Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Options

Comments

• Minxy
    Minxy Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

THe pipe that goes into the cold water tank in my loft seams to be leaking (not all the time). It is not in the middle of the pipe but at the end where is connects to something else (you may have guess I am not very technically minded). Do you think I can get something to seal it myself, I saw an advert for something called Loctite Repair Express Power Putty and wondered if that or something like that might work?
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Minxy wrote:
    Hi

THe pipe that goes into the cold water tank in my loft seams to be leaking (not all the time). It is not in the middle of the pipe but at the end where is connects to something else (you may have guess I am not very technically minded). Do you think I can get something to seal it myself, I saw an advert for something called Loctite Repair Express Power Putty and wondered if that or something like that might work?

It will be the tap connector on the ballvalve, all you will need is a new Fibre Washer(10p) call into any good diy store. You will need a adjustable spanner and a pair of Grips.
  • wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    Mint1955 wrote:
    We have a new to us (but 3 year old house) and thought that when it got hot just lately we could turn of the heating and just leave the hot water running from our gas central heating boiler. Problem is some of the radiators still get hot. The only way we can get cold rads in some rooms is to turn of the thermostatic valves on the actual radiators. Is this normal. Regards Sheila

i get this too just with my bathroom radiator. doent bother me cos in winter i keep the heating on anytime i'm at home and in the summer i have all the radiator thermostats turned down. be interested to hear the answer though,
    i figured its cos the previous owners extended the bathroom & therefor mucked about with the plumbing. apparently its pretty common though.
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• lotto-dreamer
    Options
    Originally Posted by Mint1955
    We have a new to us (but 3 year old house) and thought that when it got hot just lately we could turn of the heating and just leave the hot water running from our gas central heating boiler. Problem is some of the radiators still get hot. The only way we can get cold rads in some rooms is to turn of the thermostatic valves on the actual radiators. Is this normal. Regards Sheila

Same problem here! Was hoping it does not mean an expensive plumbing job to fix :eek: Would also be grateful to know the answer as well - especially if it's reassuringly inexpensive
  • Hi Ian

I have a Bosch Classix Slimline Dishwasher. Tonight there was water left in the bottom of the machine.

The troubleshooting guide says it's probably a blocked or kinked pipe or a blocked pump.

Can you tell me how to check for each & if/when I find out which it is how to fix it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
  • Paulo
    Paulo Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ian,

I am currently replacing a bathroom, the old shower (above the bath) has been taken out but I will need to replace the existing pipe with one that sits in the chase in the wall.
    - Will connect to the existing cold water pipe that feeds the rest of the bathroom.
    - Attach an isolating valve to new pipe
    - Attach another section from the isolating valve to the shower (in the chased out wall).

This will also involve bending the pipes what is the best way to do this?
    Any advice welcome.

Thanks
  • beachfarm
    Options
    Ian

I have bought a house with an old delapidated swimming pool. The boiler is also old and needs replacing. If I replace the boiler with a new condensing type system is it possible to use that to heat the pool, for example using a a heat exchanger system? Is it a good idea? Can you point me in the direction of where I can read some advice or technical information about specifying or designing such a system.

Many thanks - John
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there

I rent out a house. I have just had the combi boiler serviced. I asked the engineer who has been servicing the boiler for 5 years, to check the pilot light, as it keeps going out. He didn't do it, it still keeps going out and he won't come back, saying he does not know anything about that type of boiler, Ravenheat. What could be the cause of the pilot light going out?

Thank you
  • SP1
    SP1 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    maypole wrote:
    Hello there
    What could be the cause of the pilot light going out?

Thank you

Hi

There is a 90% chance that it is the thermocouple...

Regards
    :beer: :rotfl: :doh:
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Ian

I am in a bit of a dilema as to what to go for. We are having the whole central heating and plumbing done in our 4 bed room house. We also hav a single storey rear extension. We have 8 radiators in the house, a bathroom upstairs and a shower room in the new extension. I have been advised that I should have a condensor boiler and a megaflo. What are your thoughts on the matter and what makes should i go for.

many thanks

Ritesh
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure