Secret Santa - don’t want to do it!

Options

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My dog did a secret santa once with his friends. He got a massive toy filled with treats with a stopper he had to wiggle to get to them.

He wants to do secret santa again lol
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, we had our SS today...and I got... plastic tat!!!

What a waste and straight to landfill. If it cost £5, they were robbed. My guess it was one of the younger single guys...as surely any partner would've steered them to, say... chocolates or smellies.

I think I'll politely decline next year.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    I got a fab book and a vegan smoothie kit with nice berries and coconuts :) very happy!!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    I'm responsible for our secret Santa at work this year as our HR manager hates it and suggested we all just bought a random gift and drew them out of a sack at random, it wasn't a popular decision!

At our place people love secret Santa. It is light hearted and fun there is always a bit of sneaking around to find out who has who (invariably something happen in the year and someone has the perfect gift in mind for said colleague) there are some people who don't want to take part because they aren't here or don't want to and that is fine, no hard feelings.

We use a website that does the draw and emails everyone who they have. The admin (me) can view all the matches if needed & you can also exclude certain matched. There is a wish list option if there is something small you would really like and we have a limit of £10 max although most of the gifts are humorous. I think it says a lot about the place you work and the people you work with if its a chore.
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Soundgirlrocks you couldn't give me the name of the website could you? We always look over the names in case there are any 'wrong' matches and it would be nice to be completely impartial (we have a mother and daughter so it gets checked that neither of them have each other)

We also do the £10 limit, a few don't join in and thats their choice. As we are a small team I think we all know each other pretty well and I've not heard anyone be ungrateful - people will sometimes ask for ideas, and thats whats half the fun (that and watching the boss go nuts trying to work out who is getting for her)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We did secret Santa, all of us joined in, 36 people. We wrote our names down and made some suggestions as to what we would like. These then were drawn out of a hat.
    Everyone was happy. Even the one person who asked for a £10 gift card.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Ugh, Secret santa.

Why is it you, being a decent person, take the time and effort to find something the other party would like. When in return you get £10 of chocolate (being diabetic it's not the most thoughtful gift)

The person in question, after being outed at the christmas meal where the unwrapping occured - admitted they just get the same thing for the SS every year regardless of who they pick and their preferences. Whilst admitting, as she was tipsy and thought it was funny, she always gets something she wants.

After the riot that ensued there will be no secret santa next year.

whoop whoop
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At least the Chocolate could be re-gifted, or put in a raffle or something. There's not much you can do with a novelty "rude" wine-stopper.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    Soundgirlrocks you couldn't give me the name of the website could you? We always look over the names in case there are any 'wrong' matches and it would be nice to be completely impartial (we have a mother and daughter so it gets checked that neither of them have each other)

Its www.secretsantaorganizer.com
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I did it one year, bought toiletries and chocolates. Got a discount online for the toiletries so Although I spent the correct money the two items normal price came to a few pounds more. We sat round opening presents and lots of lovely things, I got a joke Christmas pudding shower cap. I put it in the bin. The following year I was asked if I wanted to do Secret Santa and I looked at her and said, "Are you joking?" She mumbled something and shuffled off. Never got asked again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure