Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Jetpac
    Jetpac Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I want to stick a grand in RBS and leave it there for a while.

Where is the best place to buy shares online that doesn't have a levy every quarter on so called "inactive accounts" as i probably wont be doing any more investment in the forseable future.

any help is appreciated
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • Jetpac
    Options
    tradetime wrote: »

is it worth looking at the portfolio builder?
    i mean i wasnt going to invest in anything other than RBS, but it has low fees so would maybe consider investing more at later dates.

worth it or not? or should i just stick to the £10 single trade?
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Jetpac wrote: »
    is it worth looking at the portfolio builder?
    i mean i wasnt going to invest in anything other than RBS, but it has low fees so would maybe consider investing more at later dates.

worth it or not? or should i just stick to the £10 single trade?
    I believe until June purchases through portfolio builder are free, thereafter £1.50 (sales are normal price) ergo, if you are not overly fussy about your entry price, then it will save you £10, not sure how far in advance you have to setup the trade, but it's worth a consideration, why give someone £10 if you don't need to? :)
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    With interactive investor when you set a trade in advance (i.e. so NO fees) it can be the night before, as long as you have the money in the account a day or two before. iii is probably the cheapest and best around at the moment for people who do the odd share and as youv stated you want it to sit in rbs for a while sounds the perfect solution. RBS sp has increased a fair bit recently so youv missed the short term boat, but if your prepared to hold for 2/3yrs minimum you'll make good money.

Personally id stick it in Barclays (again youv missed the boat but guarenteed to be 400p+ in next 3-6 months and they pay dividends which you can auto reinvest whereas RBS dont and wont be 2yrs. Other safe but more profitable tips include Aviva, Vodaphone, Tesco and Lloyds (again no divi but better position than rbs)
  • yorkiebar
    yorkiebar Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bed and Breakfast may well be dead but you can Bed & ISA i.e. sell shares and then immediately buy them back but within an ISA wrapper. Obviously you're limited to the annual ISA limit ~£7K this tax year and £10.2K in 2010/11.
  • Jetpac
    Options
    yorkiebar wrote: »
    Bed and Breakfast may well be dead but you can Bed & ISA i.e. sell shares and then immediately buy them back but within an ISA wrapper. Obviously you're limited to the annual ISA limit ~£7K this tax year and £10.2K in 2010/11.

is it advised to buy within an ISA?
  • Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    yorkiebar wrote: »

Is this worth doing though (bed and ISA) for most people? I know companies such as HL will waive the selling costs but you will incur 0.5% stamp duty and a fee when you repurchase the shares within the ISA. Given that we all have a pretty generous capital gains allowance, most ordinary investors who sell their shares will be well within the tax free limit, especially if they have a selling strategy that keeps an eye on the gains.

Obviously it's better to have bought the shares within the ISA framework from the start, but those who are gifted shares either through employee incentives or demutualisation, etc. that are outside an ISA should think long and hard about whether their share holding outside their ISAs are significant enough to warrant B&I.
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • yorkiebar
    yorkiebar Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm considering it as I've got a substantial amount of shares in one co. which I want to keep for the medium term. They're currently held outside of any wrapper and the capital gain is currently way over my annual limit. So I'm looking to effectively transfer a slice of the shares into an ISA wrapper using Bed and ISA. If I transferred 10K in then stamp duty = £50 + say £10 dealing charge (I think iii waive this anyway) so pretty small potatoes.
  • Just_landed
    Just_landed Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yorkiebar

My view on BED & ISA are different to yours, to me it means you can sell your shares & buy them back immediately in An ISA so you don’t lose out if you thought the shares were going to increase in value, not to save you capital gains because when you buy them back in the ISA the taxman sees you as a different legal owner, therefore avoiding the 30 day rule. BUT here’s the bit I believe (somebody correct me if I am wrong ) you sold the shares so you are liable for the Capital Gain. I suppose one way would be to sell an amount of shares that will keep you under the CGT threshold this year & keep doing this each year until the issue is resolved. :think:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback