Smoke Alarm, Fire advice and MORE

Options

Comments

• Chocmonster7
    Options
    I got this service after there had been a house fire in the next road. They said it was standard now for them to go round and check houses in the neighourhood and install alarms for free if they weren't present already.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just for you rubylou, although these firemen seem to have forgotten to put all their uniform on - very sloppy i have to say...

2.jpg

Impressive chopper on the left too...

THANK YOU! Just what I need during my work break, to distract me a bit hehehe

Not just for Rubylou I hope, there's two of them after all, can I book myself for the one she does not want (I am easygoing hehe)?

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • angellotz
    Options
    cor blimey.

i think they do this all over, they came to my mums in gloucestershire when we had a fire when i was staying (a week before she got flooded!!), and they did my house in herts. i must say, our firemen weren't up to the standard that they are in glos (looks-wise). incidentally, my mum is now seeing one of the ones that came to help out with her smoke alarms day after the fire...
    Wins since June: iPod shuffle 1gb, Samsung g800, cinema ticket, lush retro giftbox, 2x mp3 downloads, a big box of food (???)
  • astraldreamer
    Options
    We got offered this recently, but a friendly fireman who called around promoting the service. It was excellent - really useful advice and he ended up fitting three free smoke alarms (plus we already have one old one).
  • chrismoney1800
    Options
    Really useful, thanks!
    My mum and sister have the same fetish for firemen!
    Will let them know!
    They will take all the firealarms down 3 mins before they come, just so they stay longer. (Not Really...... Don't waste emergency services time..... I was joking) lol

:D Thanks OP!
  • thelurch
    thelurch Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just for you rubylou, although these firemen seem to have forgotten to put all their uniform on - very sloppy i have to say...

2.jpg

Im a firefighter and this is definately available in all areas, we have had problems recently with bogus firefighters knocking on doors and selling them and charging for fitting. There is no cost. And if you cannot hear a normal smoke alarm because of hearing problems we can fit special deaf alarms which have a vibrating pad which goes under your pillow and a flashing strobe light.

And I hate it when they keep using my photo!.......... ( I wish!)
  • angellotz
    Options

2.jpg

i'm just wondering why we can;t see the one on the rights chopper :confused:
    Wins since June: iPod shuffle 1gb, Samsung g800, cinema ticket, lush retro giftbox, 2x mp3 downloads, a big box of food (???)
  • lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The home fire safety visits are carried out by operational crews, they are completely free and you may be eligible for a free smoke alarm. You will not be sold anything.

The visits focus on three key areas:

1. Identify and be aware of the potential fire risks within your home
    2. Know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks
    3. Put together an escape plan in case a fire does break out and ensure you have working smoke alarrms

You may also make enquiries on behalf of another person - however unless you are responsible for that person, you will need to obtain their permission before you proceed.
    http://www.fire.gov.uk/Home+safety/IsYourHomeSafe/FreeHomeSafetyCheck.htm
    :hello:
  • MARTINS_DOLL
    MARTINS_DOLL Posts: 11,141 Forumite
    Options
    ................................... MSE MARTIN LEWIS ... :A ... THANK YOU.......................
  • MARTINS_DOLL
    MARTINS_DOLL Posts: 11,141 Forumite
    Options
    lorweld wrote: »

I will say though Lorraine, this particular freebie cannot be publicised enough.
    Thanks for bringing it up again... :beer:
    ................................... MSE MARTIN LEWIS ... :A ... THANK YOU.......................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure