Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

TUI plane seat reservation - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TUI plane seat reservation

98 replies 29.6K views
14567810»

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mgdavid wrote: »
    8 people who want to 'celebrate and get in the mood etc' - on a longhaul night flight??
    The other passengers will no doubt be grateful that TUI have split you up!

I wondered that too, particularly when I read that two of them were the young children of the couple getting married.:(

On the more general point of paying for seats, it does seem to be getting a bit silly. DH and I have always paid for aisle seat on easyjet just behind the more expensive front ones (about rows 9 or 10).

Last week I booked a flight to Amsterdam with Flybe from my local airport. They wanted the best part of £18 for a seat anywhere on the aircraft. I'll just have to manage for an hour or so without my beloved. ;)
  • onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane.

Good for TUI. Nothing worse for neighbouring passengers than a group who decide to start the party early and get on board already tipsy and loud, only to carry on drinking in a confined space where nobody can escape them!
  • iwb100iwb100 Forumite
    328 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    You pay for the privilege of choosing your own seat. But what you do is "request" where you'd like to sit and ultimately the carriers decide if they can honour that.

I have no issue with it - apart from the cost of doing it creeps ever upwards. But I do it to choose where we sit. I find the people who don't pay and then inconvenience those who have by demanding they sit together, delaying things or forcing those who have paid to move - those people are the worst. If you didn't pay - you should have zero chance to move seats from those allocated to you. Regardless of the circumstances. And if you complain you should be immediately ejected from the flight.
  • daveleics wrote: »
    This article on skyscanners suggests I'm not alone:

79-won-t-pay-reserve-plane-seat:

"More than 500 people voted in the poll, with the majority saying they wouldn’t part with any extra money just to reserve their seat. 32% claimed it was just another ‘rip off’ tactic; 28% said reserved seating should be a basic right on all flights, and 20% said they’d rather travel with another airline that allows passengers to choose a seat for free."

Doesn't matter what the poll says and what are its results. As long as people are willing to pay for the seat allocation; airlines are going to charge for it. I don't think that it's fair, but let's be real.
  • Even when you pay, you may find you cannot sit together. Tui!

Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane. On the return flight, rather than being in a row, the bride, groom and their two children are all seated behind each other. It is a long haul, night flight. One of the children is only young.
    Surely an aircraft is the place to celebrate and get in the mood.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Shakeyvara27Shakeyvara27 Forumite
    56 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    22 quid a pop per person per flight now. i'd happily pay a tenner. but this is just theft. 
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even when you pay, you may find you cannot sit together. Tui!

Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane. On the return flight, rather than being in a row, the bride, groom and their two children are all seated behind each other. It is a long haul, night flight. One of the children is only young.
    Surely an aircraft is the place to celebrate and get in the mood.
    As long as you are not disturbing other passengers.
    They too have a right to enjoy the flight and if that means trying to sleep on an overnight flight, 8 people whooping it up is not acceptable.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    22 quid a pop per person per flight now. i'd happily pay a tenner. but this is just theft. 
    It's not theft.
    No airline is putting their hand in your pocket and taking your cash.
    No airline is accessing your bank account and taking your money.
    It's an option (key word) that has a cost attached to it.
    You choose to pay or choose not to pay.