Issue with neighbours- what would you do?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tenants can't usually sub-let to anyone so they are probably breaking their agreement - the Landloard will want to know this.

If by sub-letting they are breaking the agreement, Landlord's insurance is probably in valid - the Landlord will want to know this.

If they have been unvetted and had no reference checks, they could be smashing the place up - the Landlord will want to know this.

If they are disruptive and then want to take over the tenancy, the Landlord probably won't want them in anyway.

Btw. I am a Landlord and I would want to know asap.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is quite possible they aren't subletting illegally and have properly signed over the tenancy to other persons who are capable of paying the rent

I would go round there one last time, or maybe post a polite note, and tell them the effects to yourselves, and if it does not stop, their will be a letter going to the landlord & the council noise abatement team contacted. Then the ball is in their court

I just wouldn't want to be responsible for making young pple homeless - as young pple have a complete nightmare even getting housed these days...but would give them one last chance - and then no more Mr Nice guy
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wouldn't give them another warning. They've been asked more than once to keep the noise down and re just behaving anti socially and inconsiderately to their neighbours. How much longer are people supposed to put up with this kind of behaviour "just because they are young lads." If they're old enough to be living independently, they're old enough to know how to behave responsibly, and if they end up being evicted they will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Get that letter to the landlord via the estate agent as soon as you can. Do you still want to be having to put up with this kind of hassle when your new baby has arrived and you're sleep impaired from that, as well as noise and shouting from next door neighbours. These things can take time to go through due process.
  • Buttermint
    Options
    Hi all

Just a bit of an update. We sent an email to the estate agents last night about the noise issues asking them or the landlord to contact us about it.

While it was a bit quieter the past week or so this was mainly down to the fact only one person seemed to be staying there. However there was a crowd that came back at 4am on Saturday that woke us and then the usual crowd were back again last night being so loud we couldn’t hear our TV even upstairs while they were downstairs and again had to resort to ear plugs to sleep.

Just hoping now that the estate agents will at least respond to us and let the landlord know what is going on. If I don’t hear from them by tomorrow I may just call into the office as it’s only round the corner. I hate all confrontation so the anxiety of all this and the implications of making it so formal has me physically sick at the thought of what could happen, which can’t be good considering I’m pregnant.

It really is a horrible feeling to be so uncomfortable and insecure in your own home.

Hopefully we get some sort of resolution soon.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    A. Ring the landlord who will either do something or not.

B. Kill them and eat them.

B. is probably your best option.

OP is pregnant and it sounds like the neighbours have been consuming drugs (at least once), so probably best not to eat them.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I live in a semi that has lovely quiet neighbours (who hopefully won't move) - couldn't imagine having all that attached, sounds awful
    have you looked here https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council might be some help on your councils website
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had neighbours like that once.............I decided to do DIY. wash the car and mow my lawn not long after they went to bed.

They don't like it up em!!
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    To be honest the lettings agency may not particularly care either, they might be too busy or they might not believe you and think you've had some kind of argument with next door and want to get back at them.

£3 on Land Registry gets you the details of the owner of the house, including their postal address. Resend your letter to that address.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • ophiuchus
    Options
    A multi-pronged approach might be helpful. Contact the LL (as you are doing). Report drug taking and anti-social behaviour to the local non-emergency police. Speak with other neighbours in your street in case any of them are also experiencing similar problems.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I had neighbours like that once.............I decided to do DIY. wash the car and mow my lawn not long after they went to bed.

They don't like it up em!!

We had neighbours like that as well. They had a habit of slamming doors, the occasional party with karaoke, and just general annoying habits.
    It does make you anxious in your own home.
    So, I got me one of those vuvuzelas that they had in the 2010 World Cup. If they were still up slamming about at 3 am, I made sure they were up at 7.30am by blowing the thing right at the bedroom wall. They are pretty loud things if you get the amount of puff right. ;)
    When they moved out, I told the LL that if they didn't get anybody right in, I was not only going to a solicitor, but I knew where he lived and was going to turn up at night with a Cannibal Corpse CD and play it full pelt on my car stereo outside his house.
    Funnily enough, we haven't had an issue since. ;)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport