Issue with neighbours- what would you do?

Options

Comments

• Buttermint
    Options
    Hi all,

Just a bit of an update on this and asking for a bit more advice if that’s okay!

So, when I last posted, the landlord had got in touch, was absolutely furious the place had been sublet and assured us they would be out soon. Well, they are still there now. Landlord told us they said they would be out ‘early January’ and that the tenancy officially ended at the end of January anyway. So it could still be that they will be leaving soon.

The last few weeks haven’t been too bad. Over Christmas there wasn’t really anyone staying there but now they’re all back and noise etc is back to how it was before. There aren’t any signs of stuff being moved out or anything. However, the major thing that’s annoying us is the overwhelming smell of cannabis coming through the walls into our house at all hours of the day. I am extremely sick with this pregnancy, I’ve been signed off for weeks and this is not helping. I was woken up at 3am this morning by the smell and had to sleep in a different room. It seems to come through worst into our bedroom. I’ve come upstairs now to lie down and again there’s the smell back at 3 in the afternoon.

I haven’t spoken to the landlord since early December when he said he would be issuing a months notice & re letting the property. They are still there and I don’t see it advertised yet so I’m assuming he’s letting them stay until the tenancy runs out. My biggest fear is he will agree to letting them stay another year. He doesn’t know about the drug use but kept saying to ring him if there were any further issues.

Any advice on what we should do now? Should we contact him again and say they are still being noisy etc and mention about the cannabis smell? And then maybe he’ll tell us what the situation is. I’m really too ill for this added stress and need to be able to rest. But I also appreciate it’s his house and don’t want to be pestering him but I cannot have months of this smell coming into our house, especially when the baby arrives and will be sleeping in our room.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes ....let the landlord know - and maybe even contact the police - are you sure that they haven't turned the house into a cannabis farm?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 January 2019 at 4:53PM
    Options
    Why the heck didn't you mention the cannabis use in the first place?

I'd contact him and tell him it's got so bad that you're now going to make a formal complaint to the police and the local council's environment department. I presume he obviously hasn't personally been to inspect the place or he would have smelled the drugs for himself.

Tell him he will need to have the place given a thorough deep clean before he can re-let it. The thought of having to put his hand in his pocket for more expense, quite apart from any adverse publicity, might get things moving more quickly.
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    Don't know if this is possible, but could you ring him when they are being really noisy and let him hear the nose by holding up the phone to the wall?
  • Buttermint
    Options
    The reason I didn’t mention it before was because it wasn’t as bad before and also the landlord was so angry that we thought they would be booted out long before now.

The smell only seems to happen when one particular guy is there (being off sick means I’ve been able to notice patterns a bit more). The landlord did call round end of November but this guy wasn’t there at that time (he was also the one that owned the dog so he had done a disappearing act by the time the landlord called round). Then over Christmas etc none of them were really around much.

But now since new year this guy has been back at the property as well and seems to be smoking it several times a day. I’m anxious about getting police involved as I don’t believe they will do much about it other than make them aware it’s been reported which could make things very ugly but if they do end up staying past the end of this month then that is what we would have to do.

I just want to know if/when they are leaving. But I can’t think of a reason to phone the landlord to find this out other than to mention the drug use to him, otherwise he may feel we are being nosey and pestering him if I just call for an update. Hate being in this position.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The police would definitely want to know if the house has been turned into a cannabis farm http://www.cover4letproperty.co.uk/guides/guide-to-landlords-and-cannabis-farms/
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry you are experiencing this. I would contact the landlord again. Any responsible landlord wouldn't want people doing drugs in the house. The more he knows the more likely he is to take swift action and not consider letting to them.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    It maybe that the LL is doing his part and asked them to leave but the subletters have ignored the notice. As such there could be a long winded eviction process on the cards. It can take several months with the most straightforward of cases.

Just a thought.
  • Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Call the landlord and explain about the drug smell and affecting your pregnancy as the disturbances have not got any better. Also state that you are also going to be informing the police, then call the police (not 999 obviously).
  • sallysaver
    Options
    I would definitely call the Landlord/owner and ask about the current situation regarding the tenants leaving. If the answer is not what you would like to hear ie 'they are leaving on Friday or similar' or you feel as though he is avoiding the issue, then and only then, I would mention the cannibis problem and informing the police etc., etc.,

Your health and that of your baby is worth so much more. Hopefully the next tennants that arrive are 'normal'!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure