I800 brought but never told it was from a hire complany

Options

Comments

• James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    So where are we now? According to you about hire cars :-
    • Cars can sustain engine damage if not allowed to warm up fully before applying any sort of revs - could have been done to ANY used car.
    • Where you dont know who has been driving the car, best not to buy it. So best not buy ANY used car.
    • Hire cars may not be driven with mechanical sympathy. Again, applies to ANY used car. You just dont know for sure.
    • Cars can attain scratches and scuffs that may be repaired and refurbished before you buy the car. Would apply to ANY used car.
    • Cars can suffer faults during the time the previous owner had them. Would apply to ANY used car.

My suggestion to you then would have to be - only ever buy new and insist on picking the car up as it leaves the production line from the factory and get it trailered home with you in full attendance until you register it. Because frankly thats the only way you will guarantee the above can be avoided. You're setting the bar / expectation far too high for a used car purchase.

For everyone else - do your due diligence before you buy, and buy on condition, not based on internet myths and stereotypes.
    Yeah great, or maybe ill just stack the deck in my favour and not buy an ex hire car. Works for me, not sure why you cant accept that.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    Yeah great, or maybe ill just stack the deck in my favour and not buy an ex hire car. Works for me, not sure why you cant accept that.

He can, he's just pointing out that hire cars aren't actually any worse. Those drivers you see with no mechanical sympathy towards what you assume are hire cars, are likely to be driving their own car in the same way at the other end of the flight.

But it's good that you continue to avoid ex hire cars - it keeps the price low for the rest of us.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Because its quite simple - do your due diligence and buy on condition. If you dont want to buy an ex hire car thats fine. Had the O/P done theirs they wouldnt have their "issue" now.

What i'm saying is avoiding hire cars does not avoid the issues you're talking about, so you're going to have to do exactly the same due diligence on condition anyway.

Buy an ex-demo car and you're risking exactly the same issues, buy an "ex-management" car and you're risking exactly the same issues.

Broad brushing all ex hire cars as problematic is daft, frankly.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    He can, he's just pointing out that hire cars aren't actually any worse. Those drivers you see with no mechanical sympathy towards what you assume are hire cars, are likely to be driving their own car in the same way at the other end of the flight.

But it's good that you continue to avoid ex hire cars - it keeps the price low for the rest of us.

Exactly that.

James is throwing up all these "issues", but with no solution - other than pay more for a car thats equally as risky. If its on a forecourt at < 1 year old and not a hire car then :-
    • Its a "demo" car. Driven by a load of people offering it usually no mechanical sympathy.
    • Its an ex service department loan car, marked up as a "demo" car. Driven by a load of people offering it usually no mechanical sympathy.
    • Its an "ex management" car. Usually a car got on a short term lease of company car by the manufacturer. Driven by someone who doesnt own it and doesnt care about it.
    • Its a genuine privately owned car. Why did they get rid so soon? Was there problems with it?

I dont see how any of those differ from a hire car, other than usually costing more?
  • James2k
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »

But the thing is, i don't think they do. Its all of them, being rallied around all day between sites.

Like i said, time and again, there are bargains, but its more of a risk with an ex hire car. Just the way it is, for example i certainly don't drive them like i drive my own. Nor do many of my colleagues.

And regarding your last point, i already made that same one for you a page or so ago, its good that there is this myth/reality, because otherwise, you wouldn't be getting a deal.
  • James2k
    Options
    Exactly that.

James is throwing up all these "issues", but with no solution - other than pay more for a car thats equally as risky. If its on a forecourt at < 1 year old and not a hire car then :-
    • Its a "demo" car. Driven by a load of people offering it usually no mechanical sympathy.
    • Its an ex service department loan car, marked up as a "demo" car. Driven by a load of people offering it usually no mechanical sympathy.
    • Its an "ex management" car. Usually a car got on a short term lease of company car by the manufacturer. Driven by someone who doesnt own it and doesnt care about it.
    • Its a genuine privately owned car. Why did they get rid so soon? Was there problems with it?

I dont see how any of those differ from a hire car, other than usually costing more?
    so don't buy a <year old car? You are dealing in absolutes, mitigation of risk goes beyond just 'not buying hire cars', its just what we are discussing now.
  • James2k
    Options

You are correct, wouldn't buy any of these options, at least i would try and avoid it as far as i could.
  • motorguy
    Options
    so don't buy a <year old car? You are dealing in absolutes, mitigation of risk goes beyond just 'not buying hire cars', its just what we are discussing now.

Now whos talking in absolutes?

So as i said your "solution" is buy new which is +£,£££s OR buy older (with even less guarantees of provenance).
  • motorguy
    Options
    You are correct, wouldn't buy any of these options, at least i would try and avoid it as far as i could.

And yet there is a very bouyant, active market for cars at that age, offering a considerable saving on new?

And whats your solution? Buy new? Buy older? And if buy older how does that offer any better guarantees?
  • James2k
    Options
    And yet there is a very bouyant, active market for cars at that age, offering a considerable saving on new?

And whats your solution? Buy new? Buy older? And if buy older how does that offer any better guarantees?
    Absolutely, Its just once piece of the car buying puzzle, get things as slanted onto your side as you can and you will be in the best position.

So, number and type of owners, (private, company), mileage, general condition, options specced, brand of tyres fitted, service history all of these things need to be taken into consideration.

And yes, there are no guarantees even with a new car, but sure doesnt hurt to limit your exposure to crap cars, even if you may not get the most blinding deal by taking a punt sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure