The "Save 12k in 2019" Thread

Options

Comments

• Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 January 2019 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £60,000? This will be:

- monthly savings of £1000 towards house renovation/land development
    - annual travel (£5000+)
    - pension & ISA contributions
    - the difference from February when the monthly direct debit to Eon goes down
    - the £112/month overpayment on the mortgage
    - a potential bonus in May (if I haven't changed jobs - I cleared £9k last year after tax but think it was pro-rata as I hadn't worked a full year there)
    - an inheritance of around £35k once Mum's estate is settled.
    - Plus any little odds and sods I manage to ferret away into my personal savings, such as not buying breakfast on my way to work (£2.99/day).
    - Also just read about Tilly Tidying and I love it, so I'll be doing that weekly as well into my personal savings.

My big challenge is food. I work a long day and my round commute is 4.5-5 hours depending on trains. I have 30 minutes between arriving home and having to go to bed, so I tend not to eat evening meals and eat more during the day. This tends to be bought because I have very little time to cook, although I did make a large crustless quiche yesterday for freezing as work day breakfasts. I'll be looking at different choices eg. go to Tesco, rather than M&S/EAT/Pret. I eat wheatfree so food bought tends to be protein of some kind or maybe a salad if I'm feeling virtuous. I have been budgeting £5/day for work lunch so anything I underspend will also be tilly-tidied.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really looking forward to getting going with this. I too need a number, but will keep an eye on the spreadsheets to see what mine is when added :)

I'm hoping to save £6k this year. I saved about £4.5k last year, so I think this is pretty realistic and I'm really hoping I could save even more!

My workplace is moving in a week's time, only a mile down the road but it means I will no longer be in walking distance to shops. My willpower to only buy what's needed or cheap items such as clothing from the charity shop is pretty good, but I'm sure being away from them will stop any of the unnecessary purchases I may end up making... It'll mean I have to bring in lunches every day too, instead of the occasional day (only a few days mind) where I relied on a Mr T meal deal. I have already picked up a couple of Mr T tins (soups and cheese ravioli) just to make sure I have something in my drawer at the new place should I ever forget a lunch!

My biggest spends are...
    My mortgage and service charges (I own a flat) - OH lives with me and pays me rent whilst we're looking out for a house to buy together
    Paying my dad back for my car (an expensive one to some extent, but cars are my "thing" so I won't be getting rid!)
    Holidays... this year I turn 30, and me and my OH are looking to go to New York and also on a nice summer holiday too... we have been going on some nice holidays but we can afford to and it's best to do them all now whilst we can in case we ever end up with a kid or something...

Besides those big expenses, I'm pretty thrifty where other money goes. Our food shop is pretty reserved, I don't drink a lot, I don't wear makeup everyday/expensive makeup or wear expensive branded perfumes etc. (M+S ones are great!), clothes wise I shop in the more affordable places and I've got a lot better at how often I buy items now - I genuinely consider if I'll get my wear out of something before I buy it, and so on...

I've been using t0pcashback a lot more over the past year, which has certainly all added up and helped. And I make sure I always use my loyalty cards and use Mr T points for meal vouchers. I'm starting to sell again on Fbook and Shpock as well.

I'll have to have a think as to where I could save even more or make a little extra to hit my £6k target! :)
  • LoveTheQuiet
    Options
    Hi Slowly,

Could you please count me in for the Save 12k in 2019 group? I'd like to go for the £12,000 this year and I can't wait to get started - good luck to everyone involved!

LoveTheQuiet
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bradqwer wrote: »
    Never done this before and my goal is so small but I aim to save £1,100 this year will i get a PM or something with my number?
    Not a PM, but your challenger number is 81 :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spreadsheet updated :) sorry for the delay.

Please make a note of your challenger number and add it to your sig - thanks!

Also, I am loving all of the money saving tips! It's so helpful to see how people are planning on meeting their targets. Please feel free to continue to share more of this so we can all benefit :)

For those of you who are new here, and maybe don't know, I run a personal finance blog all about money saving, which is in my bio on here. There are lots of articles and tips about how to save money on there if you want a look!

Finally, happy new year to everyone! Here's to a good one :beer:
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • jamets
    jamets Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you slowlyfading!

Got 95p interest today and a Christmas cheque cleared, so I'm well on my way now :D
    Save £12k in 2019 #60 - £1189.43 / £12,000 (9.91%)
  • flyingmamma
    Options
    Can I join please this is just what I need to help me stay on track. Managed to save £5000 last year but would like to aim for £6000 this year. Many thanks.
    No more toys til Xmas 2022 , mfw 2023 challenge , Trying to not waste food , time or money and appreciate the moment more!
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Hi Slowlyfading, thanks for the latest thread; I love these for keeping me on the straight and narrow when temptation beckons!:D

Could you please reduce my target to £15,000 from £18,000? I think the latter is too much of a stretch with current share volatility. Thank you.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • bradqwer
    bradqwer Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    No, you'll have to pop into the spreadsheet and look up what your number is ;)

Cheers not sure if that was explained in the orginal post but I found my number im number 81 how do i update that into my sig like some of the guys and gals here
    'Save £1,100 in 2019' #81

£50/£1100
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    bradqwer wrote: »
    Cheers not sure if that was explained in the orginal post but I found my number im number 81 how do i update that into my sig like some of the guys and gals here

In "Quick Links" in the top green bar, there's an "Edit signature" option where you can play around with it.

I think it helps Slowlyfading if we all put our numbers on our sigs :)
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills