New driveway and neighbours not happy.

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dedekind wrote: »
    Can you put something in the other half? Like some large pots with nice plants.. then the driveway has space for only one car, and if it ever needs two permanent spaces it's easy to amend. Visitors will have to park on the street though but that shouldn't be stopping them from visiting you

I like this idea too. It'll look pretty too, rather than an expanse of block paving, tarmac or gravel.

Depending on the layout, I'd (also) get long troughs to demarcate 'drive' from 'garden'.

As long as your neighborhood wouldn't just result in them being smashed or stolen!!;)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Insist that they allow you to use their bathroom.

Ok, I was coming in with sensible but you have just broken me with that comment! :)

I was going to say collapsible bollard that you put in the mouth of your driveway.

I know this has been going on for a while for you but just for your own piece of mind, "that ain't normal behaviour" on their part.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They really do sound creepy and weird.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Soot2006 wrote: »
    They really do sound creepy and weird.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

We had equally idiotic neighbours at our old house. We lived next to them for 12 years.

It was only when we moved in April that we realised what an effect the idiots were having on our lives.

It is all well and good suggesting to ignore them but sometimes that is much easier said then done and you can't under estimate the effect that bad neighbours have on your day to day life.

Thankfully now we have great neighbours :beer:
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Kiran wrote: »
    Ok, I was coming in with sensible but you have just broken me with that comment! :)
    Always glad to be of service :)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your neighbour sounds like a bully a proper little Hitler. The more you try to appease them the worse it will get - remember what happened to Neville Chamberlain? Ignore them and enjoy your new driveway.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 August 2019 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Thank you everybody. The plant pots is a good idea, I shall do that. I'm really tired of it all, I work really hard for everything I have, pour every penny into improving the house but I've almost come to hate getting home. I suspect some of the grief is that I'm doing the house up and can finance it, but that's because I spend very carefully.
    You've really cheered me up and given me some great ideas, thank you.

They aren't all like it at least. Some are lovely.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 August 2019 at 9:26AM
    Options
    The guilt tripping may not stop completely. You just have to rise above it.

We've owned a couple of fields, a large garden and some outbuildings for a while now, so we've become used to people in a nearby barnyard development asking for favours we don't wish to grant. Here's a selection:

Our internet connection isn't good enough for games, so could we have an air band company install a device on your house to beam the signal down to ours?

We have a massive motorised caravan and others are complaining it overlaps their parking spaces,. Your yard would be a great place to put it.

Our garden's very small. Could we rent some of yours?

Your fields look empty half the year. Could I take my child in there and teach him to shoot?

We can't use our recreational space here because dogs are banned, so could we walk them around your fields twice a day?

And the latest: We have a potential buyer for our house, but he needs a workshop. Could you make a space for him in your barn?

It might appear to some that we're greedy and selfish, hogging this smallholding for ourselves, but that's all it is, not a vast country estate. We just don't want to go into the garden and find Mr & Mrs Overlysociable already there, ready to discuss Brexit, nor do we require awkward contracts with air band companies, or dogs possibly worrying the sheep and trampling hay. We certainly don't need people shooting, especially minors.

Nevertheless, we hate the guilt trips we go on whenever people make these suggestions and we say, 'No.'

On their side, they see a couple of Boomers having a large area all to themselves, while they have tiny gardens, a courtyard, a badly-managed recreation space and not enough parking. They don't see the upkeep, the extra insurance, legal complications and the farming issues we have.

Well, they bought into their period barn conversions, same as we chose a tired and battered agricultural bungalow, and in each case the choice was freely made.

For a few neighbours, your grass may always be greener. As in my first post, just keep smiling and saying 'No' in the most pleasant way you can. Eventually, the complainers will find other targets, or move. All those who made the requests above, except the last one, already have.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lindze wrote: »
    What a horrid bunch to give you grief over something that doesn't concern them. If I was you, when they install the dropped kerb, I would also pay to have the white lines painted across your driveway entrance....park there and they can be given a ticket I think :)

The white H-bar or Access Protection Marking is an advisory marking, so not enforceable, however if you have told the Council anyone obstructing your dropped kerb can be issued a PCN, then if a CEO observes a vehicle adjacent to the dropped kerb, it will be issued a PCN.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had equally idiotic neighbours at our old house. We lived next to them for 12 years.

It was only when we moved in April that we realised what an effect the idiots were having on our lives.

It is all well and good suggesting to ignore them but sometimes that is much easier said then done and you can't under estimate the effect that bad neighbours have on your day to day life.

Thankfully now we have great neighbours :beer:

You're right. And you were resilient to put up with it for that long!

Our old neighbours were having an effect on our marriage, it was that stressful. Thankfully they left, but even 5 years on I remember that it was like being able to breathe again when they moved out. I hadn't realised how they'd affected everyday life either.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure