Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Options

Comments

• The_Governor
    Options
    You don't need to take the tap handle off, you can re-pack the gland by just unscrewing the collar. Have a look at:
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/stop_tap/leaking_stop_tap.htm

Thank you BobProperty, very much obliged.

Tomorrow I will venture bravely forth with my wrench :D
  • SP1
    SP1 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I've got what i hope is a simple one...
    SP1 wrote:
    Well it could be if you don't get wet repairing it...
    Am I right in thinking this is probably the gland, and if so, am I right in thinking I do the following:-
    SP1 wrote:
    Almost
    1. Turn the tap to the off position
    2. Unscrew the screw on top and remove the tap handle.
    3. Undo the hexagon nut just behind the arrow and the tighten the gland (behind it), or repack it if that doesn't solve it?

Am I right, or am I going to make a mess here?

This came about because I gave the tap the usual 6 monthly turn to stop it seizing, I should leave well enough alone! :o

Hi...

First try this...
    Open the tap about half way, tighten the small hexagon nut using a small suitable adjustable spanner in a clockwise direction by no more than 10 minuets as in looking at a clock face. Wipe dry and check to see if this has stopped the leak. If so GR8 Also make sure you can still turn the tap "On" & "Off"

If not try turning the small hexagon nut again clockwise 5 more minuets then turn it back 5 minuets, dry and check if this has stopped the leak plus you can still turn the tap "On & "Off" It will indubitably be slightly harder to turn, but this should cure your leak...

Regards
    :beer: :rotfl: :doh:
  • matthewwoodward
    Options
    Hi Ian,

Thanks in advance.
    I have two problems here both related to my plumbing. (no punns please)
    Firstly, when we turn our hot taps on and even our shower, which runs from the mains water and is not an electric one, we get like a small trickle out so we turn them more and more then all of a sudden woosh! looks like you wet your self and water spews out, why is that and how do you cure it?
    AND, I have a ruddy annoying knocking noise whenever I have the central heating on. Now its not a combi system as I have an imersion tank for water. I have tested it and the knocking is not present as often when its just the water turned on, its on there more often when I have the radiators on.
    I have bled all the radiators and topped u the system but its still there.
    I honestly cant sleep. I have to have the heating on in the cold weather but the knocking nosie keep sme awake. Please help save my sanity!
    Matt
  • matthewwoodward
    Options
    Hi Ian,

Thanks in advance.
    I have two problems here both related to my plumbing. (no punns please)
    Firstly, when we turn our hot taps on and even our shower, which runs from the mains water and is not an electric one, we get like a small trickle out so we turn them more and more then all of a sudden woosh! looks like you wet your self and water spews out, why is that and how do you cure it?
    AND, I have a ruddy annoying knocking noise whenever I have the central heating on. Now its not a combi system as I have an imersion tank for water. I have tested it and the knocking is not present as often when its just the water turned on, its on there more often when I have the radiators on.
    I have bled all the radiators and topped u the system but its still there.
    I honestly cant sleep. I have to have the heating on in the cold weather but the knocking nosie keep sme awake. Please help save my sanity!
    Matt
  • The_Governor
    Options
    Thnaks to both BobProperty and SP1, I just tightened the gland nut and it looks like my leak has gone :D
  • themonkeyking1
    Options
    Hi Ian,
    here is my problem - my central heating system is old and needs retiring, the gas pipe from my meter to the boiler is 18mm and the 2 guys I've had quotes from have told me it would give insufficient pressure for the new condencing boilers. They say it needs replacing with 25mm pipe.
    Because of the layout of the house my meter is about 40m from the boiler and replacing it would mean digging up a fair sizes section of the patio.
    I suppose my question is - are there any new type boilers that could be used with the lower pressure from an 18mm pipe or could something be done on the meter side to increase the pressure?

A long way to ask a quick question I know, soz.

Many thanks for any help you might be able to send my way.

Stu.
  • babyangel10
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly, forgive the terminology! I have a 8 year old house with a big tank in the attic and a cylinder thingy :o in airing cupboard if it's relevant, but when more than 1 of us try to have a bath straight after each other, the tank runs out of water and nothing comes out of bathroom taps. Water still comes from mains in kitchen, but nothing upstairs - not even cold water.:confused:

The tank then takes up to 5 hours to refill. Any ideas guys? We haven't got a shower so you can imagine the nightmare in the mornings - fighting to see who can get in the bathroom first!

TIA :)
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Three possibilities ;
    The ball valve arm is stuck in the 'up' position and therefore won't let water through.(least likely)
    The ball valve washer is old and has lost is flexibility(large diaphram type)
    The ball valve is blocked
    You might need to get someone in if you are not comfortable with DIY.
    Hope that helps.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • babyangel10
    Options
    Thanks for that - ball valve deffo not stuck up, but the other two are possibilities.

Pretty comfy with DIY so I'll have to study me ball valves and have a go! ;)

Thanks again :)
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    quote=themonkeyking1]Hi Ian,
    here is my problem - my central heating system is old and needs retiring, the gas pipe from my meter to the boiler is 18mm and the 2 guys I've had quotes from have told me it would give insufficient pressure for the new condencing boilers. They say it needs replacing with 25mm pipe.
    Because of the layout of the house my meter is about 40m from the boiler and replacing it would mean digging up a fair sizes section of the patio.
    I suppose my question is - are there any new type boilers that could be used with the lower pressure from an 18mm pipe or could something be done on the meter side to increase the pressure?

A long way to ask a quick question I know, soz.

Many thanks for any help you might be able to send my way.

Stu.[/QUOTE]

You should get someone Corgi to quote you .
    He/she will be able to work out the size of pipe by measuring the pipe run against the needs of a boiler.
    Just by your description I would say you might need some 28mm from the meter.
    There is no way you can boost the pressure at the meter end (or anywhere else )
    Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure