Forum Home» Motoring

Are leather seats overrated? - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Are leather seats overrated?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
65 replies 4.6K views
12346

Replies

  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    Just be grateful that cars no longer come with vinyl seats (anyone under 50 probably won't have experienced them). I vividly remember my first Mini, which after a couple of hours parked in the sun would have seats hot enough to fry an egg on. And the aircon on that was achieved by sliding the window open...
    You have to remember back then seatbelts were something of a novelty rather than a genuine requirement so your skin sticking to the seats was an important safety feature :money:
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    31.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...
  • Clive_WoodyClive_Woody Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...
    I have many fond memories as a child with 5 or more of us crammed in the back of a parent's car with no seatbelts in use. Thankfully vinyl seats kept us firmly seared in place.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    31.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the back seat is a different question. It's only 32 years since they were compulsory.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stop it AdrianC, you're making me feel old.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • edited 15 October 2018 at 2:20PM
    motorguymotorguy Forumite
    20.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 October 2018 at 2:20PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Given that seatbelts have been a legal requirement on all new cars for 53 years now...

    Indeed, though the fitting of them may have been a legal requirement for 53 years, the wearing of them has only been a legal requirement 35 years ago.
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    31.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »
    Indeed, though the fitting of them may have been a legal requirement for 53 years, the wearing of them has only been a legal requirement 35 years ago.
    ...and 27 years for the wearing of rears.


    But since the comment was that "back then seatbelts were a novelty", I think we can go with the first compulsory fitment date, don't you? (And no shoes to walk the 43 miles to school, via an 18hr shift at t'pit, wi' nowt to eat bar a hole in the road...)
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you're sitting on the skin of an animal that was skinned alive for that, and worse. Leather is disgusting and the sooner it heads the same way fur is going, the better

    Are you okay hun?
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    20.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    ...and 27 years for the wearing of rears.


    But since the comment was that "back then seatbelts were a novelty", I think we can go with the first compulsory fitment date, don't you? (And no shoes to walk the 43 miles to school, via an 18hr shift at t'pit, wi' nowt to eat bar a hole in the road...)

    They were a novelty. I can remember people not using them but them being fitted to cars. I know a lot of people who didnt wear them until they had to.

    They were there but people didnt bother using them. That seems quite alien an idea now but it was common at the time.
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
  • RichardD1970RichardD1970 Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »
    They were a novelty. I can remember people not using them but them being fitted to cars. I know a lot of people who didnt wear them until they had to.

    They were there but people didnt bother using them. That seems quite alien an idea now but it was common at the time.

    I remember when it became compulsory, someone launched a range of jackets that were coloured to make it look like you were wearing a seat belt. :eek:
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support