Secret Santa - don’t want to do it!

Options

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    SandraX wrote: »

The moral of this fact based story is, if you are being forced into this tacky secret santa and you have more than 25/30 people in the office, go for it
    :D

That sort of thing is fraught with risk, as sensible managers/SS organisers do the draw themselves, notify people by email and keep a record of who is responsible.

Which meant the person who decided not to bother at one workplace was called in for 'a little chat' after humiliating the single Mum of 5 with a giftwrapped multipack of condoms and a leaflet for the local Family Planning service when she'd made a real effort to buy something nice for the person she'd been allocated. It was the only present she received and no amount of us immediately giving her all our gifts could make up for the hurt she felt.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Options
    That sort of thing is fraught with risk, as sensible managers/SS organisers do the draw themselves, notify people by email and keep a record of who is responsible.

Which meant the person who decided not to bother at one workplace was called in for 'a little chat' after humiliating the single Mum of 5 with a giftwrapped multipack of condoms and a leaflet for the local Family Planning service when she'd made a real effort to buy something nice for the person she'd been allocated. It was the only present she received and no amount of us immediately giving her all our gifts could make up for the hurt she felt.

Hey

It is indeed as you stated and I refer you to my post where I said it was an extra presnet, ie not from the person that picked the name whoever it was, but your caution is appraciated.

Happy Christmas.

:)
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just say no in the first place? I did that when I was at work.
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Options
    Iguana wrote: »
    Why not just say no in the first place? I did that when I was at work.

Is that a rehtorical question!
    :(
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Anyone remember Zammo in Grange Hill? There was a song aimed at him ( his drug use), but it applies here!

🎶 Just say No 🎶
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • lauretta
    lauretta Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Secret Santas are awful and should be avoided at all costs. You will have to be creative with your lying, now you've caved in and said 'yes'. Tell the organiser that you will have to back out as extra family is coming for Christmas/dog has developed a chronic illness/you are having to travel this month to visit a sick relative - anything really, that shows that you don't have spare time.

You say you're not bothered about getting a cr**py gift, but I think everyone is, when they are on the receiving end of thoughtlessness (or even, as some of these replies show, spite).

Secret Santas are always the idea of the loud, gabby extrovert in the office - the same one who drinks like a fish on a communal meal out, has all sorts of extras, and then chirps "let's split the bill". These types are cunning as hell - they suggest these things because they have planned never to be on the losing end. Mr or Miss Secret Santa Suggester will never end up with a cr*p gift - because they will spend all the time between now and Christmas, loudly telling everyone all their likes and dislikes, making doubly sure they get the goody they want.

At the same time, they will be exactly the type to give no thought whatsoever to whichever poor sod they are Secret-Santa-partnered with - and they always, always spend under the limit.

Secret Santa gives Mean People power, and makes everyone else feel awful and exploited. Step away!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Bitter much ? :rotfl:
    I've justsorted out the secret Santa for my team at work , fairly time consuming as everyone works remotely . It was completely optional (annnounced and "email me if you want in") but everyone is in.
    No one (apart from me)knows who got whom apart from their own. It's always a bit of fun and we exchange photos in a chat room and often schedule the opening on conference calls.

But thanks for calling me a gobby , grasping alcoholic for taking up my own time (not work time) toorganise what is good natured fun in a busy and stressful job. It's not like I'd call you a Misery prone to making sweeping assumptions after all !!
    Merry Christmas :rotfl:

lauretta wrote: »

Secret Santas are always the idea of the loud, gabby extrovert in the office - the same one who drinks like a fish on a communal meal out, has all sorts of extras, and then chirps "let's split the bill". These types are cunning as hell - they suggest these things because they have planned never to be on the losing end. Mr or Miss Secret Santa Suggester will never end up with a cr*p gift - because they will spend all the time between now and Christmas, loudly telling everyone all their likes and dislikes, making doubly sure they get the goody they want.

At the same time, they will be exactly the type to give no thought whatsoever to whichever poor sod they are Secret-Santa-partnered with - and they always, always spend under the limit.

Secret Santa gives Mean People power, and makes everyone else feel awful and exploited. Step away!
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Bitter much ? :rotfl:
    I've justsorted out the secret Santa for my team at work , fairly time consuming as everyone works remotely . It was completely optional (annnounced and "email me if you want in") but everyone is in.
    No one (apart from me)knows who got whom apart from their own. It's always a bit of fun and we exchange photos in a chat room and often schedule the opening on conference calls.

But thanks for calling me a gobby , grasping alcoholic for taking up my own time (not work time) toorganise what is good natured fun in a busy and stressful job. It's not like I'd call you a Misery prone to making sweeping assumptions after all !!
    Merry Christmas :rotfl:

Yeah, ours is perfectly pleasant too, i’m Sure we aren’t that much of an exception!
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sort of thing is fraught with risk, as sensible managers/SS organisers do the draw themselves, notify people by email and keep a record of who is responsible..

Sensible managers stay well out of this sort of thing ;-)
  • ophiuchus
    ophiuchus Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Sensible managers stay well out of this sort of thing ;-)

It doesn't sound very secret if a member of staff is there making a note of who bought what for whom!

OP what about buying a charity donation gift on behalf of the person you're buying for? This sort of thing:
    https://www.worldvision.org.uk/ways-give/buy-gift/

They may not appreciate having been bought a chicken for a starving African but will look churlish if they complain (publicly!) about something that's been given on their behalf to a charity.

Next year you can of course opt out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport