Are leather seats overrated?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vinyl's even worse with an open roof. My first car was a 2cv with black "targa" textured seats. Park that in the sun with the roof off, then get in wearing shorts...
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Well that really makes sense. It's a seat. why does it matter what the badge on your box is?

Well, it does when you come to sell it. Jaguar/Merc/etc. buyers expect leather, and cloth cars suffer greather depreciation.

On the other hand, leather in a Fiesta doesn't add to the value. It's seen as polishing a t**d.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    Leather quality from different manufacturers can vary hugely. Not to mention the seat support, bolsters and so forth. The sports seats in my RX8, are heated leather and IMO are much better and supportive than s lot of cars I have been in.

I hate to burst your bubble but they are not real leather.

ETA But I suppose it doesn't matter with a pretend car.
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    nope, not overrated (for me at least) got to love the wipe clean aspects ;)
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I just don't "get" leather seats. They come heated or cooled, because they are leather. You don't need heating or cooling with fabric seats. I keep my cars for many years & have never had problems with fabric getting dirty or wearing out. Unfortunately with most manufacturers leather comes as standard on the comfy seats so I have to put up with them.

Yet the produce heated fabric seats.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    Leather quality from different manufacturers can vary hugely. Not to mention the seat support, bolsters and so forth. The sports seats in my RX8, are heated leather and IMO are much better and supportive than s lot of cars I have been in.

Heated from the bull§hit?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them).
    I can remember when 'cloth seats' was an upgrade from the base spec.

I've had a few cars with leather and, to be honest, I love it. It's hard-wearing and easily cleaned in a way that cloth can never be, and there is a feel of a bit of luxury that is a nice bonus at the end of a long working day. The leather seats in my Range Rover are 18 years old, and apart from a bit of wear on the right-hand driver's seat bolster, they look fresh and new. Cold in winter and hot in summer, but I don't care.

Mt MX-5 had "leather and suede" seats and trim. Ha bloody ha. The 'suede' was a material called Alcantara, and the 'leather' was caught by a ray of sun reflected in the rear-view mirror and melted. They sold them as 'leather and suede' with no qualification in the original adverts, but in all conscience I could not repeat that when I sold it.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 688 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I have full leather on my Ferrari.........er not the car, my sofa and chair is made by Ferrari, apparently it’s the same family as who make the cars..0-60 never..:rotfl:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Well that really makes sense. It's a seat. why does it matter what the badge on your box is?

It does yes. However perhaps it just doesnt make sense to you.

Probably the ex-motor trader coming out in me - having a feeling about what will resell and what wont. Mostly subliminal i guess.

I'd be in to modern classics to and again spec there plays a big part.

For something just to get me from A to B though i wouldnt give a monkeys. And as i said, generally speaking i can take leather or leave it.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...

Yup. My first car was a Marina with vinyl seats. They didnt even recline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure