Smoke Alarm, Fire advice and MORE

Options
Make contact with your local fire brigade or station (Not via 999 - some people need to be told) and request a FREE Home Fire Safety Check, if they are available in your area.

Most Brigades perform this (Derbyshire Definatly Do!) by way of a fire engine coming round to your house and 2 of the nice people having a chat with you, about possible dangers and supplying (and fitting) a smoke alarm for free if you do not already have one - and they replace them free when the battery runs out. Theyn will even show your kids round the fire engine too!

You can also have your chip-pan replaced with a BRAND NEW electric deep fat fryer if you fall into a 'high risk' category.

Hurry though, as government funding only lasts until 2008.

Protecting your family is a bargain. :j

Hope this helps everyone.

Comments

• greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    Something I've intended to do for a long time. Thanks, for the reminder. Will give them a call tomorrow.
  • thatgirlsam
    thatgirlsam Posts: 10,451 Forumite
    Options
    i did this a while ago, i didnt realise they would come in a fire engine.. all the neighbours came out to see if my house was on fire!! some lovely firemen too hehe..
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • dangermouse83
    Options
    i like the sound of nice firemen calling round.... :A
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    the firebrigade where doing a thing at my local tesco store 2 months ago saying that they would come round and install a fire alarm free - 2 months and they still havent done it :confused:
  • toby14483
    Options
    There can be a massive backlog, depending on how many people responded to the campaign in your area.

They will probably phone you out of the blue when you have forgotten all about it, and arrange it.

Might be worth phoning the local headquarters and asking about it...
  • stan7632
    Options
    The London Fire Brigade are doing these checks and providing free smoke alarms.
    Check out http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_safety/community_fire_safety/hfsv.asp
    Stan
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm did someone mention firemen?
  • fastfishfood
    Options
    Thanks for the info toby14483

(..just wondering being a man, firemen dont really do it for me, hmmm wondering if i can get some nurses round in an ambulance, free health check maybe!)
  • Teresa60
    Teresa60 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    Mmmmmmmm did someone mention firemen?

Yes!!!!! I signed up for this and they kept ringing me to book a time. I couldnt believe it when they turned up in a fire engine too! Luckily all the neighbours were at work. But two very nice firemen came and put in two free smoke alarms. May need to ask them to come back and see if theyre still working!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BillyRay_2
    Options
    Hi folks,

I was surprised to find that the fire service will install smoke alarms in your house free of charge when you book a fire safety check with them. They will take you through a questionnaire and discuss fire safety - installing smoke alarms (including 10 year batteries) if you don't have any. All VERY well worth it.

Of course - this really comes out of your taxes, but it's nice to see where some of taxes are going, especially for such an important and potentially life saving service.

I don't know if this is specific to where I live (Rugby Borough and Warwickshire county councils).

You can request a visit here: http://www.fire.gov.uk/Home+safety/IsYourHomeSafe/FreeHomeSafetyCheck.htm

lifesavingexpert.com :)

Will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family