy on here.:rotfl:
    Sadly I’m struggling with my skin again, have had acne in various forms all my life, well, since puberty (weirdo hormones & health issues)
    I get boils, spots, raw patches and even sore areas on my neck (atm, that’s a new symptom) my skin also peels a lot and doesn’t heal very well.
    Any suggestions as to what I could try to help myself out a little..

Have you tried getting any help on the NHS? Someone I used to know had to go on a certain medication (can't remember the name) that worked for him.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon all.
    Got back from my Greek holiday in the early hours of Sunday so just trying to catch up. In 10 days I managed to put on half a stone but ive managed to lose 2lb since i got home - couldnt have been the alcohol could it?
    I didnt 'lie & fry' so I just look a healthy tan rather than an ompa loompa ;) and my nails have certainly benefitted from the sunshine too.
    Miserable, dark and raining here so I'm sorting out my summer clothes and have identified quite a few things to go to the CS that I've either never worn or they just dont feel right.
    Ive got a retirement do to go to on Friday and was considering wearing my jumpsuit........just saying ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 June 2019 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Sadly I’m struggling with my skin again, have had acne in various forms all my life, well, since puberty (weirdo hormones & health issues)
    I get boils, spots, raw patches and even sore areas on my neck (atm, that’s a new symptom) my skin also peels a lot and doesn’t heal very well.
    Any suggestions as to what I could try to help myself out a little..
    I do use coconut oil to moisturise my body (not face) when able and weleda skin food, also when its feeling happy.. I have no particular routine & I’m wondering if it could help me to have one??
    Thanks in advance, I love the advice and support on here.;)
    Ooooh n I confess to now owning a jumpsuit (or pantsuit:rotfl:) I love it even though I’m not particularly slender. :D

Ah bless you, acne is horrible.

Unfortunately there is no "cure" as such only careful management, unless of course it is teenage acne in which case it can sometimes clear all in its own good time. Although many women also suffer from hormonal acne which can strike at any time and which tends to be worse at certain times of the month whilst some poor ladies suddenly develop late onset acne when they hit the menopause. Some medications can also cause skin imbalances.

So as you can see there are several causes and there are hundreds of products on the market, both on prescription and over the counter. It might be a case of trial and error until you find the right treatments.

First the golden rule - whilst you need to keep your skin clean you must be very careful not to strip the acid mantle by using harsh products. Stripping the protective layer of sebum (the skins natural oil) can lead to acne becoming infected which can lead to scarring, also no squeezing the spots, because again this can lead to damaging the skin tissue and scars.

I second Wednesdays advice - go and see your GP. They will most probably suggest trying a topical cream containing active ingredients such as retinoids or benzoyl peroxide. You can buy them over the counter but I would suggest you see your GP first because if they think it's necessary they will give you a prescription strength one, they might also prescribe a course of oral antibiotics.

In cases where the acne does not respond to topical creams and/or antibiotics there are longer courses of various therapies, usually based on isotretinoin such as roaccutaine. They are very effective but they can have side effects so have to be carefully monitored.

Acne scars can be treated very successfully with lasers.

There are also several complimentary medicines you can take, either as stand alones or in conjunction with any medication supplied by your GP. Dietary changes might also help.

Have a good read up.....just google acne treatments, both medical and complimentary .....there's lots of information out there.

In the meantime, as soon as the sun returns get some sunshine on your skin....it helps no end.

Ps...just to add I get acne on my back. I use a product called Acnecide with contains 5% benzoyl peroxide. I have found it very effective. I have never used it on my face, although it says it can be - although obviously avoiding the mouth, nose and eye areas and any skin which is sensitive or damaged.
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies, I knew I’d get quality advice if I asked:D
    Shall go do a little research. The doctors aren’t too bothered, never have been, say its a side effect of errant hormones and now my PA (pernicious anemia) I will mention it again though (when I manage to see my GP!) just to see what she says..
    Thankoo again & I promise to try and stop picking :eek::rotfl::A
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Madam I agree with Lessons about firstly going to your GP and secondly not using harsh products.

I have polycystic ovaries, so my bad skin is hormonal. I did try my GP, but the cream they prescribed didn’t work. I have tried lots of products over the years and I thought the best I could hope for was clean skin, using products that didn’t make it worse. I have since tweaked my routine and have found products that work. I’m currently using and why -
    Body shop camomile cleansing oil - I found this didn’t try out my skin as it’s oil based
    Lush tea tree toner - this is a miracle worker. I think thr antibacterial properties are keeping my skin clean which I’d stopping my spots.
    The ordinary hyalauronic acid - my skin is dehydrated, so this puts the moisture back
    Lush celestial moisturiser - this cream is for sensitive skin.
    I’m also trialing The Ordinary buffet serum (for anti aging)

I’m not suggesting you use my products, but just to give you an idea of what is working and why. I’ve seen lots of positive reviews on The Ordinaryy and la Roche Possay is another brand to try.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies, I knew I’d get quality advice if I asked:D
    Shall go do a little research. The doctors aren’t too bothered, never have been, say its a side effect of errant hormones and now my PA (pernicious anemia) I will mention it again though (when I manage to see my GP!) just to see what she says..
    Thankoo again & I promise to try and stop picking :eek::rotfl::A

Have you recently started having B12 jabs? That often causes temporary acne :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Options
    chanie wrote: »
    I’m not suggesting you use my products, but just to give you an idea of what is working and why. I’ve seen lots of positive reviews on The Ordinaryy and la Roche Possay is another brand to try.
    Thanks for giving me a list of products to investigate or at least use as a guide as to what might help, much appreciated :)
    candygirl wrote: »
    Have you recently started having B12 jabs? That often causes temporary acne :(
    I remember the new to jabs acne flare up, the boils were so painful :(
    I’ve been having injections for the last 5 years now.. it’s also down to every 8 weeks as I have suffered perminant nerve damage to my face & eye after they ignored my inital plea for more jabs.
    I have recently (3 months ago) stopped taking my pill. They said that will effect me for a while.. I just wish for once I could have a reasonable normal looking skin & for the hirsutism to go! Grrrr & boo hiss to ruddy hormones..

Thanks again for the advice/suggestions, it really is good to feel I’m not so alone in this. :o
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Even though my right arm is still painful and I have limited use of it, my suitcase for me and my 2 children is packed for the family celebrations in Birmingham this weekend. :D As my 2 children are adults, they are dividing the luggage between them as I will not be able to carry any of the luggage.

I have had no choice but to take 2 dresses with me that will make it possible for me to get them on with my daughter's help. I had to rethink all of my clothing for the whole weekend because the pain and the lack of normal movement in my arm makes everything difficult. It will eventually go back to normal.

I am determined to enjoy the party and the trip to the nightclub tomorrow and reconnecting with my family. :D:j
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all

I've not been feeling very fab this week at all and have been off plan in so many ways!

I've still been doing thee bb cream and a touch of make up every day and trying to wear something nice but the awful weather has really thrown me.

It's sunny at the moment, though and I'm determined to get back on it today and find my mojo :)
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    It's like the middle of winter. So not inspiring for fashion
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills