New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TUI plane seat reservation

98 replies 29.6K views

Replies

• zagfleszagfles Forumite
    16K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think if you re-read Glaswejen's post she gets priority choice of seats on BA (no mention of her flying other airlines so we don't know how they handle it ) so it wouldn't be a case of someone bagging one of the few seats that are suitable for her and refusing to move.
    Yes, that was the point. It's not like on a bus, where priority seats can be taken by anyone, but people are expected to move if someone with greater need gets on. The airlines don't rely on passengers to behave like civilised human beings and move if they can see someone with greater need, they make sure the situation doesn't arise in the first place.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes, that was the point. It's not like on a bus, where priority seats can be taken by anyone, but people are expected to move if someone with greater need gets on. The airlines don't rely on passengers to behave like civilised human beings and move if they can see someone with greater need, they make sure the situation doesn't arise in the first place.
    But obviously airlines don't recognise 'nervous flyer syndrome' as a 'greater need'.
    Otherwise, they too would get priority treatment like Glaswejen by being able to select their seats in advance of other passengers.

IIRC, this thread was about someone thinking it was a scam to have to pay to sit next to his 'loved ones'.
  • edited 5 November 2018 at 12:12PM
    pingupingu Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 November 2018 at 12:12PM
    {Edited by Forum Team}

CHECK IN SAID THEY ARE WAITING/HOPING PASSENGERS MIGHT PAY SO SEATS WERE AVAILABLE NOT ALREADY PAID FOR!!!

I will say it again NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL PAY and i have been flying a long time also i am aware of schedule airlines charging to pick seats on long haul i have travelled with my son few times and wife once and we were not separated once.

In fact coming back from turkey few years back my son a teenager then quite tall the check in looked at him and smiled when we boarded the plain we sat on exit seats:D

you entitled to your opinion and so am i dont reply to the message if it is not pointed to you which iam sure it wasnt!
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • Murphy_The_CatMurphy_The_Cat Forumite
    20.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just booked flights for next year and paid extra to ensure that the family group is split up - happy times.

16K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    But obviously airlines don't recognise 'nervous flyer syndrome' as a 'greater need'.
    Otherwise, they too would get priority treatment like Glaswejen by being able to select their seats in advance of other passengers.

IIRC, this thread was about someone thinking it was a scam to have to pay to sit next to his 'loved ones'.
    Well I'd prefer passengers and airlines to consider each others' mental health and emotional needs as well as physical, rather than get the ridiculous situation like in the US where airlines are forced to allowed "emotional support animals" on flights, including a pig in one case!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/28/emotional-support-animal-service-pet-flying-housing

Makes swapping seats to cater for an emotionally distressed child or adult seem rather a small price to pay, no?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    pingu wrote: »
    we might have to move(once boarding card issued how they were going to do that)

Very easily.
    They cancel your boarding passes, call you to the desk and give you the new ones.
    If you don't appear at the desk when called, you'll be pulled aside at the gate check before boarding and given the new boarding passes.
    :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    MFW #4 :) OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33
    2020 YTD £837.07 Jan £69.76, Feb £67.31, Mar £700.00
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • edited 3 November 2018 at 6:36PM
    motorguymotorguy Forumite
    20.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 November 2018 at 6:36PM
    daveleics wrote: »

I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.

Yes - its very easy to justify. People shop based on price. Its a competitive market so instead of offering an all inclusive service at a higher price you can pick and chose what you want. Why should someone who doesnt want a meal, doesnt mind where they sit and doesnt want to bring extra hand luggage on board pay as much as someone who does?

If you dont like it, dont pay it. Simples.

And no i'm not a mug - i look at the total holiday cost and decide if its worth paying. I dont get "outraged" because i'm expecting everything for free.
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pingu wrote: »
    then read again you tool and get that head out of your backside

CHECK IN SAID THEY ARE WAITING/HOPING PASSENGERS MIGHT PAY SO SEATS WERE AVAILABLE NOT ALREADY PAID FOR!!!

I will say it again NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL PAY and i have been flying a long time also i am aware of schedule airlines charging to pick seats on long haul i have travelled with my son few times and wife once and we were not separated once.

In fact coming back from turkey few years back my son a teenager then quite tall the check in looked at him and smiled when we boarded the plain we sat on exit seats:D

you entitled to your opinion and so am i dont reply to the message if it is not pointed to you which iam sure it wasnt!

WOW!
    Have you ever considered anger management counseling?
    Because I think you should. :whistle:
  • Murphy_The_CatMurphy_The_Cat Forumite
    20.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »

Yes - its very easy to justify. People shop based on price. Its a competitive market so instead of offering an all inclusive service at a higher price you can pick and chose what you want. Why should someone who doesnt want a meal, doesnt mind where they sit and doesnt want to bring extra hand luggage on board pay as much as someone who does?

Absolutely right - I was happy to have the opportunity to pick the seats of my choice for my trip, so I could choose who was/wasn't sitting next to me** and where we're going to sit **.

I'm a big unit and an extra £60 for huge legroom on a longhaul flight for me is money very well spent (and much better value than coughing up for PE).

16K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »

And no i'm not a mug - i look at the total holiday cost and decide if its worth paying. I dont get "outraged" because i'm expecting everything for free.
    AIUI it the the OPs issue isn't about paying to choose a "better" seat, it's about paying to be sat together, which doesn't incur any cost to the airline.

Imagine if cinemas, theatres, restaurants sports stadiums did the same. Pay extra or we won't sit you with your partner/family :rotfl:

But I don't think he/she need worry on TUI.