Boots Sale

Options

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    As much as i consider myself a money saving person i have a brother who despite being told numerous times falls for the RRP hook line and sinker every time.......new car/electrical/gadgets/clothes/holidays/sofa/carpet etc
    And when buying new car,carpet,sofa,electrical item always buys/falls for the extended guarantee sales pitch
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It has definitely lost the buzz if they have to wait until Feb to reduce it to 70%.

Sainsburys you hardly see any Christmas stuff after 2 Jan - this is non foods stuff as well. The only Christmas thing now in the store near me is a Christmas baby gro for up to 3 months for £2. They rather see a loss in sales, get their Christmas stuff out of the way asap and customers are in the frame of mind to buy reduced items as for things such as wrapping paper, people have their decoration boxes etc accessible.

There is nothing worse than seeing a shop with Christmas stuff strewn into a corner from end of Jan

There was nobody buying the gift wrap in Boots 70%, dunno who would be daft enough to pay £3 a roll, even at 90p it's a complete rip off! Wrap was 20p in Sainsburys weeks ago, 10p at min in M&S so good luck to Boots selling theirs at that price this late.
    You're right, people have packed that kind of stuff away now and already topped up their hoard if they needed to.
    Boots need to consider reducing their cards and wrap to 70% much earlier even if they leave the rest as late as we've seen this year.

Having said this though, I did see far far less cards & wrap in the clearance this year so maybe they've got the stock levels more accurate on it these days, bearing in mind that they prob aren't at the top of people's lists when it comes to buying stuff like that.
    It's all a dying breed anyway, less folk are sending cards other than the family ones and more people seem to be opting for gift bags rather than wrap.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Africat wrote: »
    There was nobody buying the gift wrap in Boots 70%, dunno who would be daft enough to pay £3 a roll, even at 90p it's a complete rip off! Wrap was 20p in Sainsburys weeks ago, 10p at min in M&S so good luck to Boots selling theirs at that price this late.
    You're right, people have packed that kind of stuff away now and already topped up their hoard if they needed to.
    Boots need to consider reducing their cards and wrap to 70% much earlier even if they leave the rest as late as we've seen this year.

Having said this though, I did see far far less cards & wrap in the clearance this year so maybe they've got the stock levels more accurate on it these days, bearing in mind that they prob aren't at the top of people's lists when it comes to buying stuff like that.
    It's all a dying breed anyway, less folk are sending cards other than the family ones and more people seem to be opting for gift bags rather than wrap.

Wrap and cards used to be among the first things to go and this year it was largely ignored. i still send in the region of 40 cards to family and a few friends but I usually get mine on offer before Xmas, or as you say, already bought a few in the other sales.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Africat
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Wrap and cards used to be among the first things to go and this year it was largely ignored. i still send in the region of 40 cards to family and a few friends but I usually get mine on offer before Xmas, or as you say, already bought a few in the other sales.
    I don't know why Boots bother with cards and wrap tbh... Should stick to what they do best. Suppose they sell when people need an extra low priced thing to make their 3for2 up though.
    Not sure I even saw any cards in their sale this year though so assume they are trimming back on them a bit.
    Chocolate coins is another thing, there's always loads left.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Went back today for another look, managed to get a small Sanctuary gift set, & a Jack Wills make up bag with a few things inside. I have a thing for make up & toiletry bags too :p
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Still quite a lot left at my local but overheard two staff members who were looking at things saying it was just tat left.
    It would look better if they cleared out the broken / damaged items, such as Barley Lane socks / mugs with no socks or one sock! And perhaps just put those further reduced in a clearance section, then tidied up what was left.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Africat
    Options
    Some of the stuff on Ebay seems more trouble than it's worth. Very time consuming and some of the stuff doesn't seem to go for that much, when you factor in fees and postage it's barely worth bothering.

The discontinued stuff that people can no longer buy goes for stupid amounts though. I suppose I can see why people are prepared to pay more if they've found something they really like or its particularly good for their skin though I wouldn't pay those ese crazy prices.
  • Lavendar
    Options
    I did manage to do the sale. Hospital appointment was very quick I was an hour early due to allowing lots of time due to the snow and was seen early. News was good. Went to Stratford Westfield London very little though did get the jack wills scarf set which when I got it home realised that it was better than I thought. Nothing at Liverpool Street. The event I was going to on the Saturday morning was cancelled so popped over to Enfield always good. Quite a lot left though no sanctuary or soap and glory only make up. Quite busy. Got some nice joules measuring cups. Several gardeners kits in a pail and some other gardeners bits.plus several other bits and bobs. Some hardly lavender bits for my mother talc and soap for under £3 very good value. A beauty advent calendar for me so came away quite pleased. All put away now for presents throughout the year and maybe some Christmas bits. Came away well pleased.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I'm giving it a miss. There was nothing I wanted other than some Jack Wills stuff and I'm at a funeral in the morning so cannot be there when the store opens at 8.30. I'll just have to go after the funeral and see what's left. If everything has gone so be it.

I think the fact that it has dragged on so long has caused me to lose interest and the £50 I would have spent tomorrow has been spent on better bargains at other shops.

Let's all meet up next year on here and see what happens. Good luck to those of you venturing out tomorrow.

this is my 2nd year running where I haven't gone to Boots for 70% off sale day, I'm over it (I didn't shop for Christmas pressies either this year in Boots, even with 342 and extra points events it wasn't worth it for me).
  • catswiththumbs
    Options
    this is my 2nd year running where I haven't gone to Boots for 70% off sale day, I'm over it (I didn't shop for Christmas pressies either this year in Boots, even with 342 and extra points events it wasn't worth it for me).

Hi balletshoes

Long time no see, was it you who used to keep us updated regarding the Boots No7 glitch with bronzing items that classed as skincare & make up so we could use both money off vouchers or till spits? Sometimes 342 and BOGOHP kicked in on the same transaction so we used to get 3 lots of bronzing pearls for about £4. In the good old days.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure