PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 January 2019 at 11:10PM
    Options
    Well, really chuffed with myself today, finally braved it and dove into the garage in earnest, - it has to emptied by the end of next month for removal of old asbestos ceiling tiles EEEK! Anyway, moved all the paint into the brick store at the side of my house, and tidied that up so i have garden stuff in one places and household in the other. Car boot and back seat of stuff to chazza, all dropped off, various bits and bobs in the rubbish bin. I know the garage looks loads better, but theres still stuff to be sorted out, i just lost the plot after a few hours so thought that was enough for today!! Feeling so much better myself too, getting rid of at least some of the junk!!

Thanks everyone for your tips on webuyanybooks etc, useful info!!

gp xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Cheerleading to start :j - as my decluttering is not going that well :o

Cherryfudge, well done on your decluttering :T I hope you find all the missing personal/family mementos :) & that you are successful in the decluttering :D

chocolatelover93, well done on the sales:T Good luck with the table - it is lovely to sit at a table for meals :D

MadamMim2013,you are doing really well :T you must be creating loads of space :D Recipe sorting as well :T. So much out & so little in :T:T

Cranky40, so lovely that you can donate to a family member :D An hour well spent - think what you can do when you are feeling the love :rotfl: Decluttering your ‘To Do’ list counts - doubly so as you are also saving money :money:

Beshki, everything organised is another benefit of decluttering :T as well as the space you are creating :T

Marpau, like parsniphead I looked up Twiddlemuffs - what a lovely thing to knit/make :A & decluttering at the same time :T

parsniphead, what a great idea turning ‘sentimental’ into ‘useful’ :T Prep work & decluttering your ‘To Do’ list - you have been busy :T. Clean carpets are sooo nice :T:D The only trouble is (as you have noted :rotfl:) it makes the rest of the decor look a bit drab :rotfl: so you have to decorate :rotfl:

choille, tidying & making decisions counts as decluttering in my book :T How long will you wait on the egg boxes before they go in the recycling? If you set a deadline & then move them on - you will feel a lot better :D. Well done on the sale - item out, money in :T:T

bit by bit, it always surprises me how many benefits there are to decluttering & you have just come up with another one - being happy walking to work :D:T:D. Well done on clearing a table :T

bargainhunterss, so many bits sorted :T It is the little things that make us so happy :D - mine is having an empty shelf :rotfl:

Gem-gem, recuperating & decluttering :T:T Now dealing with cupboards of doom & making repairs :T glad you are fully recovered :D. Books out, money in & space created :T:T:T I like it that you have a 3 year reading list :D

Notmy1sttime, well done on clearing the understairs cupboard :T:T Mine is looming large as it is ‘A Cupboard of Doom’

Will return later - I must go to sm for missing bits for tonight’s dinner :o

See you later :D

MrsSD
    92/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Bozwood
    Bozwood Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi. I have not posted for a while I have sorted my clothes I am happy with that and I have tried to tackle the books but there is so many. I cleared one area I have got rid of a box of rubbish one box of books to go and put the book I want in the box above my bed I thought I had done well and opened any area and it’s full of books and my heart just sank. I have now stopped for the night. I will have to have a go at the weekend

The school I work at are holding a jumble sale that you hire a table at and you sell your stuff I am thinking of doing it and then donate to charity what’s left
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 January 2019 at 12:00AM
    Options
    20. Miracles happen, today we managed to declutter hubby's wardrobe - t-shirts and jumpers. :j. Some have gone in the 50p bag others put aside to sell.
    21. Started tackling my wardrobe: stage 1. Remove all clothes that are going to 50p a kilo shop completed today; stage 2. Remove all unwanted clothes that will go to the secondhand boutique shop to hopefully sell at more realistic prices. Anything that doesn't get sold here I will bootfair at a later date. This will be done before Thursday.
    22. Decluttered my CDs some sold others packed ready to bootfair.

I also have two t-shirts from hubby that have stains on. These have been turned into cleaning clothes/ mopping up clothes.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • chupachups4
    Options
    18-28: 11 items sold, 37.80 euros in the travel pot
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • somerandom
    somerandom Posts: 920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2019 at 11:03PM
    Options
    somerandom wrote: »
    47. draught excluder
    48. cheques paid in

Been watching Marie Kondo on Netflix - Not going full-on Kondo this time but it has made me feel motivated to discard more stuff. I particularly like her question - "is this something you want to take into the future with you...?"

Today:

49. box of chocolates to neighbour
    50-58 - 9 items of clothing for CS
    59&60 - 2 items returned to friend
    61 - old iron - recycling
    62 - ribbon
    63 - old silver polish cloth - bin
    64 - batteries recycling
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • cherie1122
    cherie1122 Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2019 at 9:51PM
    Options
    I just chucked out a long fluffy duster that my late husband bought about 10 years ago. It was stuck in a corner and I never used it but because he bought it, I just left it there. It might have been useful for cobwebs but I use the vacuum cleaner to get rid of those. I have loads of things hanging around the house that have become invisible to me - I must start seeing stuff again (if that makes sense)
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    cherie1122 wrote: »
    I just chucked out a long fluffy duster that my late husband bought about 10 years ago. It was stuck in a corner and I never used it but because he bought it, I just left it there. It might have been useful for cobwebs but I use the vacuum cleaner to get rid of those. I have loads of things hanging around the house that have become invisible to me - I must start seeing stuff again (if that makes sense)

This is exactly how i am, i look past stuff, but revisiting cupboards and junk corners often enough i finally see things "through different eyes"

gp xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Late back :o cheerleading continues

Happy Kitties, well done on keeping your numbers ticking over :T

Ginmonster, when you are on a roll it does seem to get easier :T it is just a bit difficult getting started sometimes :o Well Done on keeping the clutter down on a regular basis :T

:hello: chupachups4, and welcome to the ‘Decluttering Bandwagon’ You will find plenty of help & support here even if it is only ‘virtual’ :T Excellent start :T & raising money as well :T

danni.yelly, Apparently our bra size changes frequently :) the problem I have is that I wear my bras to destruction or go without :rotfl:

White_musk, I am getting excited for you :rotfl: In this instance, I definitely approve of getting some storage space :rotfl:

onebrokelady, well done on reclaiming a room :T & well done on keeping up the momentum :T

DD265, confession is good for the soul :rotfl: or at least for your decluttering sanity :rotfl:

gentlepurr, :T well done on moving bedlinen to the appropriate room & creating space in your airing cupboard :T Lovely story about the ex :rotfl: - I haven’t seen mine in nearly 34 years :rotfl:
    Excellent start on the garage :T & eventually getting rid of asbestos :T. I am with you & cherie1122 - surprising how easy it is to ‘not see’ clutter, cobwebs etc :rotfl:

somerandom, well done on keeping the numbers rolling along :T & that is a great question from Kondo world :T - I will have to try to remember this when I get myself back to decluttering properly :rotfl:

Hermia, sounds like you are an ‘aspirational cook’ :D - I am trying to keep my kitchen worktops clear but not being very successful at the moment :o Must Try Harder :o - So I wish you great success in reorganising your kitchen :T

janejamie, excellent work :T & fresh eggs hopefully - I am well jealous :rotfl: I echo ScarletRibbons- your gardenmust be huge :rotfl:

villagelife, racing towards 100 :T

Excellent numbers Frogletina :T almost 200 :D

never too old, sorry about the cough - if you have had it more than two weeks might be an idea to see the doctor or maybe talk to a pharmacist. Very wearying especially if it is causing you to lose sleep :(

sweetpea26, you are definitely doing really well :T - I do like my cheerleading role :D makes up slightly for my lack of decluttering mojo :rotfl:

Bozwood, remember books breed :rotfl: Please do not get disheartened - very soon you will have sorted or disposed of all your books :D & you will suddenly have loads of space :D

Friday - still no decluttering but my F*tb*t is happy :D Walked to sm - the long way :rotfl: My hm soup is delicious - not to brag but it is the best one I have made without a recipe :rotfl: Cleaned fridge - nothing to bin :T & re-sorted my 2 freezers again :rotfl: just have to type up th3 revised contents lists :D I have been using freezer contents for meals so actually have a fair bit of wiggle room :T

Dinner was Ha*ry B*kers recipe Somerset chicken with boiled potatoes & carrots. Clean plates & loads for the freezer :T

93 - 94 Wine bottle & cider bottle - rinsed & recycled
    95 - 96 Large delivery boxes broken down & recycled
    97 - 98 Uu jars with lids rinsed & recycled
    99 - 101 Magazine, newspaper, booklet - read & recycled
    102 - DH has binned a pair of underpants - beyond repair :rotfl:

Happy decluttering :rotfl:

MrsSD
    102/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsSD thanks for all to the encouragement you give everyone.

78-79 two empty herb jars recycled.
    80 conditioner sample used up and binned.
    81-82 s couple of work catalogues recycled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure