Slimming for Santa - Slimming World support thread 2018

Options

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    v1ckyt wrote: »
    Morning all,
    Weighed in this week, -4 lbs
    Hope all have a good week.

bye for now, V
    Wow brilliant loss
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Morning All,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Weighed in last night, -0.5lb, will take that and run :D Very happy with it especially after the last weekend…[/FONT]
    Always good to have a loss and to have enjoyed your week
    fatrab wrote: »
    My consultant has just been in touch to say that I've been nominated for the Mr Sleek final this week in group! I've been asked to make a speech about my weight loss story.

Has anyone done this before that could give me some pointers? I'm not great at making speeches so any help would be appreciated.

Well done on your nomination. I was nominated for Miss Slinky, and the vote was last night. I lost to an absolutely brilliant member.

The speech doesn't have to be owt fancy. You've been nominated for who you are not for your speech making abilities.
    Generally most people cover one or more of the following:
    Why they joined
    Where they were
    How they are feeling now they have lost some weight
    Where they hope to get to
    What has helped them

Some people take a prop to help too. Something like an old pair of trousers that are now really big on you or a pre-loss photo.
    Zebras rock
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    So I won Mr Sleek last night..... granted, I was the only nominee. Love winning awards by default I do :rotfl:
  • pixielottie
    Options
    Well brace yourselves.... I weighed this morning (off to friends for dinner tonight and tomorrow night which is my normal weigh in)....-3 lbs I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost 3 lbs! and most of those have been after a gain the week before :j

I was a bit miffed that the first thing the lady doing the weighing said was "Do you normally weigh in an evening?" "that'll be it" I don't know if maybe it's a person doing the scales negativity requirement as the lady at our normal group can be a bit funny sometimes. My mum lost 8 and a half stone in 18 months, and about 12 months in she maintained for the first time (she had always lost!), and the lady at the scales said "ooh you want to watch that it will soon creep back up" .... :eek:

I'm naughty and weigh at home, and with my Thursday routine I do weigh the same morning and night. So maybe it annoyed me more because I know it actually is -3 not just more for weighing in the morning. But still... not helpful...!

Breakfast bit of a naughty weigh day one - mini soreen (6 syns, or might be 5.5 but if I say 6 I've got it covered). and a carrot cake hifi and tea always tea

Lunch - lo dough pizza - 2 syns for lo dough, and 2 for chorizo.

Dinner - friend was doing a roast but she has no electric at the moment so only time will tell...

I've also just made a stash of 1/2 a B and 4 syn millionaire shortbread pots, it's an adaption of a recipe from Tom Daleys book. makes a nice treat, will finish them off with the chocolate tomorrow :D x
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
    :happyhear
    (Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    kathrynha wrote: »
    Well done on your nomination. I was nominated for Miss Slinky, and the vote was last night. I lost to an absolutely brilliant member.

The speech doesn't have to be owt fancy. You've been nominated for who you are not for your speech making abilities.
    Generally most people cover one or more of the following:
    Why they joined
    Where they were
    How they are feeling now they have lost some weight
    Where they hope to get to
    What has helped them

Some people take a prop to help too. Something like an old pair of trousers that are now really big on you or a pre-loss photo.
    Thanks, I was thinking of taking the photo that made me want to change. I've also got a polo shirt that is absolutely massive on me now, it fitted me 8 weeks ago!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• fatrab
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    So I won Mr Sleek last night..... granted, I was the only nominee. Love winning awards by default I do :rotfl:
    I'd be counting that as a win too!! :D

• Stoke
    edited 31 October 2018 at 3:05PM
    Options
    I'd be counting that as a win too!! :D
    It felt extra special explaining why I deserved to win it instead of competition. I literally could have said anything :D To be fair, I actually did nominate (and vote for) the other lad who occasionally goes, but he decided not to attend.

The winner of Miss Skinny, was also my preferred nominee (and I suspect others) in the previous session and I was so chuffed to see her win (I voted for her as well). She's done incredibly well and her SW journey started after her husband tragically passed away. She actually explained last night that it was him who convinced her to join. He had said just before he passed that she needed to take better care of herself.

She's lost nearly 3st now and that is despite taking care of her grandkids all the time and having to deal with the various challenges that life throws at you. It's an awesome story and while my consultant has mentioned sending off my story to the magazine, I think hers is 1000x more inspiring.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    ....... while my consultant has mentioned sending off my story to the magazine, I think hers is 1000x more inspiring.

Ah come on Stoke send it in.

Actually I think SW are doing a massive dis-service to their male members by not having a man on their cover (and I've told them so!) - I'm sure there are a lot of men who would come to a group if they didn't think it 'was a woman thing'.
  • Stoke
    Options
    Ah come on Stoke send it in.

Actually I think SW are doing a massive dis-service to their male members by not having a man on their cover (and I've told them so!) - I'm sure there are a lot of men who would come to a group if they didn't think it 'was a woman thing'.
    Twisting my arm :D

I think part of the problem is the stigma though, of being in a group that is predominantly female-based. A lot of guys feel kind of embarrassed by it, but it's definitely getting better. Problem is some guys will walk in, see a room with 20 females, no males, and just immediately feel intimidated. It's definitely a myth that lads are all about bravado and think they're gods gift to women. If they're anything like me, then when I first walked into the room as a single man, I felt very weird about it. Going SW with my ex gave me a feeling of legitimacy about the whole thing, but for at least two or three groups after our breakup, I felt a bit like..... "do i really belong here?"
  • fatrab
    Options
    I found it very strange the first few times I went to group too. Luckily there are 3 regular guys in my group which definitely helped. Agreed with the bravado and gods gift comment too, I felt like a fat 40-something so there was no part of me that felt confident at all.

But our consultant is great, the group is friendly and I am getting to know them a bit better now so the "it's a woman thing" is a thing of the past for me, I'm thinking more that it's a hidden gem that so many guys would benefit from if they'd just give it a go.

• Stoke
    Options
    I found it very strange the first few times I went to group too. Luckily there are 3 regular guys in my group which definitely helped. Agreed with the bravado and gods gift comment too, I felt like a fat 40-something so there was no part of me that felt confident at all.

But our consultant is great, the group is friendly and I am getting to know them a bit better now so the "it's a woman thing" is a thing of the past for me, I'm thinking more that it's a hidden gem that so many guys would benefit from if they'd just give it a go.

I think the consultant is as important as the plan itself. Lately, our consultant has been going through a really rough time. I believe her mother is suffering from something along the lines of dementia, that kind of thing, and I know she's having to spend almost all of her time there.

Unfortunately, the three replacement consultants, I don't really feel have been up to the task at all. They mean well and are trying their best, but for example, a few weeks back a woman had lost 1lb and the replacement consultant seemed to suggest that was a bad thing. Not directly, but in her tone of voice and the way she replied to the 'confession' (as I call it). Last night, the consultant again, I didn't really feel was up to the job. SW is supposed to have a serious side but it needs to be light hearted and enjoyable, otherwise people will feel unwelcome. To be quite honest, I found her a bit pretentious last night.... and boring. Although we have different motives, we're all there for the same reason. At the end of the day, she just didn't quite cut the mustard for me.

To me, anything but a gain is good.... unless you're in your first week. Even a gain can be good if you know you've had a bad week. 1lbs off, 2lbs off, 3lbs off though, they're all good and a maintain isn't necessarily a bad thing. It proves you're keeping the weight off and the plan is working.

The point is, had one of those three consultants been running the group from the start, I'm not entirely sure I'd have stayed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure