I800 brought but never told it was from a hire complany

Options

Comments

• James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Scratches happen. It'll be sold off via auction to a non franchised retailer or sold direct to the public.

Bemused by the way that you're pretty much saying that all "rhymes with MAVIS" cars are faulty or damaged. Funny how you want use their name in any of your posts - afraid of slandering them and not being able to back it up?
    You get bemused a lot.

No because there's no point. id show you the hire form, but it was done electronically this time and emailed to work. also, back what up, that i have a scratched car now and have had ones with transmission issues in the past? aside from going outside and taking some pictures then no i couldn't 'back it up'

I also don't hold the hire firm responsible, they have never actually broken down, nor given me any hassle when returning them.

And i still wouldn't buy an ex hire car, although we have a few examples in this thread about people loving their cheap ex hires, the fact remains, the fastest cars on the road, are hire cars. It was said for a reason.

oh and, i work out of an airport and see the hire cars being driven around the place by the rental staff. lets just say i doubt they wait for the engines to be warm before booting them all over the area.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 November 2018 at 7:19PM
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    You get bemused a lot.

No because there's no point. id show you the hire form, but it was done electronically this time and emailed to work. also, back what up, that i have a scratched car now and have had ones with transmission issues in the past? aside from going outside and taking some pictures then no i couldn't 'back it up'

I also don't hold the hire firm responsible, they have never actually broken down, nor given me any hassle when returning them.

And i still wouldn't buy an ex hire car, although we have a few examples in this thread about people loving their cheap ex hires, the fact remains, the fastest cars on the road, are hire cars. It was said for a reason.

oh and, i work out of an airport and see the hire cars being driven around the place by the rental staff. lets just say i doubt they wait for the engines to be warm before booting them all over the area.

Any car can get scuffed or scratched - privately owned or otherwise. As i've said a scruffy ex hire car will end up outside the main dealer network somewhere or blown out at auction. That doesnt mean they're all like that.

To be honest, and taking it statistically, i've had more problems with brand new cars than i've had with ex hire cars.

Frankly with the comments highlighted and underlined all you're doing is propagating age old internet myths and rumours.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Whats bemusing is the fact that people dont see the value they are getting with a hire car. It used to be an ex-demo or dealer "management" car resulted in a few hundred off at best.

Now you can get any amount of 6 month old to a year old cars at sometimes ££,£££'s off the price of a new one.

Yet people still get "outraged" when they find out its ex hire even though (a) they never asked and (b) they got a bargain.
  • James2k
    Options
    Any car can get scuffed or scratched - privately owned or otherwise. As i've said a scruffy ex hire car will end up outside the main dealer network somewhere or blown out at auction. That doesnt mean they're all like that.

To be honest, and taking it statistically, i've had more problems with brand new cars than i've had with ex hire cars.

Frankly with the comments highlighted and underlined all you're doing is propagating age old internet myths and rumours.
    I see you highlighted 'i doubt' well these cars have clearly just been started as they still have condensation coming out of the tailpipes.

its funny, but when driving around to the car park etc, someone comes up behind you fast, 99/100 its a hire car being driven by a guy in a high vis.

No doubt though like you said, that there are bargains to be had. and if people didn't propagate the rumours,as you say, then the bargains wouldn't be nearly as good ;)

And for the avoidance of doubt, if i was the op and found out my car that i had owned for two years was a hire car at some point, i wouldn't care, after two years you know if you have a good one or not.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What makes you think engines need to be warm? How have I managed for the last 50 years without knowing this?
  • James2k
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    What makes you think engines need to be warm? How have I managed for the last 50 years without knowing this?
    Engines need to be warm to what? boot them?

Remind me not to buy a car from you too!
  • motorguy
    Options

Maybe 50 years ago it was a requirement or maybe if you drive a racing car for a living but regular cars, no not so much.

And what does your average 1.4i Astra hire car get "revved out" to when thats happening? Maybe 4,000 revs? Big deal.
  • motorguy
    Options
    No doubt though like you said, that there are bargains to be had. and if people didn't propagate the rumours,as you say, then the bargains wouldn't be nearly as good ;)

And for the avoidance of doubt, if i was the op and found out my car that i had owned for two years was a hire car at some point, i wouldn't care, after two years you know if you have a good one or not.

...Agreed :)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options

Can I strongly suggest that, not only do you never ever buy any used car, but you should probably arrange a factory-gate collection for your next new one.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,740 Forumite
    Options
    And what does your average 1.4i Astra hire car get "revved out" to when thats happening? Maybe 4,000 revs? Big deal.

I've had a couple of 1.0-1.2l hire cars lately that've needed thrashed pretty hard to get anywhere, but they'd have needed thrashed just as hard if I'd owned them.

Most car hires these days are (presumably) business users who may go a bit fast on motorways to get between meetings (or to make up for flight delays), or tourists. Neither are going to abuse the cars pretty badly (someone will be cleaning them, checking the oil and tyres regularly). The same vehicle as the first car for a 17 year old driver? Maybe checked over a couple of times a year?
    I thrashed the crap out of my first car (and the 2nd and 3rd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure