Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Options

Comments

• anotherjames
    Options
    Hi Ian,
    I would like to put a tap outside so i don't have to carry a full watering can through my flat (and spill it) to water the garden. I have spotted some diy kits in B&Q and suchlike, and wondered how you rated them (if at all), or whether i would be better off having one plumbed in 'properly'? The kits seem to rely on tapping into a cold water pipe and simply running a hose through the wall to a tap - what do you think?
    Many Thanks
    anotherjames
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, long-time lurker, first time poster! Please help! Our overflow is constantly running from upstairs. The only way to stop it is to run the hot tap then it starts again. How can I stop it?
    I also have brown bathwater and my water tank 'boils' if you leave the electric immersion heater on rather than use thegas

HELP!

C xx

you may need a new themostat in your imersion heater,as if the tank is boiling over,it will possably discharge dirty coloured water into the storage tank which supply,s your taps.
    As for the problem with you overflow running,it could be connected to the Heater fault,if not it will just need re-washering.
  • kayell
    kayell Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Like a couple of others in this forum I am having problems in getting the central heating to switch off. When it comes on with the timer and the thermostat is down to zero the radiators still get hot when it should be just the hot water system. Is it the valve, the thermostat or the clock please? I only replaced the valve a couple of years ago and it has been working fine.
  • plumb1_2
    Options
    fish1000 wrote:
    I have a plumbing question - I live in a 2-storey flat (so everything's on one level, with water tank up in the loft above). When I empty my bath, it backs up into the bathroom sink. Is there a blockage, or some other inbalance?

Cheers!

If you have not had this problem before,then it would surgest that you do have a blockage.
    If it is makeing a gurgalling sound and has done so for sometime you may req anti-vat traps,as the waste should be vented,usualy through the bath/sink overflow.
  • Mut1ey
    Mut1ey Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Terrible smell when washing machine starts cycle.

This happens every time for the first 5 mins, or so, of the cycle. It smells like a sewer, however the waster is plumbed into a standard outdoor drain, and said drain does not whiff at all. And after the initial few minutes the smell disappears. Any ideas what could be causing this?
  • plumb1_2
    Options
    kayell wrote:
    Like a couple of others in this forum I am having problems in getting the central heating to switch off. When it comes on with the timer and the thermostat is down to zero the radiators still get hot when it should be just the hot water system. Is it the valve, the thermostat or the clock please? I only replaced the valve a couple of years ago and it has been working fine.

Does sound like a valve problem,as it is by-passing when you only have the water on.
    Start the system from cold with only the hot water side set on and place your hand on the heating outlet side of the value,and see if it is letting by.
  • plumb1_2
    Options
    Mut1ey wrote:
    Terrible smell when washing machine starts cycle.

This happens every time for the first 5 mins, or so, of the cycle. It smells like a sewer, however the waster is plumbed into a standard outdoor drain, and said drain does not whiff at all. And after the initial few minutes the smell disappears. Any ideas what could be causing this?

is there a trap fitted to the outlet pipe?
  • plumb1_2
    Options
    Hi Ian,
    I would like to put a tap outside so i don't have to carry a full watering can through my flat (and spill it) to water the garden. I have spotted some diy kits in B&Q and suchlike, and wondered how you rated them (if at all), or whether i would be better off having one plumbed in 'properly'? The kits seem to rely on tapping into a cold water pipe and simply running a hose through the wall to a tap - what do you think?
    Many Thanks
    anotherjames

IMO they are not very good,i would advise have a outside tap properly installed.
  • bs2005
    bs2005 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every time I shut off a mains cold water pipe in the house, there is a knock. I have tried lifting up the floorboards and jamming any wobbly pipes with polystyrene or pipe clips, but it still persists.
    Also, why are some taps and cisterns more noisy when filling up or being used than others?
    Thanks
  • bs2005
    bs2005 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every time I shut off a mains cold water pipe in the house, there is a knock. I have tried lifting up the floorboards and jamming any wobbly pipes with polysterine or pipe clips, but it still persists.
    Also, why are some taps and cisterns more noisy when filling up or being used than others?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport