We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Very Scary Times......

Options

Comments

• Emzilla
    Emzilla Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guess who's self isolating for 12 weeks? It majorly sucks, but staying alive and well is the main thing!! My OH said he thinks he will be told to work from home by the end of the week. He's home today, but is going in tomorrow. Just got to make sure he washes his hands and keeps away from people as much as possible (he works in London and has to get the train and tube to work). We're going to start sleeping in different rooms and using separate bathrooms too.

My mum will have to self-isolate too, so I've had to get her Mother's Day card off in the post and order her flowers online to get delivered. With my staff discount and the vouchers I have saved up, I didn't have to pay anything. It's her birthday next month, so will have to do the same sort of thing then.

Emz xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Emzilla said:
    Guess who's self isolating for 12 weeks? It majorly sucks, but staying alive and well is the main thing!! My OH said he thinks he will be told to work from home by the end of the week. He's home today, but is going in tomorrow. Just got to make sure he washes his hands and keeps away from people as much as possible (he works in London and has to get the train and tube to work). We're going to start sleeping in different rooms and using separate bathrooms too.

My mum will have to self-isolate too, so I've had to get her Mother's Day card off in the post and order her flowers online to get delivered. With my staff discount and the vouchers I have saved up, I didn't have to pay anything. It's her birthday next month, so will have to do the same sort of thing then.

Emz xx
    Very wise decision for you to self-isolate, Emz.   I know you have lots of interests that can be carried on indoors and I hope the time passes as quickly as it possibly can for you in the circumstances

Does your Mum have medical issues too?  I ask merely because the over 70s (which I'm assuming she is, maybe wrongly sorry) have been told to avoid social interaction, keep social distance etc but not yet, as far as I'm aware, to totally self-isolate.  That requirement won't be long coming though, sadly.  Still, better for us all to be vigilant and wise before the event of anything awful happening to us.

I think Mother's Day is going to be  a very sad one for so many people this year without the personal contact that so many look forward to.  I'm sure your Mum will love and appreciate her flowers and card even though she'll miss seeing you on the day.  Do you both have any face-to-face electronic contact facility?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,944 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Take care xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Emzilla
    Options
    Delichon said:
    Emzilla said:

Emz xx
    Very wise decision for you to self-isolate, Emz.   I know you have lots of interests that can be carried on indoors and I hope the time passes as quickly as it possibly can for you in the circumstances

Does your Mum have medical issues too?  I ask merely because the over 70s (which I'm assuming she is, maybe wrongly sorry) have been told to avoid social interaction, keep social distance etc but not yet, as far as I'm aware, to totally self-isolate.  That requirement won't be long coming though, sadly.  Still, better for us all to be vigilant and wise before the event of anything awful happening to us.

I think Mother's Day is going to be  a very sad one for so many people this year without the personal contact that so many look forward to.  I'm sure your Mum will love and appreciate her flowers and card even though she'll miss seeing you on the day.  Do you both have any face-to-face electronic contact facility?
    My mum is over 70, but doesn't have any major health problems (osteoporosis, slightly high blood pressure mainly), so she should be able to pop to the shop etc. She doesn't drive though so I don't want her going on the bus anymore. She's lucky that she lives in a road with quite a few shops and a pharmacy, and my uncle (who does drive and is under 70) has said he will do her main shopping for her.

Sadly my mum is a severe technophobe and won't even text, let alone face time, so it'll be regular phone calls just to make sure she's okay for now.

Emz xx
  • Emzilla
    Options
    I have been a bit slack the past few days in doing surveys etc. I'm really quite anxious about the situation and have been worrying about it an awful lot. My OH is working from home all this week (I think) and next, so I'm a bit less worried than I was. My main concern was him bringing germs in the house after getting on public transport.

Anyway, I need to do some more to keep my mind off things and get some more money coming in the house. My boss is going to contact head office for me, as they have said that anyone that is self-isolating for 14 days will get paid in full, but they didn't say about people that have to do it for 12 weeks. Hopefully I will get something.

I'm also going to start getting Amazon vouchers again. I think I will rely on Amazon a lot in the coming weeks and have today ordered some food for my pets from there (we have Prime, so it gets delivered really quickly).

Here's where I'm at with the earnings so far. I could be a hell of a lot further along if I hadn't slacked off!!

£5 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks
    £15 M&S voucher from Swagbucks
    £10 Mastercard from Swagbucks
    £10 M&S voucher from Lifepoints
    £16.07 From Prolific
    £1.92 from Qmee
    £1.06 from Curious Cat
    £3 from Pinecone
    £30 Amazon voucher from online forum

Total - £92.05

Emz xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,944 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Your top priority is your health.
    TRy not to worry too much about money.
    Easy for me to say I know.  xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Emzilla
    Options
    beanielou said:
    Your top priority is your health.
    TRy not to worry too much about money.
    Easy for me to say I know.  xx
    Trust me Lou, I am putting my health first. I really don't care about the money or if I get paid from work, I just need something to keep me busy and take my mind off things, and might as well make the next 12 weeks actually mean something.

Hope you are staying safe too

Emz xx
  • Emzilla
    Options
    So like I said above, I'm trying to find ways to keep myself busy in my self-isolation and not drive myself mad!! I'm trying to get the flat really clean and tidy (easier said than done when my OH is also here 24/7). Yesterday I cleaned the en-suite for example, so I'm going to try to get a household task like that done each day. Today I'm planning on getting the ironing done.

I'm also going to try and get £10 a day earnings from surveys etc. I'm going to try and keep count of these during the day, so this won't necessarily be money that I receive straight away, but I'll add the surveys and other stuff up as I go and see if I can get to £10 (for example, yesterday I did £8.52 worth of Prolific surveys).

A couple of other things I want to get done are 4 books that I've had for ages and want to get them all read - 1 book every 3 weeks and I've got a cross stitch book mark that I have had FOR-EV-ER, so thought I could try and get it done and give it to my niece as part of her birthday present. Her birthday is in May and it's highly unlikely I will see her, so will have to send her presents through to her somehow.

Sorry for my rambling, just getting things and plans sorted in my head!!

Emz xx
  • Emzilla
    Options
    Over the £100 mark!!

£5 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks
    £15 M&S voucher from Swagbucks
    £10 Mastercard from Swagbucks
    £10 M&S voucher from Lifepoints
    £24.26 From Prolific
    £1.92 from Qmee
    £1.06 from Curious Cat
    £3 from Pinecone
    £30 Amazon voucher from online forum

Total - £100.24

Emz xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Emzilla said:
    S

......... (for example, yesterday I did £8.52 worth of Prolific surveys).

Wow, well done!  I had a nice flurry of activity on Prolific a couple of weeks ago but since then anything I'm eligible for has really dried up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure