Issue with neighbours- what would you do?

Options

Comments

• Buttermint
    Options
    Well, no word from estate agents yet. I feared this may happen, that they simply wouldn’t care or acknowledge our concerns.

We will likely call into their office tomorrow or Friday as it’s on our way to work. Just to ask if they had read the email and had any response either from themselves or the landlord.

If not, depending on how bad it gets we may go down the local council noise complaint route. I was really hoping to avoid all of that though by simply having a word with the landlord. This isn’t stress I need when expecting our first baby :(
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Buttermint wrote: »
    Well, no word from estate agents yet. I feared this may happen, that they simply wouldn’t care or acknowledge our concerns.

We will likely call into their office tomorrow or Friday as it’s on our way to work. Just to ask if they had read the email and had any response either from themselves or the landlord.

If not, depending on how bad it gets we may go down the local council noise complaint route. I was really hoping to avoid all of that though by simply having a word with the landlord. This isn’t stress I need when expecting our first baby :(
    Sorry to hear this OP you've had some pretty good advice here.
    But please invest in a CCTV or record them on your phone. Video doesnt lie.
    Keep a log, Day date time,what they did, how it affected you, Police Log number.
    Having neighbours back you up with a letter of comlaint can be helpful, I stops the landlord saying "but only you have complained" and looking as though your being over dramatic or over sensetive to your neighbour.
    Your neighbours going to pull the im a young person im entitled to have a drink im entitled to have a few mates roundcard.
    Like above always ask for a Incident number or Crime number from 101 999 etc and log it.
    As it is a private landlord, and estate agent set up, i fear they're just going to ignore you or say thanks for making us aware and do nothing.
    Christmas is approaching do you think this is going to escallate?

I would be onto the estate agent, if he isnt supposed to be there, and the landlord wants his house back before he fears it being squatted in, leave them your number so when he' goes out he can get a lock smith in and change the locks. If he knows he there, a strong worded letter informing the landlord that you hope he isnt considdering allowing him to remain once the current Sublet is up.
  • nwc389
    nwc389 Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Buttermint, call in to the letting agents in person and make sure that they are well aware of what is going on.
    Also I saw that someone else mentioned that you can contact the land registry and get details of the landlord and their address , I would do that too.
    Be aware that if you go to the council it’s going to be something that you will have to declare when you want to sell your home so I would avoid that if you can.
    From what you said the landlord has previously let the house to families so they may not be aware that they have had the house sublet to tenants that they would not have agreed to .
    I hope everything gets sorted out quickly for you.
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    Oh I sympathise with you Buttermint.

We've been in exactly the same situation and I know how stressful it is. Also the fear of making a bad situation much worse if you try to confront it.

We bought our house unaware of how shockingly bad the sound transmission is between the houses. We'd moved from a rented 2 bed semi next to an old couple that we never heard a peep from.

The neighbours next door to our bought house were awful. It was rented to a mother and her two mid/late teenage boys. The mother was often not at home and we were subjected to constant door slamming, loud music, guitar playing, singing - if I ever hear "There's a bad moon rising" again.... - , parties, them and their friends being in the garden smoking weed and shouting, kicking balls against the house wall.

Music blaring through the walls, being woken up at 3am. Us giving up, getting up and going for a drive at that time just to escape it.

I did sound proofing on the party wall in our bedroom so we could at least sleep - that helped a lot, although didn't stop the noise through window when they went in the garden.

Made us so regret buying the house.

Anyway, around Christmas on the second year after moving in, just after finding out we were having a baby we spotted a 'To Let' sign outside. We were ecstatic - few months later the sign changed to a For Sale sign.

New owners are a young couple and so far they've been great in terms of noise. Nothing but occasional DIY sounds at reasonable times.

I hope your issue gets sorted!
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Rubik wrote: »
    You have the right to live peacefully and without interference from others.

Except when you live next door to the neighbour in this thread, it would seem https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5927588
  • Buttermint
    Options
    Hey guys,

Happy to say the landlord rang me today- very apologetic and appreciative we had let him know what was going on- he had no idea about any of it!

Very relieved now as he assured me he would be doing something about it ASAP- just keeping fingers crossed now we don't face any backlash for this from the occupants themselves :eek:

Appreciate all the helpful responses- definitely did the right thing emailing the agents and we now have the landlords number and he promised to keep us updated :T

Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon and we can now focus on our little one, but roll on the days when we can buy a detached house! :rotfl:
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Buttermint wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Happy to say the landlord rang me today- very apologetic and appreciative we had let him know what was going on- he had no idea about any of it!

Very relieved now as he assured me he would be doing something about it ASAP- just keeping fingers crossed now we don't face any backlash for this from the occupants themselves :eek:

Appreciate all the helpful responses- definitely did the right thing emailing the agents and we now have the landlords number and he promised to keep us updated :T

Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon and we can now focus on our little one, but roll on the days when we can buy a detached house! :rotfl:
    Excellent news, buttermint :T
  • ophiuchus
    Options
    That is good news. Responsible landlords will not want their property to be taken over by nuisance tenants, especially if the youths aren't even on the tenancy agreement, but are only 'staying there' unofficially and unbeknown to the LL.
  • Buttermint
    Options
    Definitely. He said himself he would rather have had no money coming in than being lied to and having a bunch of strangers in there treating the house like a crash pad. He was fuming about there being a dog too when he had specifically stated no pets.

I didn't even mention the drug use we knew was happening- that might have pushed the poor guy over the edge. I feel for him having to try and sort this out but glad the burden is off us now.
  • nwc389
    nwc389 Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    That’s good news Buttermint ! It sounds like the LL is a responsible LL so things should settle down for you pretty quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure