2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 25 January 2019 at 3:09PM
    Options
    Ecolle - If I came across some extra money that I wasn't expecting the first thing I would do is put it towards something I needed to buy (at the moment I'm saving for a washing machine) and if I had nothing I would save it. I don't have a mortgage so I wouldn't put it to that.

Got paid today so I need to do a big shop now but I won't be buying any luxuries - February is my semi detox month so luxuries are out the door. May help me save a bit more money as well to replenish my slush fund following my unexpected car repair spend the other day.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Little Green,

Dont forget to factor in the petrol you spend getting into town, or the car parking charges! If you are like me and have to travel twenty miles to get to a shop to return the items, then the costs of getting there exceed what I would have saved in returning and reordering....
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • BrownHare
    Options
    Bad - bought lunch at work. Good - no other spends and well under budget.

Thanks for the suggestions about lunches. We have a microwave at work but there's always a queue for it, or you end up following someone who had something vile smelling!

Decided to try making and freezing sandwiches. I hate defrosted bread for sandwiches (toast is fine) but I tried it a few days ago and it's no worse than sandwiches you buy. Many a time I've bought a one(£2+) and the bread hasn't felt fresh. At least making my own I'll know the bread was fresh when frozen and I'll get used to it.

It's going to be a frugal weekend, I only need a minimal shop (bread, eggs, milk).

This months savings = £73
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The carpet and lino were finally fitted today. Really pleased with that as no further work is needed now. Paid for that today. Did manage to get 10 birthday cards for £2 - covers family birthdays yesterday. Put in 4 full coin bags into savings. No other big spends apart from my holiday spends.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • skint_chick
    Options
    josie wrote: »
    Don't want to get personal about your bra size but have you looked in Asda? They have some nice underwear and it's pretty good value - they may do your size.

Thanks for this, I'm a plus size F cup :o so it tends to be Figleaves etc that I buy from because I find cheapish ones from Evans or Yours don't give enough support so I buy Elomi ones because they're pretty and wash well.

Was considering some walking type trainers as I currently have Converse for casual wear that have no arch support and Nike trainers but the cushioning is going and they have chunky white soles I'm not that keen on. It's hard because I have wide size 9.5 feet so usually end up with men's trainers when I really want the pretty ladies ones:mad: I need decent arch support as I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It will probably be months before I finally make a decision! Got supermarket money off coupons today so doing a big pantry stock up tomorrow as the cupboards are empty apart from half a pack of ground almonds, balsamic vinegar and some coconut flour. Fridge has only water and mustard left in it. Feeling very pleased with my leftover using up.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,107 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a quick look and they do up to a G size.
  • josie
    Options
    Kaylataste wrote: »
    Spent 9 pounds over the last 2 days but I’m still adding to my savings account and also I am using a help to save account from HMRC that I found out about.im useless at links but if you search it,it should come up.

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-savings-low-income Think you probably mean this.
  • josie
    Options
    I take it everyone does Shopmium and Checkoutsmart. A lot of the freebies are new things and a bit odd, but sometimes you get free bread or milk, 7Up or something.
    Just download the Shopmium app and enter my referral code iy57j https://www.shopmium.com/uk/referral/iy57j

Think the current offer is a free jar of Nutella on that code.

Also Snapmyeats is quite good. Take photos of food and drink you buy and you get a £1 Amazon voucher for every 3 receipts you upload.
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Payday today thank goodness - it's been a very long month due to an early Xmas payday.

A bit of a shock to see nothing at all in my bank account as I'm trying to work to a zero budget - and have allocated a job to every pound so it's all been diverted into various pots - I'm bad for seeing money in the bank towards the end of the month and thinking it won't hurt to spend a few pounds here and there and then the bills come out and I end up overdrawn so going to see if this works better.

Came in £47 under budget this week which is miraculous since I had two family birthdays and a few other purchases to make.

Done quite well with debt busting this month too £412.67 in extra payments this month - quite happy with that considering we had Christmas

In other news today marks 1 year exactly since the start of my frugal/debt free journey. I reckoned up my figures to see how far I've come and in the last year I've reduced my overall debt by £3590 and knocked a whopping 18 months off my debt free date. I'm really really pleased with that.

Quiet weekend planned, some decluttering and identifying some items for a forthcoming table top sale I'm doing next week. Should be a fairly frugal weekend
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My frugalise has taken a beating this week. I spent £31:64 on paint, and paid for a meal for three with a bottle of wine £33:50, not the most expensive meal but there we are. In my defence, I am having two wee visitors for a week (I'm a foster carer) and like the house to look fresh, and right now it just doesn't. The paint I possibly could have gotten cheaper but wouldn't cover as well and its actually a good price for what I bought (mates rates, just not my mate) . The meal was shared with a friend I have had from teenage years and has helped me an awful lot over the years (the mate who got the rate for me). I haven't spent anything on groceries this week, my mate also picked up bread and milk for me and refused the money.
    Extra money : If I find money on the street (roadkill lol) it goes into a special bottle which I cant see into. No other money goes in there. Two years ago I found just off £40, this bought 4 bottles of Bailies and went for Christmas presents. Last year (dec 18) I had £26: 46, I want to go to an upcycling workshop which normally cost around £35, I'm waiting for one that appeals, and will add the rest.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills