Boots Sale

Options

Comments

• Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know of several people that cut back on spending on Christmas presents or only give to immediate family - children, grandchildren, partner etc.

My work had toiletries gift sets which didn't sell as well as Christmas 2017.

I wonder has the gift set been a victim of the spending gifts cutbacks?

I think people just end up inundated with smellies and it can often be seen as a 'boring present' nowadays!
    I largely get for myself come 70% day with just the odd small stocking filler for others and get a few small things to break down to make into smaller gifts!
    Toiletries can be a bit of a risky present for some I feel as you don't always know if they have allergies or stick to a particular brand. People are also becoming more ethically aware too and don't necessarily want the mass packaged items. Vegans can't use a lot of the stuff either.
    Lush has done so well recently with these things in mind and the 'fun factor' thrown in too.
  • duaney
    duaney Posts: 7 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I noticed a lot of soap and glory and other gift sets moved to other places and big signs for valentines day .
  • Africat
    Options
    sampan26 wrote: »
    Then we looked just before doors and the queue was MASSIVE!
    When doors were being opened, they started to push! Rude, as that usually never happens there.

It was carnage, and lots of pushing, whereas in previous years there were polite and friendly people.

Mine was a bit like this too. It's always been packed but mostly polite and civilized at the same time. This time however, there seemed to be a lot more people working in groups blocking others from getting near the sought after stuff. Still the nice and polite people there too but it was a shame about the others.
    Staff were informing them they needed to start making their way to the tills to pay for the masses of stuff they had piled up on the floor. The poor staff weren't even given the chance to bring the cages of stock out to its intended location before they were pounced upon. The situation was becoming dangerous and all for a bit of bubble bath!!!

Although this thread has seemed quieter than normal this year I think the long wait has drummed up more speculation and press reports which seems to have generated a new wave of interest from more of the wrong sort.
  • loveasale
    loveasale Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went to town medium size boots ,it opens at 8 , have been for about 6 years now ,( found the out of town large store too busy as it opens at 9 )
    There were much less people this year , lots and lots of stuff ,,, not much men’s ,only a couple of people doing the grab it , stash it , and sort it out later routine ,,,funny I didn’t reconise them ,, must new , and from the hype !!
    , but I got all the STAR gifts , I will break up the sanc and s&g for use at home , any bits I don’t use go into my mini stash ( table presents for Easter is next ) staff were lovely and always helpful
    Spent all my points £100 and £12 in real money ,,,,, was back in car by 9:40
    See you all next year x
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Lol i thought itwas 90% day! Felt a little ripped off
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Walked past the Boots near my work. Usual stuff left as mentioned by previous posters - Little Mix. Zoella (never heard brand or person) and 75 colour eyeshadow and blusher sets. There’s only about 12 colours anyone can use and never understand the need for these make up sets
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Africat wrote: »
    The poor staff weren't even given the chance to bring the cages of stock out to its intended location before they were pounced upon. The situation was becoming dangerous and all for a bit of bubble bath!!!

Maybe time to stop doing it in store and only do it on-line from now on. As the staff don't get paid enough to have to put up with that.

My little local shop had nothing I checked the day before. Guess they either had nothing or sent it back.

I use to shop the sale but for last 4 years or so not bothered. Now I think most of it is over priced tat before christmas so don't want it at 70% off.

If you go on to ebay now or to a car booty in the next few weeks it will be full of the box sets at stupid money. And sadly people will be daft enough to pay it.

But each to their own.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Africat
    Options
    Popped in my local medium size store this morning as I was passing. Still a fair bit left, the most I've ever seen the following day and plenty still filling their baskets.

With it being so late this year they've obviously spent the time moving stock so that it's in the right stores.

Quite a few Ted Baker lip and nail duo's left in a not so nice colour! Also lots of MM sets which seemed to be a body scrub and wash in iridescent wrap, wasn't quite sure on the target age it was meant to be for, looked like it was for kids but then I wasn't too sure as it had a body scrub which I would've thought was more aimed for teens - prob why it's not sold so well. Lots of kids lines & other random bits and bobs.
    There were a few of the Vintage & Co tins left which I bought one of y'day, barely worth the £4.50 price tag but I couldn't resist the beautiful tin.

Picked up a Wax Lyrical room spray and some candles, the room spray will be going back though as when I got home I took the top off and there was no spray pump on it! Silly me for not checking!!
    Also got another 'Little Something hand cream set to breakdown for little advent calendar presents and to put in crackers.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went to my local yesterday & got quite excited as I saw the long queue of customers armed with boxes :eek: It was the make up. I couldn't really see anything I fancied as there was no Sanctuary or Soap & Glory, but I double checked & found Champneys Spa Mini Gift Sets, in the tins, I have a thing for tins :D Also I got some Star Cookies. Very pleased with myself, thanks op.
  • catswiththumbs
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »

If you go on to ebay now or to a car booty in the next few weeks it will be full of the box sets at stupid money. And sadly people will be daft enough to pay it.

And some are daft enough to pay Boots' prices - I gave the sale a miss this year as there wasn't anything I wanted or needed even with 70% off. I had a quick look today when I was picking up an online order and there were still loads of those Kardashian lips things and some cheap looking shell shaped soap & hand cream dispenser sets left. The shell shaped things had been £12 or £12.50 at full price and even at £3.60 ish they look cheap and overpriced. To me they look like they should be in a Poundshop - they look as though they are worth a quid and no more. Someone posted that they got all the star gifts - my locals haven't had any of them in for weeks so she was really lucky IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure