Smoke Alarm, Fire advice and MORE

Options

Comments

• jud!th
    jud!th Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    anyone at all can have them fitted.

I second the bit about the two fit firemen! They came to do the smoke alarms and check our house for fire safety during the school holidays, and our 5-year-old had a great time asking them questions and getting in to the fire safety stuff.

Can't recommend this freebie highly enough.
  • mkbswimstar
    Options
    Update: Ive had 2 fitted at our new house. The kids had fun watching the firemen fit them and seeing the fire engine outside. I had the chat with the other officer about exits and having a plan if it happens. The smoke alarms have 10yr batterys in them and when they run out they are replaced for free. If they go off due to cooking e.t.c. u just press them and they go on pause for 15 mins and then automatically reset, so no forgetting to put the battery back. Its a great service and its reassurring to know i am doing my best to protect my family. Even better its all free!
  • jezebel
    jezebel Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had this done recently and were advised that the existing smoke alarm we had was in the wrong place and had been for over 15 years - it's peace of mind and that is something that money can't buy!
    Mortgage Free since January 2018!
  • kim_ley
    kim_ley Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot about this one! they came to my old flat and was great... was having a girly night in at the time and was great fun oggling the firemen... sssssmmmmokin!!
    I'll have to get them round again now I've upgraded my premises lol!
    I'm an MSE SLACKER!!!! Slap my bum.

Been a long time but i'm back.
    :o
  • SuperSaverSue_2
    Options
    Gonna be moving into a new house soon so you never know how old the smoke alarms are or even if they have any!

Cheers for this
  • MARTINS_DOLL
    MARTINS_DOLL Posts: 11,141 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2009 at 12:21PM
    Options
    This has been posted previously, but the links are now out of date, so thought I'd post with the updated link.

Hope it is useful to some people... :)

What is a home fire safety visit? We will visit you at home to offer advice on how to make your home safe and where appropriate fit a smoke alarm for free.
    Who is eligible? We target our visits in areas and situations where we know there is a higher risk of fire, including the homes of older or disabled people, but anyone living in London can request a home fire safety visit.
    Why request a visit? If you are concerned that your home may be at risk of fire or know someone who you think needs our help then please arrange a visit.
    How long will it take to complete the form? No more than a couple of minutes
    What do we do with your personal information? See our privacy statement.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/HomeFireSafetyVisit.asp
    ................................... MSE MARTIN LEWIS ... :A ... THANK YOU.......................
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you go to most local fire stations anywhere in England or call them they can arrange for a fire officer to call round and do a safety inspection and most will give you a free smoke alarm.
    The one that visited my mother was lucky to escape with his life. She'd have had him there all afternoon given half a chance.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,928 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • glitzy
    glitzy Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our local fire station came 2 years ago when we had just moved into our house. They came in the fire engine, so its nice for the kids - they put up 4 new smoke alarms, 1 on each floor, 1 in our daughters room & 1 in the extension, plus they explained an escape route & how to knock out a window, by all 4 corners, I was very impressed x
    ....YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY :wink: ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure