Options
15678911»

Comments

• James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Now whos talking in absolutes?

So as i said your "solution" is buy new which is +£,£££s OR buy older (with even less guarantees of provenance).
    Not really, there are tools available (or at least used to be) to check who previous owners were.

And it wasn't an absolute, it was a suggestive response to your (absolute) suggestion that you have to buy a year old car??
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 10:41AM
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    Not really, there are tools available (or at least used to be) to check who previous owners were.

And it wasn't an absolute, it was a suggestive response to your (absolute) suggestion that you have to buy a year old car??

And those tools will tell you what? Who the registered keeper was? They wont tell you who drove it and how they drove it.

No, what i said was, if someone was in the market for a year old car OR wanted to save money over a new one, then you seem to be saying DONT buy one at less than a year old? Hardly much of a solution given the choice is then either buy new / pre-reg @ +£,£££s OR buy older and run even more risk.

OR maybe people should do what me and everyone else is suggesting - do your due diligence and buy on condition?
  • James2k
    Options
    And those tools will tell you what? Who the registered keeper was? They wont tell you who drove it and how they drove it.

No, what i said was, if someone was in the market for a year old car OR wanted to save money over a new one, then you seem to be saying DONT buy one at less than a year old? Hardly much of a solution given the choice is then either buy new / pre-reg @ +£,£££s OR buy older and run even more risk.

OR maybe people should do what me and everyone else is suggesting - do your due diligence and buy on condition?
    Id rather have an older single owner car (based on the factors i listed above), than a younger one which has been given to people like me for a hire car.
  • James2k
    Options
    So you get compression checks done on all your engines? unless its an rx8 i would venture no no you would not.

for some lunchbox runabout, who cares, but if you are getting a nice car.. then
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    So you get compression checks done on all your engines? unless its an rx8 i would venture no no you would not.

Are you seriously suggesting people should??
  • James2k
    Options
    Are you seriously suggesting people should??
    No i am not.. You say buy on condition, well unless its got really bad and is blowing smoke etc then you wont notice increased engine wear as you would get with an abused rallied when cold hire car.

Anyway, i'm happy to bow out now, but i will leave you with this, ill enjoy driving your next car, ill look after it, i promise.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any car could be driven in any sort of way, kinda making the OPs and all of the above^ mute. (One for the sad pedants there, will I get a bite?)
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Scrapit wrote: »
    Any car could be driven in any sort of way, kinda making the OPs and all of the above^ mute. (One for the sad pedants there, will I get a bite?)
    *Chomp*

Moot!

/sadpedant
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure