Classic Car Design

Options

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Ford Granada Mk.II with the Cologne 2.8 Ltr engine. Preferably an aouto box and the fastback body.
    Fastback? Not in a Mk II surely.... Mk 1 Granada Ghia Coupe I agree but that had the Essex V6. You could transplant in a later Cologne engine - wonder if you could make it work with the Cosworth 2.9 and 4x4 running gear?
    Surely the real test of a classic design is the number of companies turning out realistic copies in the present day?
    On that criterion the AC cobra wins hands down. But the OP was talking about looks - and though the cobra was a great creation - I think Austin Healey 3000 is better looking for that sort of roadster.

And as people have mentioned it - the Range Rover Classic. OK - it looks boxy (and small!) compared to modern offerings from BMW/Audi/MB but I'd still like a CSK and if the lottery was kind to me - here's one.

In real fantasy territory - I like 30s styling. I saw this at a show once:
    alvis-special-14.JPG 1939 Alvis 4.3 with replica Van Den Plas bodywork. Weird colour choice!

I once saw an advert for a Bentley special - MK VI chassis from the early 50s; T type engine and gearbox; 30s boattail bodywork. (I can't find it on Google - or I'd link you the picture.) For stupid money - I might commission something like it on an Azure donor car.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Loads of lovely, still, motors.
    Thanks also marlot for providing the name of the "Maigret" Citreon.
    TR6 anyone?

I had one for many years, in Signal Red. Enormous fun to drive.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This weeks granddaughter pickup revealed that the Jag I mentioned is an XJ6. Oddly, before we wheeled her past it, there was also an XJ8 parked on the road. Both lovely. As I type there is a decent P reg Stag on a neighbours drive!
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't agree. My 12 year old knows what a Stratos looks like. And with the re-release of it (albeit coachbuilt) I feel it will become more iconic.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 November 2018 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Iconic? I think not. You'd struggle to find anyone - apart from Lancia fanatics - who could remember it, let alone describe the shape.

I don't agree, and I messed up with my other post LOL... Stupid boy Pike.

NSFW: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-lancia-stratos-latest-pictures-542bhp-supercar
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am seeing XJ's all over the place! This mornings, a nice XJ executive, whatever that might be. Fluted radiator trim, like Daimler.
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No Fiats in the list. I would suggest Fiat 124 Spider. Not many in the UK but I owned one in Canada.
    Nice to save.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am surprised at so much love for the MK3 Capri, it seem so unloved for so long.

I have a late MK3 2.8 Injection, 1.6 Laser and a 1971 3000GT XLR.

No one has mentioned some of the smaller stuff ???

Fiat 500
    Classic Mini Cooper (Early or Late)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet:
    6993775796_c206d688bc_b.jpg
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Exemplar wrote: »
    I don't agree, and I messed up with my other post LOL... Stupid boy Pike.

NSFW: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/new-lancia-stratos-latest-pictures-542bhp-supercar

I preferred the original Stratos.

I also love the Delta Integrale
    5b368cf9-6c8d-485a-80bb-f3172cb0534f.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills