New driveway and neighbours not happy.

Options

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree- the whole thing smacks of jealousy. If they're the kind to get jealous over a driveway, they're the kind to get jealous over anything - the fact that you have a larger plot, that you have a nicer or different car, that you go to one supermarket and not another.

These people have nothing better in their lives than to be jealous and I would let them drown.

Focus on yourself and your own life. The only thing I'd do is stick a security camera up inside the house that overlooks the driveway just to make sure nothing funny happens (or if it does, it's recorded).
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    This is modern England unfortunately. Third World attitudes in the First World.

I have a chavette at the end of my road who's jealous of the renovations I'm doing. I ignore her as I would any other piece of irrelevant trash.
  • lindze
    lindze Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What a horrid bunch to give you grief over something that doesn't concern them. If I was you, when they install the dropped kerb, I would also pay to have the white lines painted across your driveway entrance....park there and they can be given a ticket I think :)
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've got the same problem - neighbours who moan about everything. My plants are either too tall, too short, too dense ... I can't win. The plants are in my garden, not over the boundary.
    So I've had to just shut my ears to it and get on with my life.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 October 2018 at 4:50PM
    Options
    It can be really annoying to neighbours when someone has a drive put in.

This is because people always have too many cars.

I have neighbours that had a double drive way. At one point they had 5 cars, two on the drive way, the rest on the street. Another neighbour has a semi-driveway (no dropped kerb) so no-one parks in front of their house except them, but they have three cars, which they often park outside other people's houses.

So I can understand why they would be annoyed.

Having drive ways put in reduces the amount of parking on the street but doesn't always reduce the number of cars parking on the street.

It will lead to resentment if you have visitors parking outside other people's houses when you have a driveway yourself.

Also because of the stupid way many people park, the more driveways you have the more half spaces you end up with. There are two driveways near me with two non-driveway houses inbetween. If people park sensibly you can fit four cars between the two driveways. But they NEVER do. You usually end up with two cars and three half spaces. So it does reduce the overall parking available.

It may be perfectly legal, but it will annoy the hell out of some people.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    I get that, but:
    stator wrote: »

I have neighbours that had a double drive way. At one point they had 5 cars, two on the drive way, the rest on the street. Another neighbour has a semi-driveway (no dropped kerb) so no-one parks in front of their house except them, but they have three cars, which they often park outside other people's houses.

I have one car.

Having drive ways put in reduces the amount of parking on the street but doesn't always reduce the number of cars parking on the street.

The space which has been removed was the space I used to park in. Because of where it is, only one car could park there previously. For the loss of one space on the road, it has generated an entrace to a space for 2+ cars.

Also because of the stupid way many people park, the more driveways you have the more half spaces you end up with. There are two driveways near me with two non-driveway houses inbetween. If people park sensibly you can fit four cars between the two driveways. But they NEVER do.

But it isn't my fault if they're useless at parking. I ALWAYS made sure I budged up.

I understand where you're coming from, but in my particular situation, the neighbour themselves said there isn't an issue with parking and they couldn't understand why I was having it done. Instead of being on the road, my car now has a space off-road and the space I parked in is now the driveway entrance.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I get that, but:

I have one car.

The space which has been removed was the space I used to park in. Because of where it is, only one car could park there previously. For the loss of one space on the road, it has generated an entrace to a space for 2+ cars.

But it isn't my fault if they're useless at parking. I ALWAYS made sure I budged up.

I understand where you're coming from, but in my particular situation, the neighbour themselves said there isn't an issue with parking and they couldn't understand why I was having it done. Instead of being on the road, my car now has a space off-road and the space I parked in is now the driveway entrance.
    You haven't quite 'got it' yet!

The above is all good stuff to throw back at the other poster, but why bother?

You sought and gained permission to make the improvements you made to your own property, so you don't need to explain your actions or justify them to anyone. :)
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Being new to a neighbourhood sometimes means you become the latest target for the local eejits.

There are also some neighbourhoods where it takes years to "belong". The local Facebook page for the village I just left often included references to "white settlers" (people like me, who did not grow up in the village).

It sounds like you have it pretty easy if you only have one set of weird neighbours.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lindze wrote: »
    What a horrid bunch to give you grief over something that doesn't concern them. If I was you, when they install the dropped kerb, I would also pay to have the white lines painted across your driveway entrance....park there and they can be given a ticket I think :)

Not unless there's a TRO preventing parking b
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tell them that you'll be getting an electric vehicle and will need somewhere to charge it. That should get them going..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure