2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Really glad to hear that your daughter is out and on the mend sinkorswim.

My DD2 was in day surgery today for a minor procedure so a day off work for me. We packed sandwiches and drinks as she was only having a local anaesthetic. We got there at 12:30 to be told that we'd be last to be seen, but then something happened (I'm not sure what) and she got bumped up the list and she was done by just gone 4pm. I was pleased as the weather said we were expecting snow - it didn't come thankfully.

I've done well so far this week - did a quick meal plan and shopping list and found that I have already got most things in stores. Just a few things from the butchers and green grocers for next week and we're good to go.

Made HM Leek and Potato soup and Broccoli and Stilton soup with leftover xmas cheese. Googled what I could do with some leftover Brie and I think I'm going to do a mushroom and courgette pasta with a creamy cheese sauce. Put bread on for the morning so that we can take soup and bread to the allotment after doing the shopping quickly first thing. I hate town on a Saturday lol.

Have a frugal weekend everyone. x
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [QUOTE=Frugaldom;75336450]Good luck with the house Nicki-Sue!
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you. Viewing is now today (I have not been very patient) and we're first in. I'm already 95% sold on the house but obviously, we need to see it. This estate agent we've never dealt with before and unlike others this isn't a case of first in that wants it they go with, this is a "everyone sends answers to these questions, the landlord goes through them and decides who to proceed with" so we've gone from pretty sure we're in to who knows. Very frustrating. We'll see. Sadly a property like this comes up once in a blue moon here.

On the upside, I've already sent my form in via email and will confirm our intention to go ahead as soon as we've seen it. The fees for applying etc are much lower with this estate agent than others and the deposit much lower than expected. Thankfully a family member has offered to lend us the rental deposit which we can give back the following month when the one tied up into this house is released (which was much more). No interest to pay (good seeing as our savings were pillaged with the new car etc!).

Honestly, if we get this bungalow it will make a massive difference in lifestyle, happiness and support our frugal goals. This is probably why my stomach has been tied up in knots for the past few days. :o
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Good luck Merilly!

My boiler didn't have an adjustable thermostat, so I had one put in a couple of months ago. It's one you can control form ypur phone. A bit of an expense bit a very.good deal- the installer was impressed - and I rstionalosed I might make my money back in gas savings. Just sent my latest reading in and it asked me to check it was accurate as it seemed low! All good news as this cold spell is upon us.
    On another note. I've.been using the YNAB app for my budget..really good and I thought it was free...seems it is only a free months trial. It's over 80 dollar (£65?). Clearly I won't be signing up for that. Any free ones? Thanks

Can I ask what sort of a boiler you have? We have what I call the old fashioned sort of boiler with an airing cupboard and a tank, as opposed to the more modern type ...is it combi or condensed or something. Our thermostat is rubbish as well. Have often considered whether we could change to a better thermostat and would it make a difference, or would we really need a new boiler as well? With ours it seems like the pump keeps going even when it reaches temperature, which I don't think modern boilers do.
    Merilly wrote: »
    Hello
    I’d like to join in please. Recently widowed pensioner and looking to try and save a little from a much reduced income. Wish me luck!
    Hello and welcome. I am sure you will find a lot of useful tips and support on here and everybody is always very friendly. :)
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• The_Lady_Sarah
    Options
    Well another day of Frugalling - reading the forums from 2018 and nearly finished so will look at the 2017 one...
    Spent the past two days wondering around Cost"o and bookers to see if it is cheaper.... the bulk that you need to buy is what has stopped me - a one bed flat has very minimal storage! But may reevaluate if I find someone with the card who will come shopping with me.... £33 membership - dad made mention there used to be Cost"o buyers groups so you would all go in on the shop together and split it afterwards but I can't seem to find one close to Sutton Surrey - so will keep looking!!

Found some YS lamb 300g from £4 to £2.88 which is now in the freezer waiting for veg to be bought next week end when a batch of soup will be made! Am thinking that's a relatively good price but willing to have feedback.... I'm still new and still can't seem to spend only £20 a week! Managed it once..... in three weeks! Must try harder...
    Total debt paid £25645

Still Owe mother and mortgage
    Single mummy

Attempting Frugality...
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    Had a frugal week by default as been ill so not been out, lived mainly out of the cupboards, freezer and allotment (good job I went the day before I became ill). Used up leftovers this morning, cream went into scrambled eggs and salted caramel sauce into apple sauce spread over pancakes. Currently roasting a squash and will combine with floppy carrots and celery to make into soup for tomorrows tea. Made flapjack as well to utilise the oven. Off in the bath and then back to bed.
    Happy frugalling everyone
    CRx
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Had a frugal week by default as been ill so not been out, lived mainly out of the cupboards, freezer and allotment (good job I went the day before I became ill). Used up leftovers this morning, cream went into scrambled eggs and salted caramel sauce into apple sauce spread over pancakes. Currently roasting a squash and will combine with floppy carrots and celery to make into soup for tomorrows tea. Made flapjack as well to utilise the oven. Off in the bath and then back to bed.
    Happy frugalling everyone
    CRx

Hope you feel better soon.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• chocolatelover93
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

Nicki_Sue - does the shampoo bar wash your hair as nice as normal shampoo? I am considering getting one but I have long/fine hair this is prone to getting tangles. Good luck with the house viewing!!

danni.yelly - depending on what phone you have you can buy new batteries on Ebay. I did this with one of my old Samsung phones because my battery just didn't last.

lifeisforliving19 - I don't use ecoeggs but my brother and SIL do and their towels are always really soft. In fact I wanted to know what softer they used and they told me it was the egg. The only think they don't use it on is their DS clothes. They bought these years ago and are still using them.

sinkorswim - glad to hear you are both home.

CR Hope you feel better soon!

Been a few days since I have posted DS is poorly again :( chest and ear infection this time poor little boy.

Been writing a meal plan for the next few weeks so I can use up what I have in stores. On Thursday I was planning on making sausages and mash but wasn't sure what veg to have in the fridge I had onions, mangtout, mushrooms and toms that needed using so started to make a ratatouille, then decided I fancied rice with it so we had kind of an improvised risotto and I have to say it has been the best meal of my week so far! It saved stuff being chucked out so I am very pleased with that!

Since leaving my cards at home and just sticking to cash I am seeing how much I did really overspend on things and when I'm out have put so many things back that before I would have bought! I have only used my card once and that was for a stroller for my son our Mothercare is closing and they had a really cute one for £45 instead of £100 so I got it on CC. It means I have more room in my car and I am going to sell his other pram for around £50 on FB so I can pay that off the CC :) and it would be an overpayment of £5 I don't want to get my hopes up too much though as I know people like to knock you down so I will list it for £55/£60 it is a Mamas and Pappas limited edition. It's a lovely pram but my son is 2 now and doesnt need something big and bulky as he likes to walk to places now.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Came in £12 under budget for weekly food shop :j Mainly because being a bit more mindful about what is already in freezers/cupboards also next week it is back to low carbs for me - not a "diet" as I dont believe in them but a change in what I eat - I just drop the carbs. There was no point over Christmas and whilst we were using up stuff :D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Kaylataste
    Options
    Went 2 pounds over budget on shopping,not too shabby as hubbys beers were 3 pounds,and he snuck them in! Didn’t spend anything in town so I’m really pleased.
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Not a particularly frugal week last week - only came in £4.14 under budget BUT we did have a weekend away and a night out which I paid for out of budget and not on my card so I'm counting it as a win.

Shopping this week was bang on budget but I did have a £15 voucher which required a.certain spend so I stocked up on tins and a few non perishable bits.

In other news I was accepted for another 0% credit card 29 months balance transfer with a £5k limit so once I've transferred I will only have about 2k on interest bearing cards. Looking forward to throwing as much money as I can at them this year.
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure