Options

Comments

• Essexdelboy
    Essexdelboy Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    *Personal Details removed*

Dear Sir

New House in the Charante – Query re Waste Drainage Pipes

I hope that you will be able to help me with a problem I am experiencing with my new house near Angouleme. Incidentally, I got your details from the French Property News magazine.

I have had a house built by Maison de’n France and recently spent 3 weeks there with my wife. The property is a ‘bungalow’ actually with a living area of 250 square metres. As is to be expected, there have been various ‘teething’ problems with the building, most of which have been resolved. However, there is one problem I am encountering and am having difficulty in resolving with the builders. This is the regular blockage (every 7 days or so) of the waste from the en-suite shower, hand basin and toilet. It is this that I hope that you can help me with, perhaps by sending me a copy of the building regulations/requirements for such drainage pipe work?

The en-suite drainage exits the house below ground and at the corner of the property turns through 90 degrees and it is there that a drain cover of only about 1 foot square is situated. The two instances of waste blockage in the pipes were experienced in the 3 week stay occurred here and the exposed ‘elbow’ angle of the pipes (which appear to be no more than 4 inches) below the cover indicate to me that the 90 degree ‘turn’ in direction is too severe for the waste to flow freely. It is my view that the inspection cover should be excavated, then enlarged, with the drainage pipes being replaced so that the present ‘tight’ 90 degree ‘elbow’ configuration is changed to a far more ‘gentle’ curve. Unfortunately, the builders disagree. However, I maintain that the two instances of blockage indicate that something is wrong with the installation and should be corrected by the builders. I am unwilling to consider regularly clearing the ‘smelly’ blocked drains on a new house!

Would it be possible for you to provide me with information regarding the correct waste drainage pipe configuration, particularly that relating to inspection cover and 90 degree angle turns? I have tried to resolve this problem amicably with the builders, but they are refusing to undertake the remedial work. I now need help and guidance on this matter and I hope that you will be able to provide me with the information I request. If not, perhaps you will be kind enough to suggest where I can obtain details of the building requirements relating the drainage of waste.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course and that you for taking the time to read this e-mail. If you require any additional information, or perhaps would like to clarify any issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks

*Personal details removed*
    Rock on MSE!!!
  • gregjamieson
    Options
    Hi Ian.

I've currently got an crusty old boiler on it's last legs and an electric water cylinder for hot water. I was thinking of investing in a new combi boiler and was wondering what make and model you'd suggest.

I live in a small house, with 2 hot water taps, 4 single radiators and 2 double radiators.

Any ideas?
  • craigbickers
    Options
    My Baxi Combi boiler has started leaking around the push rod on the diverter valve assembly, even though the boiler is only 2.5 years old. Is this to be expected or should I complian to Baxi?

Many thanks
  • gjw_3
    gjw_3 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Ian,

I get the feeling you're going to be swamped on this, looking how many questions have been asked already but I'll ask anyway in case you manage to answer all of us.

Our main bathroom is on the first floor and every time the toilet is flushed there is a really foul smell, mainly in the kitchen which is directly below. The smell is much worse when the toilet hasn't been flushed for a while (i.e. 1st thing in the morning, 1st flush after getting home from work/ holidays away etc) and doesn't seem to bear any connection to what was being flushed away - for want of a better description! my guess is that it's the movement of the foul water in the U-bend/ water trap that causes the smell but don't know how to sort it out.

Thanks

Gareth :confused:
  • MissMoneyPenny_5
    Options
    Dear Ian

How easy is it for an ordinary person (like myself) to replace mixer taps (with shower thingy) on my bath? I just want to put a working set on in place of the old not working very well set.

I have a family of 5 and we all take 3 hours to wash our hair with a pathetic trickle at the moment. It's boring.

Thanks.
  • ursulasgoldmine
    Options
    toilet problem.....water keeps running constantly down at the back of pan and doesnt stop when flushing is complete. Can I remedy this myself or do I need a plummer. It is a new system. Thanks.
  • Jackiekaren
    Jackiekaren Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Ian

I've been told I need a new water diverting valve on my combi boiler by my ex who is a plumber, but he lives too far away to repair it.

I called in a plumber who quoted the part at about £80 (Ravenheat boiler). However, he says the system may need draining to replace it. Is this a con to add labour time?

(Maybe I've been watching Rogue Traders too much!)

Thanks

Jackie
    My mantra is simple: If I don't help myself first, I shouldn't expect it from others. If I don't like something, I will change it. If I can't change it, I will learn to deal with it.

I accept responsibility for my own actions and my own situation. A sense of entitlement is not healthy and will only lead to consistent disappointment.
  • viney
    viney Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ian

I have a combi boiler, unless it is switched on for water, we do not get any pressure for the hot water (cold is ok). Its not a problem in that we need the water on and it does not heat it unless we open the tap.

It is not a problem although I have never heard any situation like that and need to extend plumbing for a new sink.

Do you know why that happens and if it will cause any problems?

Thanks
    All that glisters is not gold, except moneysavingexpert.com
  • skeggysteve
    skeggysteve Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ian,
    I'll try to make it short!
    New pressurised oil central heating installed 5 months ago.
    Running at, recommended 1 bar - how often should it need re-pressurising?
    I'm having to do it about every 4/6 weeks.
    How often should the 'over limit stat' trip?
    Mine does about every 2 weeks and I can't see any pattern.
    Many thanks, from all of us on MSE!
    Steve
  • ian_edwards_3
    Options
    hi Ian,
    hope you can help , there are lots of pipe systems available like Hep2o etc what do you recomend for central heating bearing in mind cost,ease of fitting etc. thanks another Ian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure