TUI plane seat reservation

Comments

• mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Never paid and have never been sat apart from OH.

We see no big deal in not paying and then having to sit apart for 3-4 hours, although appreciate others may not like it.

Daft thread TBH, ("emotional blackmail, rip off etc etc" :) ).... either pay or don't pay, presumably you will spend the next week/fortnight pretty much exclusively in one another's company anyway. :)
  • You are right Dave it is the nastiest emotional blackmail devised to squeeze extra money out of holiday makers, without doubt it is a legal but disgusting SCAM, which shows the consumer the ethics of the company with which they are dealing, and the contempt that TUi has for it's customers.
    The problem is there are many people like TadleyBaggie who will accept this blackmail, and probably for several reasons, mainly because they don't know who? to complain to, or are afraid to complain, or can afford the rip off, consumer organisations must aware about it, but say nothing and in my view the F.C.A. is just a toothless quango.
    It's all about being aware, and once the public have been made aware of who they can and should complain to the stream will become a river and that river will become a flood which makes a lot of noise, it does also make me wonder if the German owned TUi rip off their own customers as they do the English
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Tyler4402 wrote: »
    You are right Dave it is the nastiest emotional blackmail devised to squeeze extra money out of holiday makers, without doubt it is a legal but disgusting SCAM, which shows the consumer the ethics of the company with which they are dealing, and the contempt that TUi has for it's customers.
    The problem is there are many people like TadleyBaggie who will accept this blackmail, and probably for several reasons, mainly because they don't know who? to complain to, or are afraid to complain, or can afford the rip off, consumer organisations must aware about it, but say nothing and in my view the F.C.A. is just a toothless quango.
    It's all about being aware, and once the public have been made aware of who they can and should complain to the stream will become a river and that river will become a flood which makes a lot of noise, it does also make me wonder if the German owned TUi rip off their own customers as they do the English

Can a scam be legal? :think:
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Tyler4402 wrote: »
    You are right Dave it is the nastiest emotional blackmail devised to squeeze extra money out of holiday makers, without doubt it is a legal but disgusting SCAM, which shows the consumer the ethics of the company with which they are dealing, and the contempt that TUi has for it's customers.

Over the top ..
  • poshphil
    poshphil Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    On the subject of TUI seat reservations, I was double checking when we can select our seats for our holiday in August and it's basically 90 days before our return flight so a few months away yet. We're going for 2 weeks so does this mean we're disadvantaged on our flight out versus people going for a week, as their return flight will be 7 days before ours and so can choose the seats 7 days sooner?
  • MP5
    MP5 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have just tried to check in online with TUI, rules are if you don't pay in advance for the seat, you do not get to check in online, and must check in at the desk. I don't agree with this, I have traveled worldwide with most airlines and I have never checked in at the desk for over 15 years. Not impressed with their booking process, and would not book with them again. I am not even able to enter our passport details which I find quite disturbing.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 May 2019 at 2:44PM
    How on earth is it "disturbing"? Were you travelling to one of these countries:

USA, Canada, Mexico, China (except HKG), Japan, United Arab Emirates, Thailand, South Africa, Spain, Pakistan, Jamaica, Kenya, Algeria, Iran, Syria, Morocco?

And even if you were going to any of the above, most airlines allow you to submit your API on the day of your flight at check-in.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    MP5 wrote: »
    I have just tried to check in online with TUI, rules are if you don't pay in advance for the seat, you do not get to check in online, and must check in at the desk. I don't agree with this, I have traveled worldwide with most airlines and I have never checked in at the desk for over 15 years. Not impressed with their booking process, and would not book with them again. I am not even able to enter our passport details which I find quite disturbing.

I use Tui three or four times a year and always check in online. Two weeks before if I pay to reserve seats or one week with no reservation.

I always put in our API ahead of time.

My destinations are EU though so whether that makes a difference.
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just for information...

In short: Its worth checking earlier if you can make your seat selection as they may have opened the door earlier...
    Our return flight is 22nd Dec which makes our select our seat date for tomorrow (23rd Sept).

I was checking a few moments ago and noticed that it was already live! I didn't get an email to alert me of this however, maybe that will be later or at the time of the flight tomorrow...?

The config of the flight is 3x3 seating arrangement, but there is 4 of us. I tried to do the logical thing of selecting the full 3 + 1 next to the walk way. The website complained saying I was leaving a gap or not selecting a window seat! How annoying!

A quick call to them however had this resolved and just had the confirmation through with the seats we wanted to ensure we are together!
  • Even when you pay, you may find you cannot sit together. Tui!

Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane. On the return flight, rather than being in a row, the bride, groom and their two children are all seated behind each other. It is a long haul, night flight. One of the children is only young.

Tui offer a select a seat service, charge you for it, then change it. The only response so far is to all downgrade. However, the seats don't open until 90 days before flight.

Any ideas folks? Tui should have a contingency when passengers lose seats re operational reasons. Not according to the store though. Wish I had booked with Virgin now. I would like to cancel the holiday, but am told I will lose deposits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure