Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If there is a second referendum ...

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    So what were saying I think is that demographically the electorate has become more remain?

Yes. I think. With such a small margin in favour of Leave, it wouldn't take many voters to shift to change the result.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 17 December 2018 at 3:24PM
    Options
    I can't help but wonder if this conversation would have been happening if Remain had won 52-48. There was lies on their side too, things like the eu army was never going to happen, silly things like remaining would be the status quo. All lies. And yet you would be telling leavers to accept the decision. And the government funded leaflet that was not included in thr funding figures. Everyone that is so desperate to overturn the result should stop and think, if we end up remaining the eu will tie it up so tight we would never get out. You think that we have a say as the UK withun the eu, but we are a small fish in a big pond. As for vetos, the eu are heading to qualified majority voting, so we will have even less say within it, it will either steam roll its way to being a us of e or it will collapse under the weight of italian debts or something similar.

We need to get out, and I voted remain.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • walesrob
    walesrob Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Yes. I think. With such a small margin in favour of Leave, it wouldn't take many voters to shift to change the result.

So the right result is achieved and the 2016 referendum can be disregarded.

The danger is any new referendum will massively inflame the situation and/or be inconclusive. So what then? Best of 3?

Its a rock and a hard place scenario. As a remain voter who accepted the majority decision, I'm hoping that the whole thing will be called off and we can continue as though nothing has happened. But that's not a realistic scenario.
  • the_flying_pig
    Options
    Remain can't be on the table, it would cause riots.

the average brexit voter was 53 years old. it wouldn't be much of a riot.

Leave-Means-Leave-demonstrators-1032223.jpg?r=1539694004588
    FACT.
  • the_flying_pig
    Options
    I can't help but wonder if this conversation would have been happening if Remain had won 52-48. There was lies on their side too, things like the eu army was never going to happen, silly things like remaining would be the status quo. All lies. And yet you would be telling leavers to accept the decision. And the government funded leaflet that was not included in thr funding figures. Everyone that is so desperate to overturn the result should stop and think, if we end up remaining the eu will tie it up so tight we would never get out. You think that we have a say as the UK withun the eu, but we are a small fish in a big pond. As for vetos, the eu are heading to qualified majority voting, so we will have even less say within it, it will either steam roll its way to being a us of e or it will collapse under the weight of italian debts or something similar.

We need to get out, and I voted remain.

you sound like you've been reading too many of those Facebook posts drivelled out by paid-for Russian trolls.
    FACT.
  • A_Pandiculation
    Options
    you sound like you've been reading too many of those Facebook posts drivelled out by paid-for Russian trolls.
    As opposed to the Soros-funded pro_EU posts on Facebook and the obvious (funded?) pro_EU agitators that inhabit forums like this you mean?
    :doh:

If the average age of a Brexit voter is 53, how come there are so many pro-EU types on here all day long every day? It doesn't equate as they must be either unemployed or retired to devote so much time here, neither of which fits what you try to say.
    The desperation of remainers to decry Brexiters is incredible to the extent that they defy logic; for example how were referendum votes counted? In piles of "Leave" or "Stay" ONLY - no other counting, segretation or classification was undertaken. Your obviously incorrect figure was obtained using a small sample poll - and look how poorly such polls performed in their accuracy before the referendum.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd love a few IP address checks done to see how many of the recent new accounts are multiple logins; or are the new accounts of those binned-out.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

If the theory holds true that old people are Leavers and young are Remainers, then there must be a progression in between. switches

This theory that old people are leavers is one which worries me a lot. I am over 65 & was at the time of the vote. I live in a leave area. I know many people who are over 65, all of whom voted remain. The ones who voted leave are in their 40s & 50s.

Whilst it could be expected that my close friends would vote the same as I did, it seems doubtful that all my casual acquaintances would vote remain too as that would be statistically unlikely IF the theory was correct. That would be just too much of a coincidence.

So I wonder where these figures came from. If it was from an exit poll, then who did it & were those over 65s intimidated by it & said what their questioners wanted to hear?
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options

You seriously believe that the eu will remain as it is? It never has before. Yes, some of that is calculated guesswork, but a lot of it can be fact checked if you bothered. But no, you would rather close your eyes to what is happening within the eu and carry on down the road, problem is it has a very steep slope at the end, you could go down it but it would be impossible to return.

The eu never intended Article 50 to be used, that is why it is so difficult to get out without sticking 2 fingers up.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You seriously believe that the eu will remain as it is? It never has before. Yes, some of that is calculated guesswork, but a lot of it can be fact checked if you bothered. But no, you would rather close your eyes to what is happening within the eu and carry on down the road, problem is it has a very steep slope at the end, you could go down it but it would be impossible to return.

The eu never intended Article 50 to be used, that is why it is so difficult to get out without sticking 2 fingers up.

The EU will have to change, if only because the rest of the world is changing, and at an increasing rate IMO.

I don't recall any Remain campaigners talking about the EU visions during the referendum campaign. Personally, I found this disingenuous to the voters.

For me, I don't actually like this vision of the future dominated by a relatively small handful of global tech firms and wealthy individuals.

The likes of Mark Zuckerberg don't even bother coming to speak to our parliament now. They go straight to the EU. If we remain they won't even bother answering questions. Our parliament will become a rubber stamping department for Brussels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure