2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• skint_chick
    Options
    I wanted to use shampoo bars a couple of years ago but the Lush ones all have SLS in them which is too harsh for my curly hair. So I use soap nuts - I also use them for my laundry too - a big bag is £9 and I'm just finishing the 2018 bag. I blend them up in my food processor with some water and use it as shampoo and it's been so much gentler on my hair. I tend to wash my hair most days, although I can get a second day if I put it up in a pineapple on top of my head at night. I also make my own cleanser based on the Lush 'Angels on bare skin' and use a German brand organic moisturiser (£3 from German Superdrug equivalent) and a The Ordinary oil that cost a fiver and makes my skin less red. I used to use Mac makeup but changed because they sell in China so test on animals there and I have a pet rabbit. So now I use essence makeup which is cheap and most of the products I've tried last really well.

Still haven't spent any money other than groceries and petrol. Mostly working from home this month, although I do need to buy new bras and some new trainers next month. Bras in my size are always more expensive, I would love to be able to buy Primark price ones but I have big boobs and they need good support at my age!!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have been in bed most of the day with a migraine....so the lunch I made today for work has stayed in the fridge and will keep for tomorrow....a little 'save'
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • little_green
    Options
    i'm out of control, bought a dairylea lunchable on impulse for my lunch today despite having a premade sandwich with me .... tut tut tut

picked up a smart top that will be suitable for work from the local charity shop so that was a nice bargain
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Brown Hare, re lunches, I used to make mine up at the weekend, wrap each round up separately and then freeze them - obviously choose fillings that are capable of being frozen such as cheeses and ham. Then its just a matter of reaching inside the freezer and taking out a round and then putting it into the lunch box, and off you go. I did the same with homemade cakes too, sliced them, wrapped them in individual portions and froze them.

They will have defrosted nicely by 12pm,espeically if like me you had to be out of the house by 7am.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Nicki_Sue - Thank you :) I try to wash mine every other day so not sure if it would be for me? I have a tangle teaser but don't really get on with it that well. I find that it only gets rid of the knots on top. I did get a bamboo brush though and that is a lot better than the tangle teaser for my hair :) glad the house viewing went well!

DawnW - Could I please have the link for the shampoo bar shop please? I am currently using up all my liquid shampoo stocks so will be nice to have the link for when I am finished :)

Not been overly frugal the last few days, not been feeling great and have had a few takeaways tbh I did take them out my other money so I haven't over spent too much. I will take the over spends out of next months money.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am trying very hard to avoid bargains - that is bargains I don't really need. I have had a bit of a stock up in case of a difficult time after Brexit but I think I am almost there now and can wait and see what finally happens.

I went to a car boot sale on Sunday and managed to come away without any frivolities. 4 lovely red peppers for £1, 8 sweet potatoes for £1 and some free organic carrots thrown in. Then I spotted several boxes of 3x brita water filters which I normally buy in Argos at about £12 a box, although they seem to be phasing them out in favour of a different model. I bought 3 boxes for £10 so a real bargain and they are things I use every month because the water here is so hard. So I feel I did quite well and was very restrained!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Both cars need fuel today:eek::eek: So that's going to be ££'s On the upside, it's been about a month since the last fill-up!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 January 2019 at 10:00PM
    Options
    BrownHare wrote: »
    What I'm struggling with is over eating snacky foods (what I already have in the cupboards) and I had a takeaway last night (first in over a month and within budget - but still....). Also struggling to keep up the motivation to take lunch to work, I don't like making sandwiches the night before and am too rushed in the mornings. Today I didn't buy lunch but I only ate a cereal bar, not good!

Do you have a microwave at work? I also hate making sandwiches well I don’t really like sandwiches at all, I make enough food from the evening meal and take some in a Tupperware and heat it up at work. No extra effort needed :D

Can’t wait to get paid , another week to wait , had some unexpected car expenses this month which has just about wiped me out. We have plenty of food in and petrol in the car so in theory should last without problem :)
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Frugaling going ok here at ecoelle manor. We did a food shop which came in at £58. This is still too much for my liking but it normally reaches the £90 ish so it's a good start. I did a weekly meal plan and then made my list form there. My rule was that it had to be on the list and if not it had to come out of a £5 buffer. Beans were on offer so even though i don't strictly need them this week i bought them out of the buffer to save buying them next week when the offer will have finished.

So far this week we have had burgers, wedges and beans, homemade pasties with veg and tonight its vegetable and butterbean pie with mash and steamed veg. Got curry down for tomorrow so i bought loads of lentils and channa to make daal, bluss a butt load of garlic☺

Happy Wednesday everyone x
  • natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all

Skint Chick - or anyone else that needs underwear, there is an online underwear company called First Boulevard who are closing down, you can search for sizes down the left hand side and they have some real bargains. I'm not sure how much they'll have left but it's worth a look. I'm not associated with them in any way, I've just bought stuff in the past.

I had a horrible day yesterday, lots of little things went wrong, one after another, I was really late home so swung into tesco for a curry, it was £2 so not bad.

Today is another day and will be better. Food shopping was more expensive last week, we stocked up on a few things, it was DH's turn to pay so if he wants to buy 5 packs of razors he can, just not on my weeks'! This week I have a £5 lidl voucher and am going to do a basic shop.

We're going to the cinema this weekend but won't do a lot else.
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport