Are leather seats overrated?

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    macman wrote: »
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    You have to remember back then seatbelts were something of a novelty rather than a genuine requirement so your skin sticking to the seats was an important safety feature :money:
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...
    I have many fond memories as a child with 5 or more of us crammed in the back of a parent's car with no seatbelts in use. Thankfully vinyl seats kept us firmly seared in place.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • AdrianC
    Ah, the back seat is a different question. It's only 32 years since they were compulsory.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Stop it AdrianC, you're making me feel old.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 October 2018 at 2:20PM

Indeed, though the fitting of them may have been a legal requirement for 53 years, the wearing of them has only been a legal requirement 35 years ago.
  • AdrianC
    motorguy wrote: »
    Indeed, though the fitting of them may have been a legal requirement for 53 years, the wearing of them has only been a legal requirement 35 years ago.
    ...and 27 years for the wearing of rears.

But since the comment was that "back then seatbelts were a novelty", I think we can go with the first compulsory fitment date, don't you? (And no shoes to walk the 43 miles to school, via an 18hr shift at t'pit, wi' nowt to eat bar a hole in the road...)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better

Are you okay hun?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ...and 27 years for the wearing of rears.

But since the comment was that "back then seatbelts were a novelty", I think we can go with the first compulsory fitment date, don't you? (And no shoes to walk the 43 miles to school, via an 18hr shift at t'pit, wi' nowt to eat bar a hole in the road...)

They were a novelty. I can remember people not using them but them being fitted to cars. I know a lot of people who didnt wear them until they had to.

They were there but people didnt bother using them. That seems quite alien an idea now but it was common at the time.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    They were a novelty. I can remember people not using them but them being fitted to cars. I know a lot of people who didnt wear them until they had to.

They were there but people didnt bother using them. That seems quite alien an idea now but it was common at the time.

I remember when it became compulsory, someone launched a range of jackets that were coloured to make it look like you were wearing a seat belt. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure