Issue with neighbours- what would you do?

Options
Hi all,

Have only really posted in the TTC thread before but would really appreciate some advice on a situation we are in with neighbours at the minute.

We live in a semi detached house in a fairly quiet cul de sac, all the houses are either young families or older couples. The house attached to us was rented out a couple of years ago and all the tenants so far have been young families so there’s been no issues with late night noise or anything like that, just general kids noise during the day which was fine.

However, the last couple decided to move out early and so a relative of theirs and some of his mates are staying in the house. I know this only because I went in with some mail for the previous couple that was delivered to us and the guy that answered told me he was staying there for a few months because they had left early.

As you may have guessed we are having some issues with noise. It’s a young set of lads, who are coming and going at all hours and are VERY loud when at home. There is a lot of laddish banter type sounds, like shouting to each other, swearing, rapping (!), shouting at the dog to ‘F off or F up’ and music playing loud at times etc.

Now, this hasn’t gone on overly late to be fair, but it’s still annoying when we can’t hear our TV or have an early night (say 10.30/11pm). However, they have woken me a couple of times at 3/4 in the morning either being too loud in the house or coming back from a night out. Last night I woke up at 4am due to the overwhelmingly strong smell of weed coming through the window which wasn’t very pleasant, but just closed it and went back to sleep.

We’ve gone in a couple of times at 12/1am to ask them to keep it down when its been OTT, but they don’t generally seem to care or have much consideration for the fact they are living in a semi detached/quiet area as they have continued to make similar levels of noise despite us asking them not to so late at night.

We’re unsure what to do really. We aren’t sure if the landlord knows they are staying and that his original tenants have left (especially because we don’t think he would have allowed a dog- he’s very house proud and already can see the dog has tore the blinds down and also they haven’t taken the bins out once). Or maybe he does know and doesn’t care as long as he gets the rent.

We don’t know if they will take on the tenancy when it runs out at the end of January or if they really are only staying a couple of months. I am newly pregnant and it’s getting me a little stressed out never knowing if we’re going to have a peaceful or disturbed night and until what time, the different people coming and going etc. Also getting worried if they do stay, how this will impact on us with a new baby.

We only know the landlord by first name and don’t have his number. We do what estate agents he rents it through but I’m scared to ring them incase a) they don’t care or b) the tenants hadn’t advised them of the situation and it all kicks off because we’ve told on them!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

x

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A. Ring the landlord who will either do something or not.

B. Kill them and eat them.

B. is probably your best option.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    If you know the Landlord then definitely get in touch with them if you are able to.

Otherwise declare war and make their lives miserable? But then everyone else will notice and hate you too.
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Contact the letting agent and ask them to pass a letter on to the landlord.

Diarise all events, with dates, times and nature of incidents. By keeping a log over a couple of months you will be able to prove that this is an ongoing occurrence rather than an isolated incident.

If your neighbours have breached their tenancy agreement, then the landlord will deal appropriately. You have the right to live peacefully and without interference from others.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 November 2018 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Write a letter to the landlord care of the Eatate agents through whom he is letting it.

Tell him that you are about to seek legal advice and contact your local councill's environment department to see what options are available to younto counteract the noise and drug use currently taking place but would like to give him the opportunity to deal with it himself first.

List out briefly but specifically all your issues and ask him contact you within a given deadline (ie a fortnight). I don't think you should allow yourself to be intimidated by these tenants. You have asked them to cease their noise and behaviour. They haven,t so you are now takingthe only option aopen to you.

Are other neighbours being similarly affected? Could you persuade them also to complain to the landlord care of the estate agents. The more complaints the landlord receives the more like he is to take action, especially if you threaten to get the council's noise and environmental people involved. For all yiou know, the landlord may be letting the property out and not declaring his income to HMRC so may not want to get himself involved in any disputes.
  • Buttermint
    Buttermint Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 November 2018 at 5:22PM
    Options
    Thank you Rubik, very helpful post. I already have a good few incidents noted as I appreciate without this it can sound quite trivial.

We may call into the estate agents on Saturday with a letter for the landlord, that is such a good idea.

Woops sorry Primrose, was writing at the same time you posted. I definitely like the idea of a letter via the estate agents. Other neighbours are unlikely to be impacted the same. The other side of them is a very elderly gentlemen with very little hearing and our external walls are quite good in that you can't hear anything outside of what's going on inside. Only maybe the different cars coming and going might bother other people but I doubt they'll have noticed really. (I have noticed at least 6 different cars stay overnight in the past few weeks)
  • Rubik
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Make sure you keep a hard copy of any letters you send.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And if possible try and keep a note of all the car registration numbers that visit.
    Apart from the use of weed, there could be drug dealing going on which I,m sure the po,ice might be interested in. If necessary you can of course report these anonymously to Crimestoppers if you suspect this.
  • Rubik
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Buttermint, I hope you get this situation resolved. It must be very unsettling for you and your family (and your neighbours). The last thing you need in the early stages of pregnancy is additional stress.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could just print off your clear, polite and well constructed original post and take it into the letting agent. Say, with a smile, that this is so similar to what is happening to you that you thought the landlord might be interested to know what is going on inside his valuable asset....;)
  • henry24
    henry24 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    A. Ring the landlord who will either do something or not.

B. Kill them and eat them.

B. is probably your best option.

One problem with this you haven't asked if there're vegetarians
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills