Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Options

Comments

• carl3276
    Options
    My boiler keeps switching itself off, including the pilot light(the pump continues running)
    I have replaced the thermocouple(and cleaned all the connections), which seemed to work for a week or two, but now its started doing the same.I have also checked the (balanced)flu and its clear.
    I have left just the pilot light on today without switching the heating/water on and it didnt go out.

Any ideas what to try next?
  • bigmuffins
    Options
    Hi
    Just found this thread hope you can help!
    My sister is getting v. upset about this:
    when you turn the cold water tap on in the bathroom, it emits a high pitched squeal that varies with the volume of water but stops when tap is fully on!
    No vibrations or banging just a squeal.

Someone suggested it may be a washer needs replacing? Is this the cause or could it be anything else?
    Thanks
  • mycar37
    mycar37 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure how to (or where to) ask a question in this forum. My problem is that we have only gravity pressure on our hot water side. Is it possible to have a pump installed on the hot water pipe to provide at least 1 bar of pressure and is there an optimum place to install such a pump. The hot water is currently provided by a Lennox gas-fired water tank fed from the tank in the loft. Would appreciate any advice.
  • kazzagrezza
    Options
    Hi Ian
    We have a combi boiler (2 years old) and thermostats on the radiators which are really hot unless we turn them down. However, one or two of the rads have started to "hiss". We turn the rads down which stops the noise but after a while the hiss returns. Can you advise what this is and how we alleviate the problem?

Many thanks
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ian
    Our bath tap is dripping so we need to change the washer but I'm not sure how to turn the water off to the hot taps. We have a hot water tank and I can see a red tap thing behind it. Is that likely to stop water flowing into or out of the tank?
    Is it a case of turn this tap and then empty the tank?
    If I turn the wrong tap off is my tank likely to explode with hot water?
    I hope that makes sense.
    Many Thanks :)
  • bernlyn
    bernlyn Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    hi ian

i just wondered if you would know roughly what it would cost to move my drain outside the kitchen +-1to2 meters to the left as it will be the waste outlet from the new bathroom upstairs as my original waste stack is on the otherside of the house
  • tom68_2
    Options
    Hi Ian,
    We have a combi boiler with a mixer shower. It was leaking recently so we took it apart to check the seals, tightened everything up, and put it back together. The leak stopped but now when you use the shower it only stays hot for a few seconds before the boiler stops firing and the water goes cold. The same happens with the bathroom taps, but the kitchen is fine. Can we fix this ourselves?
    Thanks
  • Monza29
    Options
    I consider myself reasonably adequate in DIY. Previously I have successfully fitted both kitchens and bathrooms including all the plumbing and electrical work. I am now considering doing the same in my new home but I am unsure what I can legally do, and what I need a proffesional to do for me.

Where can I obtain information on the current requirements in a format that I can easily understand? Is it possible to do all the work myself and get it certified aferwards?

:confused:
  • OooohMatron
    OooohMatron Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone please tell me what the 'doughnut' is on a toilet/cistern?

:confused:
  • beefster
    beefster Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A quick query.
    I'm fitting a new bath which is fed via a tank fed hot water cylinder. Would using flexible tap connections with a 10 or even 13 mm bore reduce the flow enough to be worried about?? Or should I take the 22mm feed straight to the tap. I am connecting to a low pressure bath fill / shower mixer and its due to go in under orders from her in doors this w/e!

Ta
    I save so I can spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family