2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rosiest wrote: »
    would love to join you all. I've been reading through the previous challenges since December and got loads of ideas , also find it helps my motivation . I earn a good wage but my husband is going self employed next month so I've really cut down spends to in theory live 100% off my wage to take pressure of him whilst he is getting established . I'm 37 with a stressful full on job and now seriously planning for how do I get mortgage paid off by time I'm 50 ( due to be paid off at 62 if i do nothing ) and retire at 55. might seem a long time away but feel of I don't start working on it now it won't happen. Anything hubby earns this year will go to savings/mortgage or credit car loan . Today cancelled now tv and Tv licence ! £21 up a month
    When you cancelled Now did you get an email confirming it was cancelled? If not might not be. Also re TV licence be careful, you need a licence for IPlayer even catch up or on demand.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m still in the process of getting a good year’s worth of figures, but am seriously trying to make this year a better one. Last year was not a good one but I’m trying to get back into frugality and a more ethical approach. I’m going to lurk for a while, if you’ll have me, and pick up some tips. While I can’t give a total to stick to I shall be doing my best.

As we were running low on milk, I left the remainder in the bottle for DH for tomorrow and made tonight’s pi
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Options
    Pie with water instead. Sorry, pressed the wrong button and couldn’t find how to edit it (I’m on my phone). Feel like it’s a good start, lol.

KB
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • rosiest
    rosiest Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    When you cancelled Now did you get an email confirming it was cancelled? If not might not be. Also re TV licence be careful, you need a licence for IPlayer even catch up or on demand.

Thanks. no it takes 5 days but I've cancelled my DD. I don't have iPlayer on my TV anymore . Only watch netflix or showbox so should be fine.
    #28 pay all your debts by Xmas 2019 £2682/7000:)
    #66 2019 MFW £90/£7500
    also trying to get 6k savings this year :wink: have this by April . yay :)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had a no spend week last week, almost!! Other than the usual weekly Aldi shop, DH only bought a packet of Strepsils, as he had a sore throat. Local chemist, so a bit dearer than the Supermarket, but he was suffering bless him!!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    AW2011S wrote: »
    I'd like to join in please! Desperately trying to spend as little as possible as I need to save up some cash whilst debt ridden, to pay for dry rot caused by a landlord's lack of maintenance on his rented property next door!

Have you spoken directly to the landlord about this or could you take it up with Citizens Advice? I'd have thought the landlord would be responsible for the state of their own property and should be ade aware that it is affecing neighbouring properties - you may find that they are liable and that their landlord building insurance covers it, as they have a duty to maintain their buildings to ensure tenants are not living in sub-standard conditions. Ask CAB first, as it's free. Even if they can't help, it means there is a note somewhere that there's a problem.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Kitchenbunny, you are more than welcoe to lurk awhile, we have many lurkers and it's nice to hear from any now and again just to let us know they find something interesting. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    Thanks for all you kind well wishes 're my daughter.

Lifeisforliving19 - yes it's a combi boiler. Quite new, it was put in by the last owner before selling.... however when I had it serviced I was told it's been badly installed. Several hundred pounds.to rectify or £800 for relocation. I'm planning an extension (over the next 5 year's!) so I will move it then.It also had no adjustable thermostat, I could of got a basic thermostat for £30+ plus installation (not sure what that would of been) but got a hive from Amaz0n on a deal. £148 For thermostat, an Echo dot and British Gas installation included.

Shampoo bars - the ones from Lush foam up well and appear to last okay too.

Thought I was doing quite well with my budget, but now towards the end if the month nearly every is struggling a bit. Clearly I have spent less than I would, has made me more mindful. Hopefully next month will be easier without unexpected trips away.

I have a budget of £500 a year for holidays, I have committed to 3 breaks,two European trips and one to South of England, camping. Two of then are big group hols which reduces my costs a lot. I've not included any spends. These will come out of that months eating out/ grocery budgets.
  • Hettyhound
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been lurking too for a few days! Trying to sort things out so I can work on overpaying my mortgage with the aim of being able to reduce working hours and spend some time on me in a few years time. I'm a single Mum to a soon be 6 year old boy (who never stops raiding the cupboards to fill his hollow legs with food!). I currently work 4 days a week but looking for new job which will probably have to be at full time; worked out the fine line of increased salary and childcare balanced with reduced childcare tax credits, just about works out in my favour. Was doing well and had already allocated some savings/booked builder to get the loft insulated (I'm not on benefits so its either do without or pay for it yourself) and had a clear credit card when a vets bill happened...... Luckily the hound is fine, loft will be done on 5th Feb and I have a plan to clear card and get a couple of hundred back into emergency pot by Easter.

My son's birthday is March but I've just had my £40 Amazon voucher for changing car insurance via MSE site so that's his present sorted; also might get a shampoo bar at the same time as I've been reading that money saving tip too (already use bar soap). Started shopping at Aldi late last year when one opened near me and have noticed the difference in grocery bill although as its 10 days to pay day, there's hardly any petrol left in the car and only about £20 left in grocery budget I think this week will be milk, fruit and bread only on list and eating batch cooked food from the freezer.
    Grocery challenge SPC #023 SPC 12: £125.86[/COLOUR]:SPC 13: £214.98: SPC 14: £297.41 SPC 15: £237.27 SPC 16 £335.39; SPC 17 ? MFW #21 Mortgage start Dec 2015 £79,950; January 2024 £26,105 2024 OP £150/COLOR]/£1,500 MFiT T6 #3 £13,159/£25,500 (51.60%)
  • Flossygrows
    Options
    Lifeisforliving19 - I have just had the same system as Sinkorswim installed (same Black Friday deal on the Hive with a free Echo dot and installation!) I have a boiler with a seperate tank and airing cupboard etc so I should think you would be able to have one too. Our thermostat didn't work but now if the heating is on timer and it gets to 20.5 then it clicks off. So hopefully we should be able to save money as we won't be heating an already warm house. It is really easy to just boost the heating for 30 minutes if it is a bit chilly. Previously I would have switched heating on and forgotten but now I boost for 30 minutes and that often does the trick to take the chill off.
    Mortgage free wannabe £28855.13 to go as of 1.1.21
    2021 mortgage payments 0/£6000
    Frugal living challenge live of £500 per month for groceries and other spends
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure