2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So.... what do people have for dinner normally? and lunches too?

I'm thinking a rotation of nice meals will give me a nice easy budget and easy enough to plan but a bit of variety too so not the same everyday..... atm am trying to make my own soups - and a lamb one has made it to the rotation! not doing too bad but know that I need to shop soon so hoping to plan more!

Sarah

Porridge for breakfast, plenty of eggs, soup, stir fries, curries, spag bol, lasagne, stews with dumplings, pies, soup & pudding meals, soup, soup and more soup. Oh, and porridge again. :) I will take a look to see if I can find threads to the previous challenge - I still do the '£1 per person per day for all meals'.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Merilly wrote: »
    Hello
    I’d like to join in please. Recently widowed pensioner and looking to try and save a little from a much reduced income. Wish me luck!

Welcome to the challenge, Merilly, and sorry to read of your recent loss. I hope you'll enjoy visiting the forum and being a part of oyur little virtual community of frugal living enthusiasts. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

Nicki_Sue - does the shampoo bar wash your hair as nice as normal shampoo? I am considering getting one but I have long/fine hair this is prone to getting tangles. Good luck with the house viewing!!

Hello! I bought two bars, one from Lush (£7.50) and one from Friendly Soap.
    The Lush one is lovely, really lathers up BUT I wash my hair every morning and after 6 days the bar is half-way to being finished so value for money-wise, I'm not convinced. The other one I'm yet to try however I was slightly put out that a bar of hair soap was delivered in a big box filled with packaging. I'll keep experimenting with eco vs cost vs effective shampooing etc and keep reporting!

As for tangles, I'm the queen of tangles. I bought a cheap version of the Tangle Teaser in Aldi and OH MY DAYS, it was and is fantastic. Well worth looking into.
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Nicki_Sue
    Options
    Well the house viewing was AMAZING! It is everything we want, need, love and more. There is also a fully functioning greenhouse there so if we're successful and get the house, I'll be asking lots of frugal gardening questions! Roll on Monday to hear whether the landlord liked us and we can go forward with our application.

Time is going very slowly!
    I'll be hitting Lidl tomorrow, or Aldi, to do some food shopping but will do a food inventory and plan first.
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Nicki_Sue wrote: »
    Hello! I bought two bars, one from Lush (£7.50) and one from Friendly Soap.
    The Lush one is lovely, really lathers up BUT I wash my hair every morning and after 6 days the bar is half-way to being finished so value for money-wise, I'm not convinced.

I'm really surprised to hear that - my lush shampoo bar lasted 4 months and I wash my long hair everyday. I hope it lasts a bit longer for you xxxx:):):):):)
  • Nicki_Sue
    Options
    I'm really surprised to hear that - my lush shampoo bar lasted 4 months and I wash my long hair everyday. I hope it lasts a bit longer for you xxxx:):):):):)

Lots have said the same. I have the one with Geranium in it. Have you tried that one? Lovely to use but disappearing really fast.
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    I won an bayE auction for some BN shoes today. They are the ones that I usually buy - I'm really hard-wearing on shoes and I like this particular brand for work. My last pair cost me £50 and I got these for £32 (plus P&P) so about £35 in total. I know that's still a lot of money but it will save me in the long run as they'll last me until the end of the school year at least, whereas with cheap-made shoes they last about a month so it usually works out as a false-economy for my clod-hoppers.
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Another one here who uses lush shampoo bars and there is 4 of us using it currently at 8weeks and just about finished.
    CRx
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2019 at 10:06PM
    Options
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Nicki_Sue re the house.

With regard to shampoo bars, I bought some from a shop in our high street called Carolines, which is also an online retailer. They are called 'The Wow Factor' and there are several different types available. I have quite difficult hair, but they are ok for me. I use them most of the time, occasionally substituting with ordinary cheap supermarket brand liquid shampoo when I feel like a change. I use conditioner too, but haven't tried a conditioner bar yet (they do exist). The bars seem to last quite well unless one's shortsighted husband mistakes them for the soap and lathers up his bath sponge liberally with it :eek: I bought mine back in November I think and there is still loads left (once I rescued it from my OH)

They are cheaper than lush. My shampoo bars cost £3.79 each to buy, which I thought was reasonable. If anyone wants a link to their web site, pm me, but they are easily found via Google. NB I have no connection with them, apart from being an occasional customer.
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    I would love to join your group. I cannot be fantastically frugal however tracking our total spend would be very interesting. I am now shopping for food bargains, buying this years birthday presents in the January sales, etc. Good job I didn't start before today though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure