2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• sinkorswim2018
    Options
    Hi. Home this afternoon as my daughter was discharged to
    from hospital, I have spend £83.37 of my £100 eating out budget due to my unexpected trip away, but I'm not over. It was a budget I had thought was excessive and hoped to understand and pay the extra off my cc, however my budget allows me to pay money off it anyway so all is not lost. I opened an ISA yesterday through quidco, meant to get £100 cashback, but it's tracked at £40, there's a £50 fee if you exit early so need to check that out before they take my fist payment (only £10 per month).

Lifeosforliving19 mentioned fabric softner, I don't use any, haven't for years.

Little_green... maybe an incentive would help. Make a small fund for something you both what within your budget.
  • Kaylataste
    Options
    Glad to hear your Daughter (and you!) are home sinkorswim.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    and old vinyl records...again, nothing to play them on.
    I still find it hard to understand that anyone who bought vinyl didn't keep a record deck !!

I not only still have my record deck (part of a hi-fi system that also has a double cassette deck ;) ), but I have every piece of vinyl I've ever bought - and I still pick more up in charity shops.....

If you do get rid, please don't just throw it out. If nothing else comes to mind / you don't know anyone interested in it, then approach your local charity shops. A lot seems to sell well here, and there are no fewer than 3 charity shops in my small town......
    Cheryl
  • The_Lady_Sarah
    Options
    so on monday I posted items from fb market place..... can i still count that as a no spend day??
    Total debt paid £25645

Still Owe mother and mortgage
    Single mummy

Attempting Frugality...
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Still not spending any and eating out of stores. The heating is only on a couple of hours a day now, I sent my gas and electric figures of to the company I use today and Im still in credit, but wow I used loads whilst my Christmas visitors were here, mind you the heating was on all day and all the plugs had something charging in them all day and night, I had to use one in my bedroom for my phone as all the ones down stairs had something plugged into them.

So still happily frugalling and keeping busy crafting and cooking from stuff already here, its amazing what combinations you will eat if you dont want to spend anything!!!!
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all
    Glad to hear your daughter is out of hospital sinkorswim

My week has had spends but minimal ones. My son needed new shin pads for football. Milk, jalpenos for homemade pizza, which DH was very impressed with.

Tonight I'm taking DS2 swimming, he's 11 and not very confident and has a very active / water sporty school trip in July (which I saved for before christmas), so we're going once a fortnight to get his confidence up. I've just found out our local pool is doing swim for £2 on a Monday and Wednesday which we've obviously missed this week and I've promised him today but will change the day next time.

I've done a shopping list for next week's meals, there's not much on it which is good. Parkrun tomorrow (£2 parking) then a quiet weekend.

I saw this which may interest some people - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/10/marie-kondo-you-know-what-would-spark-joy-buying-less-crap they have a point!
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Glad to hear your daughter had been discharged Sinkorswim. Hope she is feeling better now.

Well had an unplanned spend yesterday as had to go to dentist when a bit of my tooth broke. Was £21.60, so not too bad. We actually have a savings account that I keep for things like this....I call it my Teeth/Eyes/Medical account. I transfer a weekly amount into it from the main account and the plan is that it should cover dentists, opticians ( we both wear glasses), OH prescriptions (I get mine free now I am over 60, but he still has a few years to go...:rotfl:) and any vitamin supplements etc that I buy. It normally works reasonably well, but sometimes there is not quite enough when needed.
    Apart from that I have had quite a few more NSD's. Got to go shopping for a few bits today though, but I have my list and will be keeping to it.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    natnat13 wrote: »
    Morning all
    Glad to hear your daughter is out of hospital sinkorswim

My week has had spends but minimal ones. My son needed new shin pads for football. Milk, jalpenos for homemade pizza, which DH was very impressed with.

Tonight I'm taking DS2 swimming, he's 11 and not very confident and has a very active / water sporty school trip in July (which I saved for before christmas), so we're going once a fortnight to get his confidence up. I've just found out our local pool is doing swim for £2 on a Monday and Wednesday which we've obviously missed this week and I've promised him today but will change the day next time.

I've done a shopping list for next week's meals, there's not much on it which is good. Parkrun tomorrow (£2 parking) then a quiet weekend.

I saw this which may interest some people - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/10/marie-kondo-you-know-what-would-spark-joy-buying-less-crap they have a point!

Good article. I have been watching her shows and have read her book. I find the whole thing of decluttering very inspirational but do agree that there needs to be other ways of getting rid of stuff and not just dumping it or assuming that the charity shops will want it. Definitely cut up stuff to make cleaning cloths and use Freecycle etc.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• littlem84
    Options
    How do I join? 😁
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Glad to hear that your daughter is much better sinkorswim - I hope she continues to make good progress!

I don't use fabric conditioner either, except for the acrylic woolies I have, and the fleeces/thermal underwear.

After the expense of the car's MOT and service, its been a quiet week spend wise. I made a Wooton pie for Wednesday night's tea, and then a quiche for yesterday and tonight's meals. Even the weekly shop today hasn't been too bad - £35. I have been spending between £50 and £60 a week, so really pleased.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure