PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not posted for a week or so but ive still been ploughing away and decluttering. IM finding if i can repurpose things its far easier to let go of them, managed to sell and old double bed on facebook, some clothes that ive been keeping for ages cos theyre kind of too nice to throw out/ charity shop, friends have had what they want so now dont mind taking the rest to the cs. Posted a large envelope of unworn pants ( you know when you buy packs of three and they dont fit right but you cant take them back!!) and posh bras that i might only have worn once/twice, to the Smalls for Africa charity for African women. Cleared the airing cupboard out, but mostly it was about sorting the bedding out and storing it in the top of wardrobes in the right bedroom so that theres room in the airing cupboard to air the washing in the winter.

Decided to go through photos of mom and dads, but its a very long slow process, i think i need to involve the family to try and work out when are where pics were taken, to say nothing of who half the people are. So sad really, i used to beg dad to write on the backs of them for us, but i dont think he ever quite understood why......

Having some building work starting at the end of February and have to have the WHOLE GARAGE emptied by then!!!!!!!!! So, i have made baby steps but need to get in there with ruthless intent very soon!!!!!!!!!!! On the plus side, im finding it so hard to part with stuff but its made me realise i really dont want to add to the mayhem, so im spending a lot less :)

Onwards and upwards eh!! Good luck everyone!!

gp xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • somerandom
    somerandom Posts: 920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2019 at 1:10AM
    Options
    @chupachups4 - what an inspirational project and motivation for decluttering!! I will be following your progress with interest :)
    somerandom wrote: »
    10-28 - 19 items of clothing to CS
    28&29 - 2 items of bric-a-brac to CS
    30 - dead leggings - recycling

All CS unless stated:

31. Broken chair - dump
    32. dvd
    33. stair basket
    34 & 5 2 pairs of gloves
    36-38 - 3x bric-a-brac
    39 - eco-bag
    40-43 - 4 x glossy art magazines
    44 - brooch
    45. Bag of cr*p from cupboard under stairs - bin
    46. Boots
    47. draught excluder
    48. cheques paid in
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gentlepurr (love the name by the way), I too have trouble thowing so repurpose as much as possible. In doing so I have also been able to let go of lots of stuff' especially books.

A great friend's father died a few years ago and he had masses of lovely old tools which she had trouble letting go. In the end she found an organisation that repurposes them for Africa. Most pleasing.

Today I have done nothing big as I went to see a friends. I have spent 10 minutes working on a junk loaded table and most of that has gone in the bin.

Bit by bit does it bit by bit, mostly. :rotfl:
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bit_by_bit wrote: »
    Gentlepurr (love the name by the way), I too have trouble thowing so repurpose as much as possible. In doing so I have also been able to let go of lots of stuff' especially books.

A great friend's father died a few years ago and he had masses of lovely old tools which she had trouble letting go. In the end she found an organisation that repurposes them for Africa. Most pleasing.

Today I have done nothing big as I went to see a friends. I have spent 10 minutes working on a junk loaded table and most of that has gone in the bin.

Bit by bit does it bit by bit, mostly. :rotfl:

Thank you bit by bit. Im glad im not on my own with the repurposing, or giving away of "things". Even went round to the ex's a few days ago with some lovely fake succulents and rubber plant that was my dads, expected to be sent packing with a flea in my ear but he was just whinging about how did i expect him to remember to water them, lololol so plonked one on the living room windowsill, and one in the kitchen and legged it ha ha ha ha

gp xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    37-38) Bakeware and a bag both sold on ebay so will post them tomorrow.

Looking through my kitchen I couldn't believe how many implements and gadgets I have that I never use. Why have I got two nutmeg graters?! I have never grated nutmeg in my life! I need to be tough on myself and think about whether I am ever going to use them. I have a tiny kitchen and it would be nice to actually be able to fit everything in the cupboards instead of having to keep stuff on the windowsill and countertops.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    18. Good evening everyone. I can see that many of you are decluttering books. Don't forget websites like - we buy any books. I have started to go through my books (again), I have filled up a photocopying box full of books that I am going to be posting tomorrow and I will be receiving £55.18 back.

Novels I tend to do one of three things: 1. pass on to other members of my family to read. 2. Sell at a boot fair 3. Give to charity shops. Tomorrow I am going to go through the novels, (I have been given loads). I read about 30 books a year. So I am going to keep 60 books (2 years supply) and then bag up the rest.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • janejamie
    janejamie Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

75 one hottie with disintegrating rubber seal. The bottle insides were sticking together too, so I reckon it was on the way out anyway and we have five others - for Justin of course. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    76-79 four hours weeding in the garden!:T
    A working day today so I did on the way:
    80 delivering son's friend's speaker left behind when he last stayed
    81 red hat to friend who admired it and I've only worn it once in ten years - she's really thrilled!:)
    82-83 broken hen feeder and drinker
    84-87 four more hours weeding in the garden!:T:T

Acquired two black rescue chickens so am hoping for eggs soon so I don't have to buy any more. The three white ones are just not laying and only three years old!

Tomorrow is a paperwork day - hurray...? I feel I have to clear these decks before I can get stuck into clearing another area, and paperwork is a good thing to clear too.

Oh, and relocated a wheeled shelf unit from bathroom where now surplus to requirements, to office room where I can start sorting out the papers there and hopefully soon start to see the desk - and maybe even sit at it sometime soon! :D
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    18. Good evening everyone. I can see that many of you are decluttering books. Don't forget websites like - we buy any books. I have started to go through my books (again), I have filled up a photocopying box full of books that I am going to be posting tomorrow and I will be receiving £55.18 back.

I always get webuybooks, ziffit and musicmagpie up on my browser and copy and paste the ISBNs into each one as they sometimes offer different amounts. It's definitely a quick and easy way to get rid of books/CDs/DVDs.

If you have weird old stuff Vintage Cash Cow is also worth trying. I recently got rid of a huge bag of old spoons and coins as well as some other bits and pieces. None of it was worth a huge amount on its own so not worth me bothering to sell it separately.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hoping to restart properly now. MIL funeral was on Wednesday so can now look forward.

To start with
    61-63 cardboard covered with paper we had used to display a few photos at the funeral. I have kept photos for now.
    64- remains of a candle I am using up my candle supply. There is no point in keeping them.
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    You must have a huge garden Jane Jamie, all that weeding!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure